[H]ardOCP: GeForce Partner Program Impacts Consumer Choice

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Mar 13, 2018.

1. lowdog

lowdog Member

"While we usually like to focus on all the wonderful and immersive worlds that video cards and their GPUs can open up to us, today we are tackling something a bit different. The GeForce Partner Program, known as GPP in the industry, is a "marketing" program that looks to HardOCP as being an anticompetitive tactic against AMD and Intel."

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/08/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice

It is no wonder why I have hated NVidia as a company for years now. :thumbdn:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Take everything Kyle Bennett claims with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to Nvidia. Kyle's relationship with Nvidia has been strained for many years now.

(Agg edit: let's not make this too personal)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
    Sinisstar likes this.
  3. asho444

asho444 Member

but honestly i don't think anyone here could reply saying they are actually surprised by this move.

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  4. power

power Member

the best competition is good product.

sounds like amd tears to me.

5. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Whilst he may have an axe to grind with Nvidia. It is in a blog post by Nvidia, so there is a story here.
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/03/01/geforce-partner-program/
    We know Nvidia have a few exclusive partners already, EVGA, Galax among other lesser known brands. These will obviously be instant recruits to the GPP. This leaves ASUS, Gigabyte & MSI at a instant disadvantage especially with EVGA. They are essentially being held at gunpoint. You will never see any of board vendors publicly speak out about these matters for fear of retributions. Any signed partners will be silenced with NDA's.

Till regulators impose fines That far outweigh, any potential gains from anti competitive practices these underhanded tactics will continue. Intel's fines from their anti competitive actions in the past have been far outweighed by there 90% of the pc market and 99% of the server markets.

(Agg edit: edited quote to match edited quote above)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  6. asho444

asho444 Member

Like when and finally released a better processor than Intel and then Intel "subsidised" or what ever if they didn't buy amd. Which therefore limited amds ability to do r&d which means we could have possibly had a Zen esk CPU years ago instead of shitty bulldozer?

No your rights thanks Intel and nvida for getting a stranglehold and then stifling the market.

If I remember correctly wasn't there a big who ha with xfx after they released and gear and NVIDIA kicked them to the curb?

7. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Nvidia is saying to a company "you cant sell anything else apart from OUR products"
    who is salty REALLY?

8. power

power Member

i don't know why nvidia are bothering, but as i said the best competition you can have is a better product. AMD have already shot themselves in the foot over two generations - now you can't buy them because miners, maybe nvidia are looking to bury them further.

9. fad

fad Member

Nacl as ....

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

If it was a level playing field maybe. You already have Nvidia throwing money at studios to have them use nvidia Gameworks at the expense of AMD. It's hard for AMD to compete against that. AMD likes to use opensource whereas Nvidia prefers close system since they spend their money developing it.

11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

So why do you use Windows then? The situation is no different regarding OEM's and Windows.

Sorry Agg for speaking out so strongly in relation to Kyle Bennett, but a lot of this story is based solely around information Kyle has supposedly dug up as well as a sprinkling of his own biases against Nvidia due to his history with the company. I take the whole article with a massive grain of salt, especially when considering that this kind of practice has been going on within various areas of the industry for years and no one bats an eyelid.

It's [H] clickbait.

For the record Agg, I think yer cool!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  12. power

power Member

in business you compete or die, amd have the option of doing as nvidia do. we all know amd sit back and want open source to do the job for them.

I wish nvidia could come up with something cool like 3DFX Glide and make that exclusive to nvidia, kind of sick of amd having a cry about everything. i want competition where the two companies are duking it out by making over and above the old standard dx for everything - dx feels quite stagnant atm. remember back in the day when dx was a total joke, i want that again. do it nvidia make shit better.

no one had a cry that 3DFX were "anti-consumer" because the consumer got better stuff when they bought a 3DFX card, but do that now and it's all wah wah amd use open sauce. pfft.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  13. LinX

LinX Member

Digital Nomad .. I go where my whimsy takes me.
    1. You are correct. It's an industry wide practice/problem. The industry needs an overhaul.
    2. My only gripe is that Nvidia's on linux can take ages to get certain features sorted.
    3. An interesting note for vendors, spin up two different gaming lines. Or another Brand for selling AMD etc.

Open source is a good thing. For your information AMD commit a lot to their open drivers in linux. (it's a shame that the other Unixes don't get too much love, but again thats competition) Also AMD where the master minds behind Vulkan which will power a good share of future games, is completely cross platform and is shaping up to be a great successor to opengl... While I agree that DX is not brilliant it makes it easier for devs to write the lower level components of a game engine.

I'll remind you the reason that 3DFX is dead along with Glide, Because it was trounced by it's OpenGL, and eventually DirectX, because they where both open specs (not open source) and anyone could program for them. Also 3DFX made stupid business decisions like trying to make the board/printing process in house where XFX, Asus, Abit (back in the day) could do a far more efficient job. Competition drives innovation.

When I get home I'll post a more in depth rant on some history into AMD/Intel/NVidia/ATI and why things like this can make or break companies.

14. power

power Member

yes but without a profit motive it hardly drives innovation. let's not forget microsoft got serious about direct x and left opengl in the dust. i like seeing companies going toe to toe outdoing each other. where are amd's counters to all the nvidia gameworks tech? Mantle? the open source but not really api?

Vulkan is great and some devs use it - as you say competition drives innovation, but if one company sits back and just expects open source to make up the slack they'll be left behind.

15. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

You do realise that AMD donated mantle to the Khronos group, which grew into the vulkan API right?
    Nvidia is largely the reason dx is stagnent, even their pascal cards usually run slower in dx12 than dx11 where games have both APIs.

16. power

power Member

no i don't follow api's that closely, if that's the case i guess that's great?

but it seems ludicrous to say that nv are responsible for dx stagnating - considering there are 2 amd powered consoles running dx. if dx was going ahead in leaps and bounds it goes forward regardless of nv or not.

17. LinX

LinX Member

Digital Nomad .. I go where my whimsy takes me.
    I'll assume you mean Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbone? Xbone from memory is the only AMD powered one.
    PS does not use directX .. not in the slightest.

18. power

power Member

X Box One S and X Box One X

19. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

As noted PS4 runs on a custom API that is even lower level than vulkan/dx12. And yes dx is advancing on xbox, dx12 is now the standard on xbox one that originally launched with dx11, for forza 7 porting/tuning to dx12 got them 30% better performance/headroom on the xbox.

Compare this to the pc scene where pascal runs most dx12 games with no benefit or slower than the dx11, and slim benefit on vulkan. Compare this to the new titan V which sees large gains compared to pascal for dx12/vulkan but smaller to no gains for dx11 because it actually has the hardware features (and increased core count) to properly support and require the new APIs for maximum performance. So as long Nvidia is the dominent player and runs best on dx11 that's the API pc games will use primarily.
    https://m.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/14/amd_radeon_rx_vega_64_video_card_review/5
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...marks-async-future-is-bright-for-volta/page-2
    http://www.wired.co.uk/article/forza-7-xbox-one-x-interview-turn10-dan-greenawalt-e3-2017

20. power

power Member

shouldn't amd on pc be smashing nvidia then?