GTX 970 lawsuit - what does this mean for Australians?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by super kermit, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

I think the difference used to be about 10% bigger, then the omega drivers came out and reduced the gap.
    Now the 290X's are pretty close, with the main difference being power consumption (and maybe PhysX if you care about that)

2. power

power Member

uhhh yes they are.

high-mid range.

3. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

No, they're high-end relatives of the 980.
    Titan X is "more-dollars-than-sense-end", where Nvidia charges insane prices because like Apple, they've built up a nice fanboy base that will pay that much even though it's a rip-off.
    960 and 280X are high-mid.

If the 970 is supposed to be "high-mid", then so is the 980. Because almost everybody was saying there was almost no difference between the two, and that only idiots would buy the 980.... until the >3.5GB memory issue was discovered.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

I would even go to high mid being 960 and 270.

Mid ranged cards are 260 and 750ti etc. 250 would be the low point of mid range.

Talk about poor economic times if 970 is considered mid ranged :lol: (sarcasm)

5. ska'

ska' Member

I've got a 970 Strix running 1600p... No problems at all thus far with the VRAM limit just can't have bullshit levels of AA as the card can't handle it. I didn't have any problems on my 7970 either and that "only" had 3gb..

The card works well for the $$ and in the end that's all that really matters.

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

yes, i'm worried the cost of power will get to me, that's why i paid "twice as much for 10% extra performance". oh wait i just don't want a heater in my pc

i have a 270x in my media pc, i had to return the first one because it kept overheating

7. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Oh noes, i have sold 20-30 270X's non have over heated.... mATX etc. However all are ASUS CUII or GB tri fan etc.

Just because you cant handle the hot card thats fine, however not everyone cares or expect air cooling to be silent. So its not black and white no option. Just in your little world.

8. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Not according to nVidia, who have stated that for the card to hit maximum bandwidth(224GB/s) both segments are used.
    Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-memory-issue-fully-explained/#ixzz3XwsfKMiq

9. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

It was a Asus CUII in a standard case with several 12cm and 14cm case fans. Anyway ati is known for making baking ovens and dodgy cards. Just look at X800 series with only SM2.0 and X1950 pro with single slot cooler. Then if you're lucky you have quarterly driver updates. It all comes together to a very unattractive package

10. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

The best you can do is to attack ATI on 9 and 10+ year old cards?

Let's not forget the GTX480...
    https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...AU611&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gtx480 overheat

Every single one of the 15 or so 8800GTX I've come across over the years is now non-functional, let's not forget about that either. Oh, the FX5900 was insanely loud too! How many GTX295 Dual-PCB cards are still functional today? I've seen a 80%+ failure rate over 10 years with those too.

Fanboy.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  11. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

my 8800GT broke as well. luckily i had the dual slot cooler X1950 Pro so i didn't have issue with that one. still cut about my X850XT PE when certain games refused to run on it, didn't make sense really because the SM3 features in games at that time weren't noticeable over SM2 anyway.

12. LordHole

LordHole (Banned or Deleted)

I've got a functional 8800GTX :confused:

13. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

8800GT, Join the club as nvidia are not known for their long lasting cards.

If you cant understand big cores mean lots of heat then oh well. In the good days of GPUs my 8800GTS 640MB use to get so hot it would overheat my CPU via the mobo. GOOD TIMES

Or the absolutely shit chipsets, asus striker 780 chipset would run so hot you needed two fans and a push down CPU cooler just so it wouldn't crash. Great memories of not being able to run 8800GTS 512MB SLI.

They were so bad IMO thats the main reason intel stopped letting others make chipsets for them, even VIA was more reliable.

Im for real they were good memories, maybe im not a fanboy enough to give a shit about apple oh i mean nvidia.

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I had a few 8800GT's and 9800GTX's die but it was owner induced (vmods and water cooling :D:D)

A workmate currently has a GTX660 non-Ti that is doing rainbow stuff and green polka dots on the screen .... so even a crappy stocker can die. Is this the kind of thing an oven job might fix??

:thumbup:

15. LordHole

LordHole (Banned or Deleted)

I hope a functional 8800GTX will be a collecters item one day.. Maybe I can get my 1K i payed for it back :D

16. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Then they're wrong/lying, because every test shows that it can't reach 224GB/s.
    Every test is consistent with the reality of it being 7/8ths of the full bandwidth when the first 3.5GB is used, and 1/8th when the last 0.5GB is used.

And you still haven't answered the question: If there were no problems accessing both the 3.5GB and 0.5GB portion simultaneously, why would they have bothered segmenting them?

But I think you're just interpreting it incorrectly:
    This does not say they can access both simultaneously.
    I mean, you could have data stored in both of them simultaneously, but you cannot read/write to them simultaneously (a completely different thing), unless you are willing to accept crippling bandwidth.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015