1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

GTX 980 or R9 290x

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Modzy, Nov 20, 2014.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

lets both go through last 20 pages of

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1007067
    &
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1054932

and see how many people post about wanting to change teams, bet I win.. Also Origin PC's dumped AMD due to higher failure rate..

I am not saying 1080p is cool you douche.. just showing that your comment that GTX980 @ 1080p is stupid when it isnt for 120hz users as the card wont hold 120fps in all games @ 1080/1200p.. for 60hz yes its a bit overkill (but since when does OCAU whinge about overkill?)

and for FPS gaming Hz > Res any day.

I run a computer business and often use AMD for customers due to bang for buck, only build ~ 30 pc's a year with AMD and pretty sure all were fine in last 12 months, not saying they all die but from my experience on OCAU seen more AMD then Nvidia whingers.. not always hardware, often shitty drivers.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Oh how scientific.

Sounds legit.

Here ya go, quality drivers since forever.

http://gizmodo.com/373076/nvidia-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-2007

Let the fanboy rage flow.

HOLDENS ARE BETTER THEN FORDS

3. TamTam79

TamTam79 Member

Super mature argument, this one.

4. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

I feel like a mod might need to clean this up.

I was chasing Crossfire issues about 6 years ago with a 3870x2; my last ATi card. It's nice to see things have improved since them.

But since my 285GTX kicked the bucket yesterday I'm in the market for another card again, but I haven't followed the green/red competition for years. The 285 was starting to get a little slow anyway.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah ill leave the argument he clearly had no rebuttle to all my other points.. And provides 8 year old link..

To op IMHO overall the 980 is way to go for sure unless 290x has a big price drop.. Or if you can wait a little the 390x will soon be king which will force 290x (while they last) and 980 prices down.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  6. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

You had no true points only conjecture.

Basing an opinion on opinions of noisy cry babies is not going to get you the noble prize.

Please address my OP properly not just post a link to a game at 1080P and assume your low res TN panels are suited to everyone and base you whole argument around that.

Simply the 290X is already a LOT cheaper. So much so its really a competitor to the 970 not the 980.

There is nothing wrong with my orig comment.

7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I provided two links showing < 120fps on 1080p, wanting FPS to match your refresh rate isn't foolish, thus the fool is you.

as for AMD reliability, yes using OCAU is not an accurate picture of the world wide state of things but being the biggest enthusiast site in Australia, to see more AMD issues then Nvidia suggests something (unless AMD users are far more than Nvidia on these forums) personally I've had two AMD's die and 1 Nvidia (but that could just be coincidence)

Price wise, yes $180 or so more for a GTX 980 but that gets you a faster/quieter/more efficient card with superior drivers.. if you are penny pinching 290X... but if you want the better card and willing to pay so GTX980.. but yes 970 is a better comparison and I couldn't recommend a better card @ $500 price range.

and have a read..

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Failure-Rates-by-Generation-563/

8. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Why cant they get better FPS? 980 gets 100FPS here at 1920x1200 at 2560x1440 290X and 980 are separated by a whole 4-6fps depending on model. so 8% improvement for what 30-50% more bucks...

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_g1_gaming_review,15.html

Do go on about how the 980 is 40% better because of drivers.

My point still stands, the only real reason to get a GTX980 is heat and noise and that comes at a large cost to your wallet

9. gmeup

gmeup Member

My experience, and I have owned almost every top end Card from nvidia and Amd for past 10 years is that Nvidia have always been more stable than AMD.

Also sli vs crossfire I have found sli works better in more games.
    For these reasons I prefer Nvidia cards as the performance are similar so I prefer to have a card than is stable and the drivers for Nvidia are much better than AMD cards.

10. spizzer

spizzer Member

Both are GOOD!!!!! cards but Amd/ATI drivers have always been rubbish,
    ya always had to find the sweet driver for them to work otherwise they would throw a hissy! now this hasn't changed since 9800pro days!!!.

Nvidia tho has had a lot of shit come from them in years gone by (fx series) but have been supported a lot better drivers wise and generally jus work like they should!

11. TamTam79

TamTam79 Member

Funny about this though. I went red after getting sick and tired of having to manually edit Nvidia driver .ini's to get proper HDMI performance with my screen.

Unfortunately, the most recent AMD drivers have no produced the same issue, so I'm staying on 14.4 until someone can tell me how to fix it.

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

more like you dodged my valid points about 1080p and reliability :tongue:

yes 290x better bang for buck in high res' but that comes at a cost.. you also get lower power usage, more reliable hardware and better drivers with Nvidia.

A VW golf R is good bang for buck but if you can afford it, why not just go straight for an audi RS3?

13. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

1080P??? what about it? Bring on 5K and welcome to the 21st century

computer dies Fucking Intel CPUs are shit right? oh yeah most likely just the boards are failing not the cores. Same goes for GPUs, brand really does matter.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

you dodge topics like a politician for the 3rd time my 1080p argument was in relation to your stupid post about a 980 being overkill for 1080p..

I am all for 4k/5k/10k but ill be waiting until they can do at least 100hz :thumbup:

15. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

[ HyRax1 edit: You can make your point without the abuse. Have 24 hours to think about it. ]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  16. gmeup

gmeup Member

The 9800 pro was an awesome card for its time, but back than there was no sli/crossfire which made things more simple. Also ati owned the company not AMD and I believe were on top of their game at the time.

17. Bertross

Bertross Member

always so passionate about GPUs, dont worry Deathy 390x is out soon enough.

18. «¥» Plump-DJ®

«¥» Plump-DJ® Member

Gotta say.. these threads always seem to go south so quickly.

Lots of people saying AMD drivers are crap but having run AMD cards for the last few generations I've never had a single issue that I thought was driver related. I mean performance and stability have always been good on my last few Radeons.

The big thing that AMD has going is price. An R290X at the moment with after market cooling from ASUS/EVGA/Whoever is an awesome card and represents really good value for money. They're quiet (certainly compared to the reference) and powerful and a good price.

The thing that people need to remember is that without AMD you'd be paying 1000$ for your Nvidia cards. Don't forget that...

19. OP
    OP
    Modzy

Modzy Member

As I said in my original post.... "All the Fanboy crap aside"...... LoL
    I have gone with a GTX980 and not disappointed.... I'll basically go with whatever will give me what I need... That was Nvidia for a while, then ATI, now back to Nvidia..... Ford, Holden, Tomato, Tomayto......

Getting as good and sometimes better performance than the pair of 7970's, which gave me too much grief running crossfire, that half the time crossfire was disabled.......

I'm running a single 3440x1440 monitor and very happy with performance.....

Will stay tuned though, as the banter is quite amusing.......

Potato, Potarto.......

20. renren

renren Member

I'm tempted to go with the MSI Radeon R9 290X Gaming 4GB which is currently $439. With a bit of an overclock + my 1440p screen, I think it's a pretty good choice! :D