GTX960 or better - Getting a good deal

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by bitmonster, Dec 22, 2018.

1. bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Hey... I have a circa 2012 PC and I'm on a budget - mortgage blah blah blah - it was a good PC for the time - i2600 i7, 16GB RAM etc so I figure I can still get some mileage out of it with a graphics card upgrade. I think it has a GTX560 1GB in it now, so I am thinking a GTX960 2GB or better should tie me over with some noticeable improvements on GTA V, Prey etc and whatever else may come up for special on Steam... May even see improvements on applications that can leverage the card such as Adobe Lightroom (maybe?). Speaking of which, the specs are very important for things like Adobe RGB for photography but I suppose all cards support that sort of thing (wide colour space).

So I search around and find some suspiciously good deals such as $50 cards "unbranded". Does anyone have any experience with such things and could it be worth it? I notice some 'good deals' also have some odd specs such as 96bit rather than 128bit bus etc..

Anyway open to advice, I'd like to order today and rush it over express so I have some time over the break to chill out...

Example links.. Some "unbranded" ones are quite cheap, and some good deals from the US too... It seems I can score something for under $200 or even under $100 if I'm lucky...

US $50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTX960-4GB...cs-Card-Parts-for-NVIDIA-GeForce/163371205490

Others here
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx960 2GB&_sacat=0&Appropriate%20For=Serious%20Gaming&_dcat=27386&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=1000&rt=nc&_udhi=150

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. Sledge

Sledge Member

3. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Hey thanks for that, glad I checked!! I had heard something about the bitcoin crash unleashing a torrent of good used cards on the market.. The Asus 1060 seems like a great deal. It will probably extract the max I can get out of this PC for a while, and even be re-usable in a new system so I can slowly upgrade my PC (I hadn't considered that option until now). I desperately need to upgrade my PC so this looks like a good option on a budget. Thoughts? I just put my hand up for the Asus 1060 anyway. Canberra pickup too which helps.

The GTX1070 is apparently 'way better value' but that was at release for full price, so at this price it looks like good value.

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

If it seems suss on Ebay... it normally is, dont touch it with a 10ft pole

As mentioned above if you have a budget of around $200 I'd hunt around for a used 1060 or 1050ti on here, Facebook marketplace and gumtree.

5. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

The Asus 1060 Strix DC2 6gb linked above for $190 seems fine so unless someone sees any issues or risks with that I'll just take it. I'll trust the seller (Fad) who has been on this site for nearly 20 years so is clearly not a fly-buy (sic). I have a GTX570 now so I expect I'll see some good improvement. It looks like the card will fit ok too - I don't have anything else in the PCI slots, and it's a 750w PS.

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

btw
    i have the same CPU as you and I'm not planning on upgrading that for a little while yet..
    got it matched with a 2080 atm

7. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

sorry it's a i2600, but even still it's fine - I could use some extra RAM (Adobe Lightroom chews it up) so any ideas there welcome (I currently have 4x4GB - but the CPU cooler obsructs one dang).

But yeah no point upgrading yet if the graphics card will yield most bang for buck and this 1060 seems like a good start if it will carry over to a new MB + CPU in the future.

8. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Those too cheap to be true cards are just that. Often they are like a GTX 460 or 750 (or whatever) with dodgy bios to register having more ram and being a different card altogether.

I sold my 4gb 960 for $127 in September. This was bought at release and used for mining for a few months. There's no way a genuine 960 will be $50.

Side note, someone on my local BSS is trying to flog a knockoff 4gb 960 for $150 as new because it didn't fit.

9. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Urgh, I see what you mean.. The Asus 1060 Strix DC2 6gb for $190 seems like a good deal if only Fad would reply :-(

10. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

One question - what does "Mining cards, mined at 60% PL till Oct" mean - something like 60% load for a year. Can that 'wear' a card out? For $190 it's over 50% off retail (from what I can see) so seems like a good deal.

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

Cards dont wear. Its doesn't have moving parts.

Being cooked can affect a card. That's about it

12. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Thanks, yeah that's what I mean I guess - I suppose that means it was running at 60% 24x7 or something.. If it was cooled properly it shouldn't be an issue.

13. congoh

congoh Member

They can and do "wear".
    Hell, fans have bearings that can wear out. These gfx cards are not designed for 24/7 use.

It depends on what quality components are used. If manufacturer used cheap capacitor which contain electrolyte they can "dry out" over time.
    Heat stress (changes in temp from on/off/workload) can cause solder joints to crack and cause problems.

MOSFETs and other parts can fail too (this is applicable to every card and not specific to mining cards).

Realistically, we really don't know whether mining cards are any more susceptible to failure than non mining cards because there isn't a long history of mining to provide any meaningful data.
    I'd stick with brand name with history of using quality components/QC if buying ex mining cards just to be extra safe.

I bought an ex-mining Asus RX580 8Gb card recently from Fad and he had electronic receipt (not that I think I'll need it but I got it for "insurance").
    You're taking a gamble here but it's more likely your gfx card will become obsolete long before they fail.

Edit: Manufacturers/retailers are selling mining cards with reduced warranty (1yr) so just be on the lookout for these. They're cheaper than "normal" gaming cards but it's cheap because they cut corners somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Seems reasonable to me then so I will take the risk and you have bought off Fad (same seller) without issue.