1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Warpy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Stevros

Stevros Member

Agreed on the classes. Having a primary and secondary class brought so much variation to pvp. Mesmer was an awesome class as well.

I think they are leaning more towards a Wow style of play in the fact that it will be open world play this time and not totaly instanced like the original GW. I played the original quite a bit and was in a pretty competitive Guild that managed a top 100 rank a fair few times. I still havent found a MMO that has come even close to matching this game for balanced, team based PVP.

2. Revenger

Revenger Member

Other thread is about the ele so Ill post in this one.

They have changed the skill system from GW1 to more of a action RPG predefined system than the current 8 slot open selection so there not leaning towards WoW and other mmo's with being able to use any skill anywhere.

You will get 10 skills 5 of which are determined by your weapons type being 3 main and 2 offhand or 5 for duel handed. 3 support skills, 1 elite and 1 healing skill slot you have control over choosing. You can change out skills when you are not actively fighting and switch between a couple of weapon sets while in a fight.

They have decided to do away with secondary professions because of this skill based change.

The stringing skills from all classes together into combos look good and is a nice touch.

They seem to be focusing on trying to mix a Asian single-player action RPG to a persistent world than building a traditional or general style mmo.

I am starting to doubt what they are doing as they have changed there global vision allot from when guildwars was first released from being a open skillbased game to adding a kind of grind with titles, faction, zaishen coins for equipment and even changing from HoH pvp for favor of the gods 'elite areas' to title farming.

And even adding in micro transactions for looks, costumes, pets >>with links inside the actual game<< they said they weren't going to do.

Having links saying you need xx amount of makeover, consume points etc before you can use a feature 'so click here to buy' is especially bad.

I can understand if they need the extra money for server costs etc but the links shouldn't be in the game and extras should work like the PVP unlock pack make us work for it in game or buy it outright.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

There is plenty of information and a couple of videos on the website

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

This game is sounding pretty good so far! :D

4. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

New update on the website RE quests and in game events. Sounds awesome! :D

5. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

sounds like WAR's public quests on steroids :)

6. Slith

Slith Member

This has me really me intrigued. Arenanet has such huge ambitions I just home they can pull it off with out any problems.

Sounds so good in theory you know.

From: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

7. Revenger

Revenger Member

Noticed they mentioned they are designing it so you make alternative characters like 3 times.

Something tells me they will sell extra character slots like they are doing with guildwars 1

8. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

I'd imagine you'd start off with 4 as with the first one.

9. Revenger

Revenger Member

Looked up the wiki they will continue the micro transaction aspect in guildwars 2.

To what extent I don't know but I'm sure it will be allot more than it is now.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  10. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

I really don't have an issue with micro transactions. It's completely optional so it suits everyone.

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

the art book is awesome. just received mine in the mail.

12. Revenger

Revenger Member

Cool was half thinking about it.

New screenshots are released a growing collection of them can be found here at mmorpg and article sites like gamespot have other screens etc.

To be honest I dunno if I really like the new graphics.

Sure there better than what we have and better than games like wow but I kinda expected more with the technology and the games available today.

Especially after seeing the first trailer with the warrior under the waterfall I thought the entire graphics would look like that good and something like final fantasy 12 as that is what the trailer showed in graphics especially with the characters.

But now the review sites have some actual screenshots of I presume the new lions arch in kryta etc the graphics look more dull and less shiny and lacking compared to the trailers at full screen though at 320x200 they kinda look alright. Mby the graphics aren't fully optimised yet or they are running to time constraints.

All leaves on the trees vines etc in one screenshot I found seem to be a solid 2d style overlay mesh instead of games like oblivion etc.

I can understand all they have done is upgraded there engine and its free online after purchase and I will still play it but with what is coming out guildwars 2 looks pretty behind compared to the big name games we are all used to with these new screenshots. Even though the trailer was right up there with the best of them.

Hope its just early development at a lower res than what we will use with features lacking such as HDR and various lighting and PP effects etc and they show us some proper screens themselves so we can judge properly.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  13. Frozen454

Frozen454 Member

Actually they didn't upgrade their GW1 engine, they built a new one from scratch just for this game, so it's going to be different for sure.

I liked the graphics in the first one and GW2 looks like it's more 3D which I think will be awesome.

14. Revenger

Revenger Member

Its a upgraded engine though it seems to be totally rebuilt in areas, it wasn't built from scratch.

Article

Link to another article

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  15. Frozen454

Frozen454 Member

Well looks like I'm wrong, although what I thought I remembered was probably from some early speculation news a few years ago. I haven't been keeping up.

16. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

the artbook opens up a lot of commentary from the artists working on the concepts and what they are planning to do. should get it if you want to see the marvellous stuff they've got planned. it's only 30 bucks too. well worth it.

makes a great coffee table display book too.

17. jenzer0

jenzer0 Member

i got it last year hhahah

its an awesome art book for sure

kei's art is insane

18. Slith

Slith Member

I just love his style.

Check out his blog if you like http://kekai.blogspot.com/

When I get my own house Im gonna have massive fantasy paintings like his on all the walls, that would be awesome.

19. Stevros

Stevros Member

Dont bother having a wife or gf then.

20. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

i like his "quick art before going home".

it's fracking amazing how good some of his "art doodles" are