GTX 970 lawsuit - what does this mean for Australians?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by super kermit, Feb 25, 2015.

1. RaGH

RaGH Member

So when is the fire sale of all the returned units? I'm still on 1080p with two gtx 460s. Am quite happy currently but two 970s wouldn't go astray if they end up being sold cheap.

2. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I get stutters well below 3.5GB. Software shows max about 2.1 GB in BF4 on my settings (Ultra with no AA) Not sure what is happening as it can happen when pushing 160 FPS and the FPS counter doesn't budge. Probably need to run something that graphs it (actually precision X will do this so will run tonight).

Would be surprised if it is the ram causing it, but reckon it could be a driver issue or something. Might go and make sure I have all Direct X updates etc. Previous problems with stutter was a windows type C++ or something odd required on my W7 OS. Currently running W8.1 with BF4 on the same SSD.

My BLCK has been bouncing a bit too, which is a bit weird and may be causing issues. Think it might be time to move on from 450W PSU.... the little fella may be at its limits. Noticed it had pushed its lowest 12v I have seen the other night too (still stronger than a crappy Bronze rated 750W I have though). Time to connect the beast PSU me thinks.

3. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

And if they implement DX12 like it is meant to be, you will effectively have 7.2GB of fast memory to play with then. Problem sort of vanishes at that point.

4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Other than seeing 3.7Gb in afterburner has anyone had any actual issues from this? ie Game is unplayable, stutters etc?

:thumbup:

5. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

Never unplayable, just random frame dips

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

DX12 will address both banks of vram separately?

7. cokes26

cokes26 Member

apparently and it will also treat cards in SLI / CROSSFIRE as one and even possibly let you do multiple cards from both vendors

sounds pretty impressive it is going to live up to it

8. Saiyan_Overlord

Saiyan_Overlord Member

So about to go to MSY Auburn now to return my GTX 970 (been meaning to for the past few weeks). Hope I have no drama or hassles, because I hate when guys who work in computer shops start being dicks to you (and I practically did the role of 3-4 people for 2 years at a Mosman PC shop, worked along at least 2 younger guys being dicks to customers, however their have been times where the customer has NFI what they are on about and been a dick to us as well).

Long story short: anyone that gives you bad customer service in a PC shop or a customer who you can prove who has NFI what they are on about (IE: 'ZOMG I HAVE A VIRUS AND ITS UR FAULT NOT MINE I HAVE AN AV AND LOOK AT PRON SAFELY AND DOWNLOAD ALL TEH 1337 TORRENTZ!!!!1111one' - had a few retards like this) usually, in my experience, have the IQ of a peanut!

9. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Good luck, let us know how you go ...

;)

10. Saiyan_Overlord

Saiyan_Overlord Member

No questions asked swap, checked everything was in the box and got a gainward GTX 980 for $150 more :D

11. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

Wow... I'm never buying from pccg again.

They have truly disappointed me.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

go by the book. write an email asking again for what you want and why (under aussie consumer laws) they are required to refund/replace.
    when you get the answer of no we wont be doing that (on email) you can start a process up with accc.
    simple
    and they will (probably) fold faster than superman on laundry day
    :Pirate:

13. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

I know but I shouldn't have to go through it. It's a clear problem with the product, it's their problem, not mine.

I can get them to fold, I just should not have to. Good on msy for not being pains.

14. Supersize

Supersize Member

Found this a very useful list:

Contacts for Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading/Consumer Protection departments
    and Tribunals and Small Claims courts

http://www.complaintline.com.au/consumeraffairs.html

15. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Does anyone else find the whole concept juvenile and pointless? Seems like a group tantrum to me... ?

Edit: the lawsuit I mean, specifically. Obviously faulty cards are faulty cards, but a class action suit? Meh

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

MSY are only playing ball because they have been "hammered" by the accc before ...
    i seem to remember a several hundred thousand dollar fine for them :confused:

edit - it appears my memory is doing OK these days

http://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...00-for-false-and-misleading-consumer-warranty

edit 2 - the page that MSY are required to display by the accc slapdown

http://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Refunds and remedies counter display.pdf

so it seems very clear to me that with all the kerfuffle about people not wanting them, that the very first point in that link stands to hold true
    it is certainly stopping me from buying one now. and im sure a quick survey monkey poll could show that most people would be put off ....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  17. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

So did they seem to be aware of the situation? Or did you have to explain it?

18. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

It's tantrum to an extent, we all need a place to vent out frustration. I would hve just raged at them and threatened them with loads of stuff I wasn't able to communicate with people here lmao. But I took the calm route and am giving it a chance. I like pccg' business model and other things, but I'm a bit disappointed in their customer service, it's very pushy and unwelcoming.

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

Still waiting for the cheap firesale.. :)
    waiting waiting waiting....

20. kix

kix Member

I know right.
    Nvidia the tightarses could at least slash the price by about $100.