1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hackers Evolution: Untold

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by IKT, Jul 14, 2010.

1. IKT

IKT Member

http://www.exosyphen.com/page_hacker-evolution-untold.html

Mac: Download the Mac Demo BUY the Mac version ($24.95)
    Linux: Download the Linux Demo (32bit)
    Linux: Download the Linux Demo (64bit) BUY the Linux version ($24.95)

So they're not going after the largest gaming markets... but has anyone played it?

2. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Yay! A linux game. *downloads demo*

Edit: Music is annoying, and I like electronica... Terminal is OK, you can tab-complete and do things like ls and cat stuff but you can't pipe and you can't go back through commands or reverse-i-search. Can't move the terminal... can't move other windows. No keyboard repeat in terminal on backspace (suuuucks).

On the whole seems OK but should be more unix-ey since then people can actually learn from the game or use the skills they know and not have to re-learn BS commands.

Edit2: Also sif can't make a bash script to just do all the stuff in one command! ./hax0rserver [server]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    IKT

IKT Member

lol high expectations :p

I noticed the music, haven't had a chance to play the game yet though.

4. Iceickle

Iceickle Member

How does it compare to Uplink? Loved that game.

5. Rezin

Rezin Member

There's a Windows version, apparently (going on their press releases). Plus it does give PC specs at the bottom of that page.

6. the-enigma

the-enigma Member

Quite a few annoyances.

File sizes displayed with ls are arbitrary (a 10 line text file is 1681 MBytes apparently). File sizes displayed also aren't indicative of how long it'll take to download, despite the game clearly showing file sizes and bandwidth available. (181MByte file took <20s on an apparent 1MBit connection)

Can only execute one command at once, yet the game immediately returns control to the terminal.

Can't chain commands with &&

Ctrl+D doesn't log out

Mousewheel doesn't work for terminal history

Can't create aliases or scripts of any sort.

So far all "servers" I've hacked have clearly not been servers. It's only the tutorial so far, but all I see is files directly related to the tutorial. Hoping this changes in missions.

Can't examine any downloaded "exploits" or "virus". They're all just treated as some magic black-box "this will crack the server" junk. (I know you can "cat" them but they don't say anything interesting in terms of actual hacking).

As far as gameplay goes, I found it fairly boring. Repetitive.
    As far as the "hacking" goes, maybe it's a good game if you want to pretend to be hacker.