Guilderton Lighthouse at night

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Frozen_Hell, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Made a trip up to Guilderton north of Perth this afternoon to see if the sunset was going to turn out any good (it didn't, again) and to take some shots of the lighthouse up there:

[​IMG]
    (click for bigger)

Shot with D700, 14-24mm @ 14mm, F4 and 30 minutes exposure time. I lit up the lighthouse (yep you can see my shadow) with 2 full power manual firings of a SB-900 flash.

I deliberately faced east with this shot, as I wanted to capture the lighthouse with the star trails on either side of the shot rotating around the different poles rather than the standard facing to the south with the southern celestial pole in the shot.

I also took an additional shot with the lens wide open at F2.8 and cranked the ISO up to 6400 and this was the result:

[​IMG]
    (click for bigger)

I'm not quite sure what the 3 streaks are in the shot though, shooting stars maybe?

C&C appreciated.

2. dav3

dav3 Member

nice pics

my guess would be satellites

3. fallen_dragon

fallen_dragon Member

that 2nd one is great. Love how the sky looks.

4. mckonazz

mckonazz Member

WHat's the EXIF for the 2nd shot? I really like it!

5. wisie

wisie Member

Nice shots and great job with the light painting, came up great. If you were desperate you could probably PS your shadow out of the shot.

6. tomtom1

tomtom1 Member

Second one for me, it looks quite surreal and I like the backlighting along the horizon from the ?city lights

7. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Second one for me as well. I like the colours, and the "whatever" in the top right hand side - the sky details.

I dont mind the fence as a silhouette.

Pics might be improved if the lighthouse wasnt dead center, although i understand you wanted trails going opposite ways in the first pic.

Glad you dont get the purple frinding i get on my Nikon D80 which seems to spoil my shots.

8. Joehax

Joehax Member

I love #2 too.

Was there much light pollution where you were?

9. Goobers

Goobers Member

not that you can do anything about it, but the fence distracts me. other than that I like them both. great shots.

10. OP
    OP
    Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

D700, 14-24mm @ 14mm, F2.8, ISO 6400, 30 seconds.

Thanks. :)

I was debating PS'ing out my shadow, but thought I'd leave it in the for the moment. I might edit it out tonight and see how much it changes the shot.

I think maybe from a couple of lights that are at the T junction where the road into Guilderton leaves the main road (its about 5-10kms away). There were lights to the north (Lancelin) and even to the south you could see the very strong glow of the city lights on the horizon.

Yeah, I was debating that, I'm not sure whether framing it to the left or the right would've done much more to it as the rest of the foreground around the lighthouse is pretty featureless. I might play around with cropping the shot to put the lighthouse in a different spot and see how it looks.

11. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Maybe for your second photo, either crop the LHS or if taking the picture again move around more to the left, keeing the lighthouse in the left hand third and opening up the sky on the right which is the part of the sky which has the stars/galaxy feature in it.

12. pogue_mahone

pogue_mahone Member

hey Frozen, next time you are heading up that way, drop me a pm, I would love to tag along. Few beers, few pics... all good in my book.

13. snoop_wog

snoop_wog Member

2nd shot is a ripper...

14. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Fantastic stuff mate.

Like it a lot :thumbup:

15. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

I find that when i take photos like that, the photos are always too bright?

Did you have any ND filters or something.

Amazing photos mate, amazing!

16. OP
    OP
    Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Nope, no filters at all. You'll definitely overexpose the shots if you're doing it too close to a city or other source of light pollution, or if the moon is out.

It needs to be very dark in an area a decent distance from the city and no moon out.

17. AussieBryan

AussieBryan Member

Ben #2 is bloody awesome. Hey next time you go to go out somewhere drop me a message, as I am usually available.

18. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Love #2, simply awesome.

19. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

Thanks for the tips mate!

Sorry I have a few questions, I'm new to this astro photography stuff.

How come there is not flare from the lighthouse light? And on the first photo, what ISO were you running? Your ISO6400 shot looks good, great noise suppression!

20. OP
    OP
    Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

The lighthouse light itself wasn't in shot, you're only seeing the glow from it and not the bare naked light source itself, hence no flare.

First shot is ISO 200. The noise from using ISO 6400 appears somewhat lesser because of the pinpoints of light of the stars etc. in the sky doing a good job of hiding it. If you look closely at the lighthouse itself you can see a little bit of noise, it'd be more apparent on flat single colour surfaces if there were more of them in the shot.

Thanks for the comments from everyone who has posted. :)