Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Warpy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Me tto, got it with the special deal.

Played GW1 a lot a while ago.

Any tips to get started ?

2. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Unlock all your weapon skills for each weapon and find a combination you like. You can see which weapons you can use by pressing H.

Look at the skill descriptions to find ones with fields and finishers. Drop a field then a finisher for a combo. You can use other people's fields too.

E.g. You can drop a fire field down and shoot an arrow finisher through it to get fire arrows. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

Crafting is really good but ultimately pointless as the stuff on the AH is dirt cheap unless you go for rares or higher. You don't need uber gear, you level so quickly it's generally not worth the time.

If you want a quick boost, spend $10 and get some gems and trade for some gold, unless you like grinding for $$$ :D

Some professions have mechanics that are harder than others so if you get stuck with one, just switch to another. Engineer is my fave but I'm levelling an Elementalist right now.

That's all I can think of for now.

3. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

ask Carey from [Knights Australia] for an invite. There's so many nice people in the Guild, all your newbie questions and problems will be dealt with.

As for someone asking what server, no longer matters. Mega server makes server choice (if they still even have that) extinct and not relevant. Sea of Sorrows WAS the unoffical oceanic one though.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I remember being bitter on release day of not making the SoS cut. Still haven't played since then. :lol:

5. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Can that be done in game?

6. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

What, asking Carey? Yeah.
    Code:
    /whisper Carey "Hi, can I please get a guild invite" [enter]
    Megaserver wise? I'm not sure what you're asking, but the answer would be no. I don't think you get to choose a server anymore. Don't honestly know, since I rolled Sea of Sorrows at launch.

7. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

See, I was under this impression too. Then I get a message from a mate who I told to grab it while it was on sale asking what world I was on

Also: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-access-to-point-of-no-return-ends-february-24/ Basically, log on before Feb 24 and get shit that for free that wont be free later

8. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

The point of megaservers is that the world choice, is now a redundant one. It applies only on WvWvW, and even then can be circumvented via playing with your party.

If you ask me to pick though, if you can roll on SoS, do it.

9. insidious

insidious Member

10. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Yep, new expansion, new character class, new character progression, new weapon skills.

11. onggie

onggie Member

Does anyone know a statistic of how long it takes to get to level 80? I guess that would include not fluffing around, just smashing quests out.

12. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

The fastest I've seen was under 3 hours? Think it was done through crafting.

Took me about 4 days at launch on my first character? I cleared the 100% exploration 2 days later.
    From what i recall 1-10 was starter area, you can blitz it with a small group. 10-40 was a mix of PVP and exploration. 40-60 was mass aoe farming charr and undead. And 60-80 in under 20 minutes just doing cooking.

If a casual was persistent you could probably do it in 2-3 weeks assuming maybe a few hours a day and maybe more on the weekends. I'm not sure questing is enough. You will probably run out of content doing just questing. I mean if you're playing for fun, go fluff around on the jumping puzzles.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  13. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

If you're not a newbie, instantaneously if you have enough Tomes of Experience.

14. onggie

onggie Member

Thanks yeah I'm very casual so a few weeks it will be for me. I just don't want it to feel like a drag.

15. Hyunk

Hyunk Member

hahaha what?! That's insane to me. Especially the 60-80 with just cooking. I bought the game a couple of weeks ago like many probably did when it was on sale. I'm really enjoying it but I'm still learning it. How do I get cooking if I already have 2 crafting things?

I'm with you man. On both counts, but maybe a little less casual.

16. Strifian

Strifian Member

Can only have two crafting disciplines (I guess they're called that). They can all be used to level up though

17. Hyunk

Hyunk Member

Oh ok. So If I level crafting discipline X, drop that and start doing crafting discipline Y, if I then drop Y and pick up X again does it retain the levels I got on it? Or does it reset? Which is what I'm assuming.

Oh and I think I saw in the gem store there was a thing where you could get a token which gave you an additional crafting discipline so you actually could have more than 2? Is that right?

18. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

yep to all accounts. You can now buy all the disciplines simultaneously for real world cash, and grind them all up. OR you can max them out and switch them (2 at a time) for most xp gain. Crafting is expensive though, just play the game and level up through map completion. You'll hit max level before you 100% the world, thats for sure.

19. Hyunk

Hyunk Member

Ah nice. Thanks.

20. insidious

insidious Member

Back in the early days, I crafted to lvl80 in a 2.5hrs, cost 20-30g. Now that crafting discplines have gone from 1-400 to 1-500 (both ranges still giving only 10lvls) its not as good.

Instant Lvl 20 scrolls and tomes of knowledge (+1lvl) items have been added for like a year and a bit or so. Mate and I capped our freshly-made alts under a minute :lol: