H.R. GIGER Tribute PC

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by mnpctech, Jul 12, 2014.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech Member

[​IMG]
    This is a resurrection of my personal gaming PC project tribute to H.R. GIGER. It started out years ago titled "Psychosis". Half way into the build, I decided the P-1 era chassis wouldn't fit my overall vision. I decided on using Cooler Master's 912 mid tower and enter their annual case mod competition in 2011. Half way into the project, Mnpctech was approached by Antec, Corsair, and Fractal Design to create custom PC builds for their booths and hotel suites at 2012 CES. The progress of this PC build is one we're most often asked about. I was talking to Bitfenix about sponsoring the revival of this project right before hearing about H.R. Giger's passing on May 14th, 2014. I will be posting periodic updates on this page over the coming weeks.
    Featuring PC Hardware and liquid cooling products from....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ADATA was founded the same year as Mnpctech, in 2001. Mnpctech uses ADATA brand DDR and SSDs in our custom PC builds, for their speed, reliability and exceptional customer support. Show your support of the HR GIGER Tribute project by visiting ADATA's website
    [​IMG]
    I've worked with AMD on several different projects. My first build for them was Project Phenom for 2006 Cebit Sow in Germany. *They deliver the best performance for your dollar. They've sent me two Radeon R9 270X video cards to use in this build. I will be water cooling them with water blocks from Syscooling.
    [​IMG]
    Swiftech was one of the first U.S. manufacturers to offer liquid cooling products engineered specifically for PCs. Excellent quality and reliability at affordable price. Support of HR GIGER Tribute project by visiting their website
    [​IMG]
    Intel 1155, i7 3770, 3.5 GHz CPU will be cooled by Swiftech's new Apogee XL waterblock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Asus TUF Shield was removed, before painting it Matte Black Enamel Paint. The custom paint will be done b our Airbrush artist, Brad Galvin. He uses Iwata HP-CH airbrush with custom made air-trap and 50 gallon air compressor. He'll be applying White Enamel paint mixed with Lacquer thinner, so the airbrush doesn't clog.
    [​IMG]
    HR GIGER inspired design from the custom PC bezel is outlined in chalk first, before airbrushing it.
    [​IMG]
    This is a custom stencil made from construction paper for this design. Don't pay $40 for professional airbrush stencils! Make your own, grab image online, edit in photochop, print it, then cut it yourself with Xacto knife.
    [​IMG]
    Airbrushing a spiral design in same location the ASUS Sabertooth logo sticker was applied.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll be anodizing the factory Green heat sinks Black. You won't see the Brown & Tan PCI Express slots.
    [​IMG]
    Round Hole Modder's Mesh Sheet was used as stencil for airbrushing the round background.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Asus Sabertooth with Intel 1155, i7 3770, 3.5 GHz CPU and Swiftech's new Apogee XL waterblock.
    [​IMG]
    AMD has sent me two Radeon R9 270X video cards to use in this build. I will be water cooling them with water blocks from Syscooling.
    [​IMG]
    https://mnpctech.com/images/companies/3/1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_2014_2015_2016_haf_x_xb_stacker_window_biomechanical2.jpg[/img]
    In order to create, you must first destroy... *the Cooler Master HAF 912 bezel is chopped and modified
    [​IMG]
    Cooler Master HAF 912 chassis was flipped upside down. Custom Nerf bars were added as feet.
    [​IMG]
    This machined billet 1/2" thick 120mm PC Cooling Fan Overkill "Ring" from Mnpctech
    [​IMG]
    This machined billet ring is from 120mm PC Blowhole Fan grill kit from Mnpctech
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mnpctech Overkill 120mm Ring mounted over Black Ice Nemesis 120 GTX Radiator for CPU loop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are something I've wanted to offer for awhile, Best description I can think of is "Open Air" style fan and radiator grill frames. You can use them as template. *Combine or layer them with other grills or perforated materials to create your own custom styled fan or radiator grill.*
    http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-cooling-fans-grills-custom/open-air-grills/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Test Fitting Hardware Labs Black Ice NEMESIS 360 GTX Radiator.
    [​IMG]
    Need to fabricated mounting brackets, and possibly a grill for Black Ice NEMESIS 360 GTX Radiator. Fabricating front holder for front Stainless Steel reservoir, made by Cheapskate!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stainless Steel Reservoir for the GPU Loop with 90 degree bitspower compression fittings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. broccoli

broccoli Member

ooh, yes..... :thumbup:

3. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

The attention to detail and raw idea's, hard on material :leet:

4. leck

leck Member

Amazing work. We'll done!

I did roll my eyes initially at the concept as it would be very difficult to do it justice, but that looks amazing. Hats off!

5. BigDave

BigDave Member

Awesome work again Bill :cool::thumbup::cool::thumbup:

6. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Always love seeing these mods come out. Thanks for posting them here and keeping us updated.

7. OP
    OP
    mnpctech

mnpctech Member

Thanks for the kind words and awesome support Dave & Moptimus!!!

For the liquid loops, I'm using Clear Plastic PETG Tubing I bought locally. This is the same material used to make Pop bottles, so it won't stain and it's also shatter resistant. Video of PETG tubing for PC hardline.

Primochill now sells PETG Tubing to work with their Primoshill "Revolver" compression fittings, I'm using in this build

Here are the steps involved in working with PETG, same identical procedure as cutting and bending the Acrylic tubing from Primochill, so here are the photos I used for the Frozen Tech Station build for FrozenCPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using a Jewelers hand saw, but Hack saw with bi-metal cutting blade also works great.

[​IMG]

Cutting down the PETG tubing to length

[​IMG]

To clean and debur edges of the PETG plastic tubing, you can use hand file or medium grit sandpaper. I've opted for quicker solution and used Plumber's tubing reamer. You can pick-up these Tubing / Pipe Reamers at most Home Improvement Stores, in their Plumbing Aisle. Pretty handy tool for this task, so placed a bulk wholesale order and stocking them here, Acrylic / PETG / Pipe / Tubing Reamer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Place reamer on flat surface, hold it in place, apply pressure while twisting or rotating tube clockwise or counter clockwise*between three blades, then flip reamer upside down and repeat for inner diameter.

[​IMG]

...then flip reamer upside down and repeat for inner diameter.

[​IMG]

It does decent job...*you can also use medium grit sandpaper or hand file as alternative*

[​IMG]

Place Primshill "Revolver" compression fitting shell over PETG tube first, then o-ring

[​IMG]

then insert tubing into compression fitting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silicone Fill Tubing, insert into PETG Tubing, 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID, ordered from McMaster.com #9245K21

[​IMG]

Dip the Silicone Fill Tubing in Dish Soap water

[​IMG]

Insert Silicone Fill tubing into the .5" PETG tube before heating the Tubing.

Hold the PETG tubing around 4" above the heat, and keep rotating the PETG tubing over the heat.

PETG tubing is easy to bend by hand, but if you prefer, I made this PETG Tubing Bending Jig, from Acrylic!

[​IMG]

I made it from .5" Clear Acrylic scrap from the workshop. For the bends, I used these aluminum PC case feet Billet PC Case Feet[/b] for two different sized PETG tubing bends.

1-3/4" pc case foot diameter, https://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-st...-rack-server-case-feet/grooved-case-feet.html
    [​IMG]

1" diameter pc case foot, https://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-stereo-desktop-case-feet/mini-itx-pc-case-feet.html
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Placing .5" OD PETG Tubing along channel and 1" case foot, to create 90 degree bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could have never done with type of bend with .5" OD flex tubing, without it kinking

8. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

As always, inspiring work guys.

Some of the bends I've made in my PC using Rigid tube speak volume to what can now be achieved. Very short loops are no longer a problem. Which is amazing.

Can't wait to see the next installment.

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

Lookin' great!

10. OP
    OP
    mnpctech

mnpctech Member

Thank you for following my build, it's officially finished now.. So to summarize everything... It started on this build in 2006, but got it shelved several times for customer commitments. What prompted me to finally get it done? H.R. GIGER's Passing on May 12, 2014. If you've never heard of him, you've probably seen his artwork. He was most well known for his Visual Effects and design work on the first Alien movie, in which he created iconic "Xenomorph" ALIEN. Long before working on that movie, he had established career as a painter, and had a very distinctive style that blended human bodies and machines that he described as "Biomechanical"

The hardware is combination of old and new, since progress has been staggered over past 3 years. The chassis is a Cooler Master 912 turned 90 degrees, and it's been 3 years since the ASUS P67 Sabertooth TUF shield was airbrushed with the Giger theme. The system has two separate liquid loops, the stainless tube reservoir is for the Radeon Crossfire GPU loop (2x 270x) with Hardware Labs Black Ice 360 GTX. This radiator is cooled with Panaflo L1A (38mm thick, 68.9 CFM. Max. noise: 30.0 dB-A). The 360 radiator grill is from Mnpctech.com with D5 pump and Alphacool top, the CPU is 3570, 3.4 GHz, with Swiftech's new Apogee XL waterblock. This is a great waterblock for $69.99. It comes with interchangeable illuminated face plate, which my good friend EEL Ambiense designed a replacement with a Giger-esque design. The cpu loop is PETG hardline tubing with EK 190 & DDC res / pump combo with Hardware Labs Black Ice 120 GTX radiator. Both loops are running distilled water. The system utilizes 32GB of their ADATA's new XPG V2 DDR3, and their Premirer Pro SP920 256GB SSD. The power supply is Corsair 750W. I'll be using this PC in the shop for video editing primarily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Unframed

Unframed Member

That's brilliant!

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

I love it. That is a thing of beauty. :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    mnpctech

mnpctech Member

Thank you for the kind words everybody! I've made a video of the build

14. BigDave

BigDave Member

Amen brother :thumbup::cool:

15. Radley

Radley Member

Crazy work there. Looks awesome.

16. Pollywaffle

Pollywaffle Member

:shock:
    Amazing work!

17. peg

peg Member

I'm jealous of your skills.

Beautiful work. :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    mnpctech

mnpctech Member

Thank for posting your comments everybody! :)

I'm going to mod the Deepcool Steamcastle case next...

[​IMG]

19. BigDave

BigDave Member

looks like they've done half the work for you Bill :tongue: :lol:

20. OP
    OP
    mnpctech

mnpctech Member

soo true! haha :D