H.265 action cam

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by FR3D1, Oct 16, 2019.

1. FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting an action cam but stuck between whether to get spend more for H.265 or not. From what I have research is that H.265 file is smaller for the same quality as the H.264 but I can't seem to find any evidence to back this up. So have anyone got a H.265 cam and test it against a H.264 and is there any file size difference?

2. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Yes, albeit in professional application for upload, cloud storage efficiency. Roughly 50% better off for same quality.

3. Hater

Hater Member

there are so many other factors to an action camera to consider before something like output format. what are you using it for?

4. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

well I'm looking for a cheap one to record my bike trip like a dashcam. Originally I thought about getting a compact camera (point and shoot) but not sure if those would charge and record at the same time. With my budget I can see that all action cam were very similar to each other but since I'm using it to record a long trip it is better to record to a smallest file size possible (without loosing quality) so I thought h.265 would take care of that but I just can't seem to find any discussion about this on the web ie h.264 file vs h.265 file.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. genxor

genxor Member

I'd worry about battery life vs quality. 265 requires a lot more processing power to encode so unless they're pretty expensive with a low power-drain CPU that can handle it natively they probably wouldn't be too great

6. miicah

miicah Member

If you are looking for cheap, go for SJCAM. Make sure you get the genuine ones though, there are heaps of rip off versions on the usual suspects.

7. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

For me battery isn't a problem as I'll be connecting to a power bank but file size is

8. Hater

Hater Member

if its for use as a dash cam, why not use it in loop mode

you'd only use 30fps so even at 4K and a 128gb card thats over 2 hours of footage

a decent camera (go pro, sony, dji) is going to have heaps better quality than a cheap camera that supports h265.

edit: wait. they all support it anyway. heh.

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

You can't have looked hard (or at all), there's literally millions of hits on google espousing the pros and cons of 265 vs 264 and other options.

10. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

maybe, perhaps you could give me a link to one of those hits that compares 2 recording with near identical settings (resolution, duration and etc) and see the file size differences between h.264 and h.265 action cams because on paper h.265 does 50% better so if 4k/30fps with 128gb card on h.264 get me 2 hours of recording then I would get ~4 hours with h.265? I can't seem to find any source to support this hence this post.

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

The GoPro editing app is shit and doesn’t recognise H.265 properly on some devices even with the required driver/package installed on both Windows 10 and the smartphone app on phones that actually support it.

It does embed GPS/location and speed into it which you can see with the editing app, which is pretty nice.

I had a $100 ThiEYE T5e that was great quality and sharp and hacked by script to run at 100mbps in H.264. Even changed the lens on it. Great until I crashes it into seawater recently.

The SJ9 Strike from SJcam has newer features and stabilisation. You’ll want stabilisation, so you’ll probably end up in 1080p, though a few cameras do 4k30 stabilisation now, though you might want 1080p60 On them anyway. Some of them see, to lose a lot of detail when the camera moves, even in bright daylight with a fast shutter when there should be 0 motion blur and 1080 seems to do better In detail in that area.

The SJ9 Strike is in GoPRO Hero 7 white/silver price territory iirc, though the white and silver models don’t have the Hypersmooth stabilisation, just regular stabilisation.

Though the 8 series white and silver when they come out might offer that higher end stabilisation. Don’t know yet.

As for recording time, the camera will use a specific bitrate. My previous highest On the T5e was 60mbps until I modded it to 100mbps. It also has three settings for bitrate and you could choose lower for longer times.

So it’ll depend on the camera and what settings it has (normally something like low,standard, high) etc. 50mbps will be half the size of 100mbps.

FR3D1 likes this.