1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

GTX670 sli will not work

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by rubixcube, Mar 11, 2014.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Member

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H BIOS F8 (latest)
    2 x 2GB EVGA GTX670 BIOS 80.04.5C.00.F0 (latest I think)
    W7 Pro x64
    Seasonic X650 PSU

I have tried every combination I can think of to get SLI working, including multiple DDU runs and even a fresh install of W7 pro x64.
    No matter what I do I cannot get the second card to show up in device manager. The supplementary SATA PCIE power connector is also connected as recommended in the manual.

Both card A and card B work perfectly fine in either pcie slot 1 or slot 2 independently, but as soon as I put both in tandem, card B is never detected by device manager, even if it is in the top slot (which is usually the slot that is meant to display output by default, is it not?). Both cards run heaven bench perfectly fine.

So essentially
    Card A/B in slot 1 by itself = all good
    Card A/B in slot 2 by itself = all good
    Card A in slot 1, card B in slot 2 = card B not showing in device manager
    Card A in slot 2, card B in slot 1 = card B not showing in device manager

I have done all the googling in the world but either people's questions go unanswered, or its something stupid like they didn't click the card in properly. Not the case here, as I have reshuffled them countless times. PSU is brand spanking new, and even running one card off my spare PSU it still made no difference so I think that is ruled out.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. das1604

das1604 Member

A 650w Power Supply might not be enough to power the second card, depending on what other components you have in your rig.

Can you post your entire hardware setup?

3. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

CPU is 4670K running stock, and 2 hard drives.

From everything I've read a good quality 650W PSU is more than plenty for 2 gtx670s. And they should still detect fine even without enough juice, just at load they wouldnt work.

Guru3d 2way/3way SLI review he saw 433W at full stress with a core i7 965E

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_and_3way_sli_review,4.html

4. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Isn't it worth testing with another PSU to at least rule it out? You might have a dud cable or unit and just not know it.

5. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

Just frankensteined my second PC, jumpered the PSU atx connector and used it to power the video cards. No difference :(

Edit: Success! It will detect both cards with one in the bottom slot and one in the top slot -- but GPU-Z shows it running as PCIE2.0 @ 4x which means this isnt the PCIE3.0 8x slot that the manual says to run it in.
    So it's looking like the motherboard is fooked? Even though it can run one card in the PCIE3.0 8x middle slot, it can't run one in both the top and middle slots..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  6. renren

renren Member

Have you tried a different SLI bridge? I had endless trouble when I first set up SLI - had two broken bridges in a row.

7. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

Probably a silly question, but you aren't running any other PCI-E cards in the 4x slot or anything like that?

The CPU is providing the PCI-E lanes and there are only so many it can provide. [Edit] What I had here I read incorrectly sorry! [/edit]

Something to consider.

8. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

See my edit above :)

No bridge shouldn't stop detection of cards though? On my old system with GTX275s the nvidia panel just used to say "please connect the bridge for optimal performance" or something like that. Most cards don't actually need it.

They do both show up in the device manager if I put them in slot 1 & 3 with no bridge though. But slot 3 is a PCIE 2.0 4x so that's undesirable :(

The only other addon card I have is a PCIE 1x sound card, but I've tried without it and it makes no difference

9. issa2006

issa2006 Member

iv got 2x 670 gigabyte oc cards in sli 2700k oc 4.6 air 32gram + usb 3.9 nec+ card+ sound blaster too (1250w psu evermax) z68 asrock both card work at x8 pci-e v2.0

gpu meter (gadget will tell you if 1 or both card run x x8 etc?

gpu-z?

10. Partha

Partha Member

The SLI connector bit in Card B itself is not broken ?

EDIT: Should have read more carefully that even the device manager is not detecting the second card in SLI condition.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  11. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

I've just tried slot 1 and 3 and it detects both cards. No sli option in nvidia control panel, but thats beside the point.

Slot 2 on its own = fine.
    Slot 1 and 2 = only one card detected.
    Slot 2 and 3 = only one card detected.
    Slot 1 and 3 = both cards detected.

Safe to say something is up with slot 2 since it wont work when there's a pair of cards involving slot 2. Looks like it's back to the shop for RMA... :( sigh.

12. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

I had the same problem, same motherboard. Try running your pcie slots in pcie 2 mode.

Edit: So far as I can tell, I haven't taken a performance hit. I don't think the cards are powerful enough to need the pcie 3 lanes

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  13. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

BIOS Setting PCIE Gen 2?

Tried that, doesn't work :(

14. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

With both of them in the 16x slots, can you get both to show up in the device manager at all? I had problems where one of mine would come up, but with an error.

Is your integrated graphics disabled?

Have you tried booting without the SLI bridge?

15. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

iGFX off, bridge on or bridge off, still only 1 shows up :( can only get both to detect when in top 16x and bottom 4x slot, which is not how it's meant to be configured :(

What BIOS version are you on? Gigabyte provided me with F9B but it hasn't helped

16. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

Bizarre. I'm running F7, might be worth rolling back to it and see if that works.

17. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

Alright I might try that, thanks!

18. mrthong

mrthong Member

Try on a different motherboard? To rule out your mobo isn't faulty. I have a feeling it is broken, it should be a plug and play. From my previous and current motherboards, I didn't have to modify the bios to get sli working. If you can, try another psu as well, just to rule out yours isn't faulty either. 650w is plenty for 2 x 670gtx.

19. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Latest nvidia drivers aswell? I was having SLI issues back when I ran 2 x 670s, thought it was the bridge for awhile and turned out to be dodgy drivers. Although if device manager isnt even picked anything up in the second slow when it's in.. :/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

hmmm so I just tried using a gt210 instead of my second 670.. and it detected that ok...? strange....