1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Guilin - Cormorant Fishermen

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by simplelogik, Dec 19, 2011.

1. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. dlcx

dlcx Member

Interesting, would have been a fun shoot :)
    Like #2 the best, the hills look amazing.

The PP is "different" on your shots, makes it look almost painted.

3. Craggles

Craggles Member

The rate for them posing isnt that high considering the quality of the photo's mate.

Very nice photo's.

4. OP
    OP
    simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Yeah, trying to post process in the style that AIPP judges would like as I might enter these this year.

Hahaha, the style of posing they do is tacky, e.g like having the bird standing at the end of their oar :) It's more catered for the tourist group. If you go with the big tourist group it's around $5-$10 p/p but they go out in the mid day sun and you can't ask the fisherman to pose or position them. Also, my flash don't work very well during the day, so ended up hiring the fishermen for ourselves for sunset.

5. tomtom1

tomtom1 Member

6. OP
    OP
    simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Yah, unfortunately the old China that people envisaged no longer exist.

I think unless the photographer shot that photo 15+ years ago, I suspect he paid for his fisherman as well :) .. We got the idea from Luminous Landscape.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/locations/classic-chinese.shtml

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. kpra1

kpra1 Member

Amazing set mate :thumbup: Loving #2 and #3. The pp works very well, gives em that old skool eastern movie feel. Very nice :)

8. OP
    OP
    simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Thanks .. #1 is the first photo I've shot that got explored on Flickr .. yay !!!

9. Snobility

Snobility Member

The editing works really well on these! How did you achieve that painted look in the sky? Looks like a great opportunity.

10. OP
    OP
    simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Dodging & burning and then texture overlay to bring out the "artificial" detail in the sky otherwise it's featureless SOOC.

11. BMan2

BMan2 Member

I'd say just watch your highlights - it's okay on the light - but it looks a little blown around the face - bring that down a bit and you'll do well.

12. OP
    OP
    simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Err thanks for the confidence :)

The fisherman’s lower portion is totally blown but I don’t mind, I just fill it with the same colour as the light source. Had I metered for the fisherman’s face then there’ll be no detail in the sky. The main subjects for me was actually the cormorant and the sky, had to wait for the moment where it flap which was not often, most of the time it just sat there and look like a pigeon.

13. BMan2

BMan2 Member

you asked for advice .... - I don't mind the highlights in the light - but I think there's too much light on the faces - just print them down a bit and it'll even out the tones much better,