GTX 970 lawsuit - what does this mean for Australians?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by super kermit, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Supersize

Supersize Member

Technically Nvidia did acknowledge a fault and a miscommunication:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/

As none of this was disclosed and drastically reduces "advertised" performance of the card you are entitled to a full refund.

ACCC Misleading claims & advertising:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/misleading-claims-advertising

2. one80

one80 Member

Interesting... I emailed MSY and they responded that they'd only accept a return if faulty and not under anything to do with the 970 issues

3. Linkin

Linkin Member

Pissweak excuse. They cannot ignore consumer rights. Force the issue.

4. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

they will though bury their heads in the sand till near the end of time on occasion. I heard on Saturday at MSY slacks creek the only guy behind the counter telling an asian lady who had just purchased a laptop that they only deal with warranty for up to one year then she had to go to manufacturer.... While she was standing beside the sign the ACCC made them hang everywhere in the showrooms after relieving them of $200k in fines.

5. .Spada.

.Spada. Member

PCCG had no problems with my friend returning his MSI 970. He sent them an e-mail, and the reply he got was something like "it still performs like it should, but you can return it if you wish." He went down, returned it, and got his money back right away.

6. Osir1s

Osir1s Member

Some of you need to chill, the ACCC isn't some white knight who instantly rides is slapping $200K fines around, get them involved if you feel passionately about it but its a process you are not going to get instant results.

I suspect just as you are getting frustrated with these small IT retailers they are having the same battle with their suppliers to take the cards back who are having the same battle with Nvidia who are just blogging away saying its a misunderstood feature not an issue/fault.

I have no doubt you guys will get your refund/upgrades in the end but I don't blame small retailers for being reluctant to open the doors given the situation especially towards those who have had their cards for a while now.

The retailers who are getting ahead of the curve and offering the upgrades or refunds should be noted though as those are the guys worthy of your dollars in the future.

7. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

I just said the above, they're telling me they're helping out of good faith. Let's see what they say. Worst case I'm going to have to return the 980 I ordered and kill myself over this.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Amazon is refunding me both cards + full shipping. Just asked and they said yes. So much for people scared of buying from overseas and buy local instead lol.

9. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

That is amazing

10. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

I've had my card 2 days and cop fps dips all the time and it's annoying, this kind of money on a card shouldn't do this. Dips as in, down to 1fps and back up.

My amd piece of shit 280x's in crossfire didn't even do that with 2gb vram.

It's a problem, it needs to be addressed. I use the memory, most people most likely don't so it may appear to be a small issue overall.

11. antenna

antenna Member

You've had it two days? Kind of unhelpful of PCCG but I can see where they are coming from. I imagine the specs advertised on their site are correct at this stage with the issues also having been known about for a few weeks now. Might have more of a complaint if you had bought it beforehand.

12. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

I get it entirely I would do the same but that's part of running a business. They got a product that isn't upto par, they need to sort it out with their distributor, not me the consumer. I paid good money for something that is affecting my experience, what more do I need to say eh?

13. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Ok I am going to rage a little..... :Paranoid:

You seriously bought these cards two days ago and now think this is the fault of Nvidia? FFS this shit is well known, any research online would have thrown this problem up. This is your purchasing fuck up really. That said asking to return within 2 days of purchase due to poor performance should really be OK and not unreasonable.

The 970 is about $400 cheaper than a 980 and none of the reviews recommended them for gaming in 4K. Actually the performance in the reviews at 4K is positively shit. On older titles it is still shit. Even if you wished for perfect SLI scaling they would be lucky to push 60Hz on 4K. Why the fuck to people try to play a game at that resolution, the hardware simply isn't up to it and it baffles me why they then act all butthurt when the card/s struggles. Who gives a fuck how many ROPs flops or drops it has, 4K or anything near it was never going to give a awesome gaming experience unless everything was turned down and what is the point in that?

And then stuff around the web about using Kombuster and belting them with 4GB to show the issue...WTF why would you do this if non of your real applications (games) cannot do this. I can crash my card and blue screen the computer benching it at its limit...so what... it isn't a warranty issue. Fuck pretty sure I could wreck the drivetrain in my car tomorrow if I loaded it to its maximum load capacity and took it to the drags for repeated runs.

Personally this is not a problem for me but my goal is 144Hz at 1080p. I did some testing in another thread using DSR and could only get BF4 to throw 2.4GB at my card and it ran 1440p equivalent at 90 FPS no problem. I didn't bother with 4K due to not even seeing this as a legitimate FPS gaming resolution.

I would love to pick up another for SLI..... $250 sounds fair for the "useless junk" out there. :D

14. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

settle yourself mate. I just stated, didnt jump up and down or carry on in regards to anything, just again stating that we do indeed have rights and that retailers are well aware but just refuse. No untruths or wild claims or hysterics involved. Was all nice and calm. :thumbup:

15. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

Rage away, I get what you're saying. I should have done research to see that the problem exist, but instead I chose to read nvidia/pact advertisement and went with it.

I'm not benchmarking, I'm testing.

As for real game applications, I get dips. Maybe every 3-4 minutes I cop one dip, a dip is a dip, it ain't up to scratch. My comp is a fresh build and been running beautifully, other than the new dips.

It is what it is. I would like a refund, I have every right, considering the circumstance. Next time, I will ensure I do more research before I buy a card that I would expect to be upto date with technology. 4gb of vram, you would think its enough. I get 60fps, I just cop frame dips and it's annoying.

16. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

This in bold is the problem.

Back in 2001 I was running 1600x1200 (at 100Hz CRT refresh rate). That's 14 years ago now. As a pixel fillrate that's 0.192 GPx/s..

Your 144Hz @ 1080p is an 8% resolution increase and a 44% refresh rate increase. A pixel fillrate of 0.298 GPx/s.

55% increase overall. 14 years later... :lol:

We need 4K to get:

* The resolution increase we deserve after all these years
    * The technology / data bus upgrades we deserve after all these years (i.e. optical interconnects like the Thunderbolt Prototype or very high bandwidth copper interconnects with "smart" features like daisy-chaining)
    * The game / engine optimisations and texture resolution improvements we deserve after all these years (console-port #5 or 6 in a series games need to make way for the real deal)

Standardising on 1080p or even 1440p for gaming is a joke considering how far the tech has come. With Intel and nVidia effectively monopolising their markets - we need other players in the game - panel manufacturers and monitor manufacturers - to push the boundaries and keep the two on their toes.

17. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

Each have their own gaming preference. I don't play fps much, I prefer a more immersive experience. I have severa 120hz monitors, just don't use em. Sure they'll run great with the 970, but not my 950 dollar aoc.

18. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Sure it doesn't seem much but if I run 3DMark01 I get a bazillion FPS. Hell it pushes massive FPS on a shitty GT610. The graphics and textures are just a little more demanding here in 2015. :D

19. OP
    OP
    super kermit

super kermit Member

So if people are buying from overseas, which site?

But then again an ASUS 980 strix is 840 from MSY vs 815 from new egg.

Why would you not support a local retailer for such a small difference?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  20. DNX

DNX Member

My cards were ordered on 1/1/15 before I read/knew about the different specs.

Unless NVidia come to the party as retailer doesn't want to, I will hold onto them until the 6/8GB GTX980's appear and then buy a couple of those and pass the 970's on.

No point really stressing about it.