HAF912 advance + corsair H100 possible :)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by t00|, Jun 26, 2012.

1. t00|

t00| Member

I will fix this thread up tomorrow and progress as it happens, just dumping some pictures up quickly, will also get back when i'm installing hardware as to a push pull setup fitting too

Basically I ordered a new pc not doing much thinking and when it came time to the build I realised that the H100 is a self contained unit and made it impossible to do an external top mount. I did a quick google search and seen people just dremel the top grill out so that the block can fit in but that didnt leave me satisfied enough so I did some planning of my own :)

HAF Shell
    http://puu.sh/E2hv

Removing the top and starting to cut
    http://puu.sh/DLJq

Testing for size
    http://puu.sh/DLK0

Measuring the frame
    http://puu.sh/DLKq

Pretty!
    http://puu.sh/DLL3

Holes complete (minus some filing)
    http://puu.sh/DLLk

Vwolah! H100 now fits :)
    http://puu.sh/DLLI

Little extra to do for the fans, this is invisible as it sits underneath the radiator
    http://puu.sh/DLMk

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. Eject

Eject Member

The Naked HAF picture is a massive hall. XD

3. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Yeah man the first picture links to a picture of an actual hall. You might wan't to try the one again haha.

The rest looks pretty neat , great job :thumbup:

4. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Didn't realise how roomy a naked haf was, looks like it could fit 100-150 people in there... :Paranoid:

5. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

Wow. That naked HAF is MASSIVE! Wish I had a case like that!

6. OP
    OP
    t00|

t00| Member

Picture is fixed, nice to know this forum is full of sheepish trolls these days...

7. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Ill take a complement in any form, including sarcastic ;)

8. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Sorry, old thread i know...
    Would the h100 fit inside the case after removing the top 200mm fan?
    Googled the crap out of it with no results....
    Mind posting a pic or two?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  9. OP
    OP
    t00|

t00| Member

hey Carcin0Genic, that was the whole idea of this mod
    You just need to chop the back holes out of the case as shown so that the water lines can fit through.

I'm still to lazy to attach that back 80mm fan properly also need to fix that back fan grill to fit on top and I also never riveted the case back together :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Sweet. So is the top fan and rad now an intake for the case in stead of being an exhaust? And is the fan on the rear still an exhaust?
    Was thinking of swapping both the top and back fans to all intake and the fan on the front an exhaust. Just wondering if it would improve temps a bit.

11. SFX

SFX Member

Instead of creating a new thread, I thought what "t00|" has done here is right up my alley and worth adding to. (hope it's ok t00|)

I too have the same (HAF 912 Advanced) case but with a z77 Sabertooth mobo and about to pull the trigger on an h100i to replace my V6GT.
    I really like the way the existing 200mm top exhaust fan has been utilized to a push/pull config. for the h100.. and not wasting it. (good thinkin t00|.)

Although, I was thinking maybe reversing the radiator so the tubes are towards front of case, so they won't hit the rear (vertical) 120mm exhaust fan....
    then cut an elongated hole (like internal cable management ones) in lid big enough to poke through the h100i pump/block and tubes.
    Then, hopefully, using a matching elongated grommet, or if not, will use rubber edging with slitted sheet rubber/sponge stuff to fill in around tubes.

I was also thinking of keeping it as exhaust... in>|1x200mm push|>|rad|>|2x120mm pull|>out ...so to keep the front vertical 200mm case fan as intake.
    I saw a chart somewhere showing that there is only minimal difference (like under 1 deg?) when pulling through the radiator.
    Also, will be running the H100i 2x120mm pwm fans with the eufi bios controls (or AI suite) to dynamically adjust them to the cpu temp.. not the water temp.
    The 200mm fan (hopefully) can then be tuned to match the 120's to a similar flow.

@ t00|.. How's your setup's performance going with... in<|1x200mm pull|<|rad|<|2x120mm push|<out ... and did you reverse the front vertical 200mm case fan to exhaust?
    Also.. Where did you get those black perspex fan grills?... All I can find come from the states, with massive delivery charges.

So basically... I'm wondering if anyone has tried these "odd" type of fan setups with dynamic fan speed tuning.. and how the airflow spread of the 200mm fan performs
    when paired up with the airflow of the 2x120's through the radiator.

Anyones thoughts or experiences of same or similar, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  12. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

I managed to get a h100 into a antec 900 without physically modding the case

13. SFX

SFX Member

Cool... Did you have a play around with trying to match the airflow between the 2x120's and the 200mm fan?
    (ie: so one sides airflow does'nt hinder the other)

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Very nice mod, however I would have thought that a bit of rubber around the cut for the lines would be necessary... Im only thinking of the vibration and the possibility of the tubes being hacked away slowly over a few years, only to result in coolant being sprayed over your rig....

Otherwise very nice mod, I will have to show a mate of mine who wants to do a similar thing

15. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

no i just reused the 120mm fans that are the front of the case and set them up as push and pull would you like pics?

I didnt mount it at the top - i took the hdd trays out from the front and used cable ties to tie the rad to the case chassis.

Then put the covers back in place so looking at the case it dosent appear to have changed.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  16. SFX

SFX Member

Oh i c, no worries... I thought you meant you've utilized the top 200mm fan of your Antec 900 with your h100 and it's fans.

I'm little more concerned with the fitting/performance of the h100i (with it's 2x120mm fans) to a 200mm fan,
    which then creates a type of push/pull. (the Haf 912 Advanced has front 200 and top 200 fans standard, shame to waste one of em)

I think if the speed of the fans can be tuned to create a happy match of cfm/flow with each other, it should perform ok through the rad.
    Once that can be achieved, maybe then, I'll experiment with making up a custom shrouding to suit this type setup, to help it along.

PS: My gear arrives this Wednesday... I'll soon find out I guess.

Last edited: May 19, 2013