1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guided tour of ULA's rocket factory hosted by Tory Bruno (ULA CEO)

Discussion in 'Science' started by BlueRaven, Mar 2, 2020.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Back in September of 2018, Destin from the Smarter Every Day youtube channel met Tory Bruno, the CEO of United Launch Alliance, at the launch of the Parker Solar Probe.
    They obviously hit it off, and he had the good fortune to be offered a personal guided tour of the Delta IV Heavy launch pad.

He's since reached out to Tory again, and was offered an incredible opportunity to take another personal guided tour, this time at ULA's rocket manufacturing facility in Decatur, Alabama.
    With cameras. And Tory with him every step of the way, answering every question he was legally allowed to.
    He also drops a few nuggets of info regarding ULA's upcoming launch plans that nobody knew about.

Anyone with an interest in spaceflight, precision engineering and/or high-end manufacturing processes really should watch this, regardless of how you feel about the "Old Space" consortium and competitors like SpaceX.
    The level of access is unprecedented, the footage is fantastic, and Tory seems like the most knowledgeable, approachable and just-plain-likeable CEO that I've ever heard of.

There's another shorter video on the second S.E.D. channel with some additional footage, where Tory answers some broader questions about engines, re-usability, competition, and the rocket business generally. Also well worth watching.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Nethiuz, Strange1 and 3Toed like this.
  2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Love it.
    One day I wish I could get to look at the old Russian space gear rotting away. Probably a nil chance that one.

3. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Imagine being the guy or girl who snapped those classic photos of Buran mouldering away inside the collapsed hangar. :shock:

There was a moment in the second video when Tory was talking about the "strategic decision" to buy RD-180 engines for Atlas and keep Russian rocket engineers away from more destructive pursuits, and I was thinking to myself "come on guys, just admit that no American company had anything near as good in a kerolox 1st stage engine but you needed that performance...". :lol:

Going to be exciting to see what happens with Vulcan and the BE4 in the push towards greater efficiency and bigger payloads. It's a shame Blue Origin aren't a bit more shouty (in a good way) about where they're at with it.

Linyi Zhu and Nethiuz like this.