GTX 970 lawsuit - what does this mean for Australians?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by super kermit, Feb 25, 2015.

1. iNoob

iNoob Member

As above, I can't wait for the firesale lol

2. josh_676

josh_676 Member

I feel terrible for buying a 970 now. It's not even an upgrade from my 9790.

3. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

So did I lol

4. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I added about 60pfs coming from a strong GTX670 (Asus DC2 Top).

Installed the latest drivers after playing last night. Yet to run them in BF4 but will be interesting to see how they go as in a number of games they are claiming reasonable improvements.

I have also been playing and running background monitoring trying to work out what the stutters are. Frame time is moving from about 6ms to 8ms however the FPS isn't dropping significantly or at least the drop isn't long enough for the dip to show in the graph. Some serious monitoring software or the frame time variance stuff the review websites use might show something different.

I am still having random unstable BLCK, which whilst well within the capabilities of the CPU to handle, it might be upsetting the card, particularly when it runs at 1354mHz all game (well above the rated 1280 boost clock).

5. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

They broke SLI with one of the updates in the past few months. Before that, my 980 SLI was pretty good (even at 5760x1200, which I used then). After SLI broke, 980 overclocked is struggling at 3440x1440, just saying. It's to the point where I'm not going to play it until SLI is fixed again.

Sorry for slightly OT, but relevant to anyone thinking of rushing out to a 980 for purely for playing SC @max.

6. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

No, cause it it is quite clear Nvidia are not going to come to the party and offer to fix the issue with partial refunds for those who want to keep the cards, nor assist in those who want refunds. Some US retailers (Amazon & Newegg) have been giving 20-30% refunds to customers. So If Nvidia isn't budging the only way is through the courts.

Lawyers are the only people who are going to make the money out of this. But will Nvidia consider doing a similar stunt again or any other manufacturer for that matter.

Have you read Huang's post?

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

8. kix

kix Member

So why don't they reduce the cost of the cards by the same percentage? :confused:

9. Maneki_Neko

Maneki_Neko Member

Agreed

Today a minimum gaming size is a 30" monitor (mine cost $600 well within consumers average reach), my tablet has an EQUAL screen resolution of 2560x1600 and we are indeed moving towards 4k not just in gaming.
    It's not only a problem for people wanting to play FPS's at 4k; 4k monitors are extremely useful for immersion gaming, for productivity & yes that includes video editing or 3d modelling.

Saying we should be happy that a 'made for 4k gaming' introductory card by Nvidia only gets good results on bygone years push for a standardised 1080p (a push to allow ease of console porting no doubt) resolution is simply ludicrous.

People pay for a new product for new advances in capability; not the same old performance, and especially not the same old performance when it has been marketed as improved performance.

10. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

By 12.5%? That is the amount of ram not being used properly.

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

But when it is being used the FPS drop by what... 70%?
    That sounds like a reasonable discount...

12. JamalH

JamalH Member

This is the fucking worst attempt at damage control ive ever seen.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

As CEO, he's duty bound to release a cruddy statement like that :)
    Hope the law talkin yankies hammer em to pieces

14. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Steam survey shows most people on 1080p or less. That is what the masses are gaming on, and there are a lot of cards that push that well. 970 pushes that exceptionally well.

Anyone who thinks current 1080p games look shit, go and get a game from 2010..... they are fucking shite compared to the latest stuff. Or even a XBone/PS4 game and compare it to the PC equivalent.... priceless.

EDIT: ... Nvidia Geforce Experience has just downloaded "Optimised" profile for BF4 and it is dropping textures, mesh and effects down from Ultra to medium. Interestingly it has increased DSR so effective resolution has gone from 1920x1080p to 2715x1527.... fucking weird shit there but they must reckon the card can take it. I will test and see how it looks.

EDIT 2: Just played a bit..... 54FPS.....2.3GB ram...... not nice my monitor set for 144hz didn't particularly like it but the card ran fine. If I was on a 60Hz monitor would have been fine.

970s do not have a problem at 1440p. It is only 4K they are hitting their wall.

Hardly anything can push 4K well. SLI 980's are lucky to hit 60 FPS in AAA titles. That is $1500+ in cards struggling to run a $600 monitor well. That is fucked value.

I think Nvidia should be giving full refunds, but I also think there is excessive amounts of people claiming butthurt when really they are experiencing none.

The big test will be what DX12 does with the VRam. It will pretty much render the current problem null and void.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  15. Flat-6

Flat-6 Member

Irrespective of cost, to say that today's minimum gaming monitor size is 30' is a bit over the top.

To put it in perspective - Today's minimum to run at 4K is 2x SLI 980's - Why buy a 970 in the first place if aiming to run at those resolutions.

Many find 27' is pretty much optimum for fast fps type games - Go too big and it becomes harder to follow the action.

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

How about 2007?

RE: people whining about 4k performance, as long as consoles exist and churn out 30/60fps <1080p titles dont ever expect amazing FPS on PC hardware due to crappy ports from console.. ill stick to 1080p as long as I can.

minimum 30" are you kidding? anything over 24" puts you at a competitive disadvantage.. id say the minimum is 20".. you sit 1ft away from it remember..

and as for 4k being immersive, meh @ 60hz not really.. immersion for me is fluidity.. 4k @ 144hz would be immersive (but impossible to hold that kind of fps)

17. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yeah I was thinking what is the oldest game I have on my PC currently that I have used my 970 in...... BFBC2 it is. :D

18. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

so until 144hz monitors came out games weren't "fluid"? or were you still running a shitty old crt :lol:

OT: emailed the store i bought my 970 from to see whether they're taking returns. seems hit and miss judging from this thread, even when dealing with the same chain. nvidia is being really dodgy about this, how could they think they'd get away with it. nerds always find the tiniest issues and make the biggest deal out of it. at least nvidia cards don't run at 100 degrees like ATi and have proper drivers.

19. Nian

Nian Member

If enough of you poor sods who own a 4Gb GTX-970, call the ACCC. They will investigate and hammer the shit out of NVidia. We in Australia don't need class actions. Just call the relevant authorities.

Australia has amazing consumer laws, the USA does not.

20. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

Worst case I will :)