GTX 980Ti Gaming 1 6GB randomly dropping monitor into Power Saving Mode when gaming?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by GDavid, Aug 28, 2017.

1. GDavid

GDavid Member

Purchased a Gigabyte Gaming GTX 980Ti 6GB from the forums and dropped it into my Win10Pro Z170 / i5-7600K and since adding the GPU my monitor randomly goes into "Power Saving Mode" mid-game.
    I cannot Alt-Tab or anything else to "wake" the monitor, but can still hear TS/Discord and all I seem to be able to do is reset the PC which is really doing my head in... :(
    I've tried all the Power setting I'm aware of within windows, but I'm no sysadmin...
    It's probably a simple one, but I'd really appreciate some help as this is the most expensive card I've ever owned and run...

2. im late

im late Member

I am assuming you removed all drivers of the video card before installing the latest driver from nvidia?

they should just drop in and work, bar driver conflicts.

3. jamieyn

jamieyn Member

A few things to try:

-it could be the card overheating
    Run something like HWmonitor to log the temps of the card - then run a looping benchmark perhaps?

-it could be a cable thats marginal
    tried a different cable - maybe even a different sort (eg - you use DVI, try HDMI or displayport).

-it could be a port on the card (I had a gigabyte 980ti - and one of the DVI ports was dodgy - try using the other).

-your PSU is able to support the card?

Good luck!

4. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

A number of great suggestions above mate, and I've sent you a PM :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    GDavid

GDavid Member

Thanks guys, your advice was what helped me sort the issue. :thumbup:

• Yes, I'd removed the drivers with DDU even though I was updating an earlier Nvidia card. :thumbup:
    • Good to see you again jamieyn :)
    • Monitoring software, but the display drop-outs were boning me and the temps were within range... :upset:
    • As suggested, tried cables ($19 DP but not the issue), even checked the HDMI, DVI-D to HDMI, DVI-D to DP, DVI-D, DP cables and ports... :Paranoid:
    • EVGA 850W G2 Supernova ought to be well within requirements too...

The resolution by confession... I got a strange error message (regarding PCIE power) during a re-boot which led me to remove the case cover again: my dual 8 pin power cables from the PSU seemed to not be fully seated... :o
    The excuse... My PSU is way too big for my Temjin TJ08 case and I failed to seat the connections properly when changing the modular cables, luckily I was able to get a good seating by using a screwdriver against the back of the plug this time rather than my fingers...

So thanks again for your help, you guys rock! :thumbup:

6. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

A pleasure to help, glad you got it sorted :thumbup:

7. jamieyn

jamieyn Member

Glad its worked out! The 980ti is still a beast of a card - Enjoy! :thumbup: