Haiku OS Beta 1 :D

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Vanne, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

So a few months ago Haiku OS, the BeOS remake achieved Beta1 status, after 15 years of development, this is a pretty darn big mile stone for them, even more so as its been a rough road for those guys over the last 5 years of so with in-fighting about what was to stay on the glass elevator and what needed to go into Beta. Package management was a big one, there were a few more issues, but I gotta admit, its pretty darn slick as it is right now actually.

If you remember BeOS or Zeta, go and have a look and download the Beta. Easy to burn and run off a CD if you just wanna take a look see, even easier to install onto a spare hard drive.

They done a pretty AWESOME job actually...

https://www.haiku-os.org

[​IMG]

elvis likes this.
  2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Pretty amazing considering how tiny the dev pool is, all told. I mean, imagine if the gnu hurd team got that active :p

3. breech

breech Member

Installed it, messed with it for the best part of a day, and just like React, I was left wishing it was much more finalised. Its going in a good direction but needs a hell of a lot of work to make it a 'zen' experience that the name implies. Unfortunately they use trac for their bug tracker and im too lazy to deal with that any more so ill just dump what I found here for now. The lack of modern browser support is a big problem, If it had a recent browser it would be my daily web system.

Pros:
    Clean and tidy interface
    Not nix/ios/win/os2 and doesn't feel like any of them
    Pixel art UI is great (I hope they keep it that way)
    Console isn't needed much compared to other systems but its not bad when you do use it (right click is insta-paste)
    Very fast loading (not sure for app performance, i need to retry it on a real machine with SSD+ram)
    Simple fast install (at least vbox which worked fine out of the box).
    The Software updater seems to do a good job, updates the kernel on reboot.

Cons:
    everything is dumped in the same cluttered locations, digging though directories is often necessary
    default apps don't take advantage of the environment/
    CTRL-ALT reversed (copy/paste does your head in)
    unstable - tons of crashy bugs, ui inconsistencies, ui weirdness,

Requires modernisation:
    Most mouse actions require many extra clicks
    Browser needs update/replacement

General annoyances:
    Daily build doesn't come with a package manager (wtf? run the updater)
    Replicants are great (panes that detach) but have visible handles / and the original persists.
    Installed apps are outdated
    Very crashy on low mem, somewhat crashy on higher mem (known bugs)
    UI needs work, lots of weirdness
    The mouseover window z-order changing is painful. i need to work out how to kill that.
    Haiku Depot download app
    - 'all packages' lists half the internet
    - some package downloads prevent further downloads from starting without warning
    - downloads are not queued/pausable/restartable
    Weird coloured edges on the fonts, may be acceleration

I miss it now though, i'll set it up properly soon! :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I doubt its acceleration, as there is none. purely Vesa only, and Mesa is another issue.

Couldent agree more about the browser, Net+ used to be awesome, not so much now :(

I cant say ive had issues with ram, aside from the browsers EATING it like its going out of fashion. Needs fixing that ASAP.

The other HUGE letdown, already slightly mentioned it is Mesa/no 3d Hardware Accel... now THAT sucks hard!!!

aside from that, i have hardly any issues, its very hardware dependant if you have a good experience or not. get supported hardware out of the box and you will love it. (web browser still sux though)

5. karnophage

karnophage Member

On Beta 2 now. Haven't played since new version though - any major updates?

6. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Yup huge change to webpositive.. webkit got ported.. pretty amazing really.. I also believe usb stack got a going over, but I don't have much dramas with usb as all of my hardware I use for haiku was hand picked.

I am running the developer nightlies.

7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Still big issues with the web browser, but until there is Flash support, there will always be.I guess the gen population will determines a systems OS usable on how it run's Youtube and Facebook. (Ohh the drama!!!)

I am hoping beta 3 stats to deal with 3d/2d hardware acceleration . R5 didn't have that either though, only experimental for 3dfx.

But yeah beta 2 is a huge improvement. Still a long way to go though.

Congrats to the dev team.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  8. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

But... there's not going to be support for flash on ANY platform from the end of this year...

9. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol about time.. I frikkin hate flash.