'Haf To Haf It' Worklog - In Progress :D

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Imperitos, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Imperitos

Imperitos Member

Hey guys. After viewing all the awesome mods and scratch built cases on OCAU i figured i might as well jump into the mix. . I've been a bit of a lurker around OCAU for quite some time now, but have only just signed up to be a part of the community officially. This is my first case mod adventure so dont hurt me too much :)

The victim is a Coolermaster HAF 932 Case. This one in fact
    [​IMG]

After reviewing the stickies and worklogs of the elite currently on OCAU this project is intended to build myself a kick ass system and get input from the community on how to make it stand out. So i'm very VERY open to any experimental mod for those too scared to rip their own case apart to test. I have 5 other cases to try various bits and pieces to test their functionality before transferring them to the HAF. So ask away!

Heres roughly what i plan to do

1. Paint case
    2. Design and build a LED/FAN/Cathode circuit
    3. Completely remove the DVD Drive
    4. Substitute something sparkly and pretty to occupy the 6 5.25" bays ( was thinking 2x fans and a lumin disk)
    5. Remove unused cables from the system
    6. Cable sleeve everything
    7. Fix the boring side panel (similar to the Killzone 2 case)
    8. Possibly replace the mesh side panel with an etched graphic (still looking for a suitable design)
    9. more stuff

So at the moment nothing too major.

The future intent of this rig is to be overclocked and watercooled (duh!) Currently i'm seriously considering going HD5850 in Crossfire. with a i7 920, 12gb ram (wanted 24gb but its way too dam expensive). So far i've been practicing with the Dremel 300. Using a design i found on deviantart, I cut it into one of the practice case side panels. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mouth was meant to have jagged teeth but seems i can't get that kind of detail with the dremel. Just need to file/sand away the rough edges then it'll be ready for some painting. I wanted the interior of my case to be as reflective as it can be so that the UV cathodes/leds reach every part of the case. So short of putting a mirror inside i went out to Bunnings and found some Chrome paint.

[​IMG]

Just need to sand that panel down and get to it :)

I've also been looking at cable management and lighting control. If its one thing i hate with a passion its messy cables. Same with hoses in watercooled systems where they are just whacked in with no arrangement. So to battle this i've come up with this circuit design (i'm not qn electronics expert btw). Im my mind it seems workable, but i need a second opinion if its 1. safe, 2. correct in terms of wiring, 3. am i crazy?! Heres the PCB layout i'm looking at doing

[​IMG]

I'll update as more occurs.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Sounds like a worklog i shall follow. I'm in the same boat with my HAF, it too will be shown some modding goodness. Subscribed :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Imperitos

Imperitos Member

while i wait for the primer to dry i was mucking about in photoshop and came up with this.
    [​IMG]

I've always wanted to see the HAF logo lit up with led's. maybe UV perspex?

I'm also trying to get my hands on a Red Lumin/Plasma Disk to mount on the front of the case. All i can seem to find are green and blue ones. Anyone seen a site that sells them? Or can i just swap out the colour led (or whatever colours them) for a red led?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. iNoob

iNoob Member

Yeah get it cut with like a water jet or some shiz. Make sure they do it right though, nothing worse when they cut the wrong side of the panel and its back to front if you know what I mean.

5. OP
    OP
    Imperitos

Imperitos Member

Hmm, the chrome didn't turn out as i had originally hoped, i used 800 grit sandpaper between coats to smooth the surface. Although it does reflect a lot of light like so

[​IMG]

That 'mirror' finish is missing. I'll have to relook over the tutorial again to find out how to get the mirror effect going. Here are the coats

Primer x2 coats
    [​IMG]

1st Coat of chrome
    [​IMG]
    2nd coat
    [​IMG]
    Final coat
    [​IMG]
    Cutout before painting aimed at the sky
    [​IMG]

Now just gotta wait for my parts to arrive for the cables and bits from jaycar for the control circuit.

6. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

I think you'll need quite a few coats of chrome before you get it perfect. If you're after a real mirror finish, it might be an idea to look at getting it professionally chromed.

Looks like an interesting mod though.

7. SaWBLaDe

SaWBLaDe Member

i'm sorry but that spray chrome will never look any where near proper chrome.

save yourself some time and just get it chromed properly. you won't regret it

8. OP
    OP
    Imperitos

Imperitos Member

i'll shoot some emails off and see what kind of damage i'm looking at for the interiors. if its proves way too expensive then i'll have to bite the bullet and go for the standard haf schemes that have been seen before :upset: but all part of the learning curve :D

9. Hicksinator

Hicksinator Member

Looks like a promising mod mate. Glad to see you practicing before you go ahead with things as well. :lol:

10. richard.toomer

richard.toomer Member

You don't need switch on the bottom of the fans, unless you plan to turn them off for some reason.

Have you seen these power rail

Too many switches, it's best to have one switch controlling the 12V molex input, between fan one and the 12V of the molex comnnector. But it's really your call, some people like having full control, BTW what are the CCFL1 and CCFL2, cold cathodes ?

You know what size resistor you need ? generally 1 Kilaohm

I did something very similar, but made one fan header in and three fan head out, couldn't find three way fan splitters anywhere. Jaycar had all the bits, even some sweet LED rails too Jaycar

11. Captain Kermit

Captain Kermit Member

Is it just me or is that side panel with the dragon going to be upside down once it's attached to the case?

Good job on the cutting though, pretty neat.

12. OP
    OP
    Imperitos

Imperitos Member

Cheers for that, a bit rough but not bad imo for a first dremel cut :)
    [​IMG]

What I had thought up was to swap out the fans 3 pin plug for a 4pin one and use the extra pin to wire through the + of the LEDs while using the normal ground running through the fan. At this stage i couldn't care less about monitoring fan speeds so the 3 pin that usually monitors (i think) the fan speed will connect to nothing. The first switch on the bottom left was mean to control the LED + feed, although i only assumed that the fans would have a built in resistor (since normally you can just use the molex adapter).

The 2nd switch running along the bottom would control the 12V for the cathodes, while the 3rd switch is used for control any additional LEDs i add into the mix (the 2 side panels and front case LEDs i'm brainstorming with) with the proper resistors needed depending on how many LEDs their are.

At least that was how i thought of it. Should I just ditch the whole thing and go read more into it?

Coloured different parts of board, if it helps.
    [​IMG]

White - 12V for fans (always on)
    Blue - Ground
    Green- 12V for fan LED (assuming built in resistor)
    Cyan - 12V for Cold Cathodes
    Purple - 12V for Custom LED set ups (UV Leds, side panel Leds, etc)

But that pic you linked is pretty much spot on what i'm after. I'm guessing those 7 resistors are for the 7 sets of LED's he's got running around the case? No clue what the 5V is being used for.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Nice 'rough' cut on the design, you REALLY need to get yourself a set of needle files the finish it off.

RE: the chrome, as mentioned, chrome paint aint going to get your a 'chrome finish' simply not going to happen no matter how you paint it. If you want it chromed the surface needs to literally be mirror finish, needs to be sanded and polished before its chrome plated, much of the cost of chroming is in the man hours taken to prep the job before its dipped. A side panel wouldn't be too difficult and would prolly set you back 80 or so dollars, i wouldnt hazard to guess what an entire case would cost talking hundred of dollars though i think...

BEst of luck, nice first effort at case modding kudos for having a go and GREAT to see your using safety glasses ABSOLUTE MUST when using rotary tools fellas..

KiM

14. richard.toomer

richard.toomer Member

Yes the resistors are for the LED's, being a 12V supply you need to drop the voltage, hence i suggested a 1 Kila ohm resistor for your diagram.

The top 5V rail is for having fans permanently at 5V, so they would run at 40 - 50 % speed.

That particular unit retails for $49 NZD, little expensive and you can make it yourself with the correct ammount of connections you need for much cheaper.

Jaycar and dicksmiths have printed circuit boards that will do the trick if you needed a pre fabricated PCB.

I found these a while ago too,power board they have another version with more molex. All you would need to do is some desoldering and attach a switch where required. Switches can be mounted remotly, and there are a huge range at Jaycar and various other places. Since don't ship oversea's and i'm in New Zealand, i had to come up with something myself.

BTW your set up is sweet, no worries with safety, such a low voltage won't harm you really anyway. If you do make a board yourself, i covered mine with 5 min araldite, that way there is no chance of connections touching your case. I used metal links instead of wire on soldered joints, looked tidier and made the unit smaller too

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  15. 0vercl0ked

0vercl0ked Member

looking sexy

16. OP
    OP
    Imperitos

Imperitos Member

I'll be getting some acrylic and led's from gammods hopefully by the end of the week to find out the best arrangement for my HAF side panel (the nonfan side). I'll post up the 3d mockup when it's completed later tonight to show you guys what i'm looking at doing. And yes, i really need some hobby files. Probably be hitting up games workshop or another hobby shop in town to pick up a set (need them for my tyranids too :))
    Yeah I was just walking through bunnings and figured i better safety up a bit so just grabbed the better looking glasses. Wasn't until i got home that i noticed it had those funky LED lights on the sides, work a treat in low light :D

Ah dammit, you just gave another idea to improve the control board :D

I did consider getting the board from PCCG in my last order but figured i'd break out the solder and have another go at some circuits. Here was my last (extremely) simple circuit from about 2 years ago. Was meant to be a prop for a uni project that got scrapped. Never got to the stage of painting it :upset:
    [​IMG]

P.S. forgive the crappy camera quality...its a cheapy $100 one.

17. brayway

brayway Member

interesting mod coming along!
    i like that switch you made, i have something with similar parts for my power button on my pc, you have to turn the key, and then hit the toggle switch to turn it on :leet:

18. OP
    OP
    Imperitos

Imperitos Member

My computer is dieing

Well its seems my computer has taken a turn for the worst. Either it wants to blow up or its currently evolving into a transformer. I've been told it bad GPU memory, but would that also affect the sound? THe pop up that comes up is the auto jack detection saying i've just plugged something into my soundcard. weird

[​IMG]

This post probably should be in the Troubleshooting section, but it's kinda of relevant since i'll be ordering my new parts within the week :)

PS. It just tripped into transformer mode while making this post. Updates may not be as frequent while I scrap together my backup computer.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  19. brayway

brayway Member

ok so it is making that weird noise and the popup box is that all it is doing? if it is just that then i am guessing the sound card is stuffed. or maybe audio drivers?

20. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

it's also slow as shit by the looks of the video.

Does your mobo have onboard graphics? could try using that to rule out gfx card

Damn that's not a problem I'd like to have.