HAAAALLLPPP. net keeps dropping out

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Azer1234, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

I needed to add more ethernet ports to the nbn modem so I could install more ip cameras. There was only 1 free port and i needed to install 3 cameras.

Got the camera system working fine.

I bought this switch
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/24910/tp-link-tl-sg105-5-port-desktop-gigabit-switch

2 issues have arised
    - (less important) after a few days the ip cameras are not connected anymore. Pretty sure the ip address is changing and not sure how to make static. I cant access them by typing their address into chrome. I can fix by going thru the wizard again. Annoying but not that bad

- about once every hour or so the net on my gaming PC (differwnt from security pc) will drop out and reconnect after 10 seconds or so. Very annoying when gaming.

Ive set ipv4 on both pcs to a static address. Has not helped.

Any help with how to troubleshoot would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

Your side drop outs or ISP drop outs??

3. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Well im assuming its my side as the service has been flawless untill i changed the configuration.

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Faulty switch or faulty camera. Try backtracking and revert back to the 1 camera to the NBN modem setup and see if the connection drops out. If not, check if there are firmware updates for the switch. Those cheap small switches usually drop out once you start loading lots of bandwidth hungry devices on unit.

Azer1234 likes this.
  5. caspian

caspian Member

what devices are connected to what?

Bold Eagle likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Only Ip cameras run into the splitter.

2x pcs and splitter run into modem

I disconnected the cameras today, so nothing connected to splitter but the splitter is still connected to modem and the problem still persists.

That eliminates the possibilty that the problem is from too much bandwidth running through splitter.

What do these things do exactly? Is it playing around with ip addresses or something?

7. grrrr

grrrr Member

what sort of modem do you have? I had lots of drop outs with my old telstra surfboard modem. I fixed my issue by:
    1. Buying a decent router and plugged that in to the modem
    2. Changing the modem to "bridge mode" or turning "NAT off"
    Its possible that the modem doesn't have much memory for the NAT and once it runs out of memory then u get disconnected.
    For reference I now have a linksys max-stream ea8300 but its a few years old now so there will be newer models out.

8. Recharge

Recharge Member

9. caspian

caspian Member

with no client devices connected to the switch then I would not expect layer 3 issues to be present. if want complete confirmation, revert to your original configuration and disconnect the switch from the modem.

I doubt you are actually experiencing a dropout. if you do indeed have a modem (so you're on FTTC/FTTB/FTTN) then a resync will take at least 2 minutes, not 10 seconds. It would help to know what make and model of gateway device you have, and what the LED status lights on the device tell you through an occurrence, but it sounds far more likely that you are having an intermittent dataflow problem. have you discussed the issue with your ISP to see if they can confirm that the remote login session is staying up or going down?

10. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Ok cheers for all the good info. I realise now that i need to eliminate some variables and post some more info. Will take some time as ill need to run the different configurations and monitor the drops.

11. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

revery back to original and test and see if the pc issue is still there, but there should ve nothing wrong with what you have done.

its interesting that you say IPs are changing thou, dhcp tries veru hard to keep the same ip.

what modem/router do you have?

You should be able to fix the ip changes with static dhcp leases/assignments on the router. Which means the device always gets the same ip assigned via dhcp.

12. davros123

davros123 Member

Please please please tell me you do not have the camera directly accessible/exposed to the internet?

And what is this "slitter" you mention?

13. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Small update. No switch and no cameras active and it all seems fine

Its just a standard netgear that tpg supplied about 2 yrs ago. When i get deeper into the issue ill post the model. I know for a fact the ips of the cameras are changing as they go offline after a few days and i have to go thru setup again, which is where i notice the different ip to what it was last time.

Lol sorry, i meant switch not splitter. Dunno why i keep calling it that.

I guess they are connected to the internet if the switch is run into the modem. Happy to take advice on how to do it better so its just local but Im not overly sensitive about privacy, if someone thinks im important enough to hack then they can look at the street via the camera all day long for all i care. They are not showing anything internal to the property.

14. davros123

davros123 Member

Why not just set the cams with a static ip?

I set as many of my devices with static IP's as I can. That way if the dhcp server if offline or shits itself (never happened with pfsense) it's no biggie.

This business of everything has to be dhcp is silly for smaller networks and important devices like routers and cams.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019