Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Warpy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Slith

Slith Member

Guild wars 2 - Warrior profession skills

Axe or Mace? Rifle or Greatsword? You know, they're all good.

The warrior is a master of weapons who relies on speed, strength, toughness, and heavy armor to survive in battle. A warrior can shrug off blow after blow to stay in the fight, all the while building up adrenaline to fuel his offense.

2. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

The warrior looks cool, the trait system they have is interesting as well.

3. OP
    OP
    Warpy

Warpy Member

Thread updated with content*

4. Killing Time

Killing Time Member

this game looks like the one to watch for me, love the warrior fight video the animation is awesome and the they have put so much work into the environments, are they going to stick to the release date that is stated at the start of thread?

5. Stevros

Stevros Member

Q1 2011 is possible but as with lots of games there could be a delay.
    The way things are looking i think we will see a specific release date soon though. They have been throwing new news on the site every 2 weeks roughly and they are supposed to be showing the game off in August at gamescon.

6. Killing Time

Killing Time Member

nice, would it be worth getting into guildwars(1) now? or is it to far over the hill? i never played it before, now exams are finished got 3 weeks off till uni starts again looking for something to get my teeth into :)

7. g3monster

g3monster Member

Might as well try it if u can get it cheap.

8. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

You can get the trilogy packs for $20-30 if you look for it. Otherwise grab it from Steam.

Just bare in mind.... some towns are really dead. You may have trouble getting in to groups for certain missions too. Because the mission areas will have too few randoms, especially in Tyria / Nightfall.

9. g3monster

g3monster Member

Never had a problem with this.

Just join the OCAU guild (or allienced guilds) if they have space and youll never have a problem finding someone for most missions.

Also the free trial players help to fill in the tyria towns.

10. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Sounds kinda sucky:

Death In Guild Wars 2 Borrows A Page From Modern Warfare

In other words you'll probably never die, everyone can do everything and all classes have been nerfed into the same sort of thing just so everyone can feel special. Whoopee.

11. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

I don't see an issue with it at all. Every MMO you encounter these days is the same. A grindfest. It seems to me GW2 is trying to focus more on the story surrounding the characters and having an enjoyable gaming experience with friends.

I don't see an issue with "powerful heroes" being able to rally themselves, heal themselves or res themselves. It makes the character you're playing feel more powerful and heroic.

Works for me. :D

Edit: Also, whats the source? :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  12. thormania

thormania Member

Wow aren't you a sooky lah lah. I think that sounds great. GW was always meant to be accessible that is a good thing. Stuck up WOW players can fuck off imo.

There ultimately will be tanking/healing/dps classes it probably just wont be as clear cut as it was before.

13. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

1. I've never played WOW for more than 5 minutes.
    2. It's just another casual game to add to the list, using the same tacky methods of streamlining every - single - game. If user error doesn't lead to some form of actual punishment then how do people learn to improve?

Accessibility in every single instance means making it easier for stupid people, that's it. The people who liked it being harder are always screwed over when this happens. If you see no problem, that's fine, some people will and their opinions are just as valid.

One source, more sooky lah lah comments on that page too.

14. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Death hasn't been taken out of the game there's just an stage between fully alive and dieing. No one's questioning the validity of your opinion we just don't agree with it.

Moreover there might be a "hard mode" for players who want it just like GW1.

15. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

The death thing is really irrelevent in the scheme of things. It is simply another mechanic to work with.

The lack of meaningful healing, however, is going to have a major impact on pvp. It will be interesting to see how the metagame will shift around target prioritisation, when (non-self)healing is knocked out of the mix. Especially considering tanking was downplayed in that article as well.

So the roles remaining, would be:
    CC-DPS (generally your mage or thief/rogue types with )
    Defensive DPS (generally heavy melee in most games)
    Supporting DPS (generally your buffers/off-healers/selfhealing dps with utility in other mmos)

This has the possibility to either make pvp very fun, by adding a large amount of dynamic flow to battles (based on which enemy has used which cooldowns etc), making proper target selection based on a lot of variables, a big player skill.
    OR
    It has the possibility to make pvp very boring, by making target selection matter very little, due to everyone having a similar level of defense.

I'd hate to see PVP boil down to "Okay, everyone attack X, kk now everyone attack Y" etc, without the choice of who X and Y are, having a large impact on the battle, and being accompanied with ", while I control Z"

16. Stevros

Stevros Member

The most important thing in guild wars is the pvp, and you dont need tanks in pvp, so i couldnt give a stuff about that. No dedicated healers is interesting, adds another element to gvg when you have to figure out which of the 8 players is doing the majority of healing.

The more mobile the classes are, the better the competitive side of the game will be IMO.

The more they reveal about the game the better it seems to get. I was pretty disappointed when they said there wont be secondary classes but it looks like theres still going to be great variation anyway.

Oh and if you havent played the first guild wars, and dont understand what this mmo is all about, your opinions are pretty much drool to anyone interested in this game.

17. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

GWs 1 was an awesome game (especially PvP), but after a while it got boring like every other MMO because it didnt have anything REALLY outstanding and different to bring forth to the table, but from reading that snip about GW2, I can already see It'll be a lot more enjoyable, and less generic.

Lets hope it doesn't end up like Aion, all this hype about something different, play for a few weeks, quit because it wasn't really.

The above is just my opinion, no need for flaming.

18. Stevros

Stevros Member

Totally agree with you mate, Aion was such bullshit, i got burned bad on that one.

19. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)

I wonder if GW2 is going to be as good PvP wise as GW1. From the looks of this, it might not be...

20. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)