1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Hainan Chicken

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by wrek3000, May 1, 2012.

1. wrek3000

wrek3000 Member

Guys sorry if this is in the wrong section but i really want a recipe for hainan chicken? Any recipes?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

3. Baringa

Baringa Member

There was a place up here in Darwin that did the best hainan chicken (and chicken noodle soup) I've ever tasted, and then they closed down. :( Having a shot at doing it myself has been on my to-do list for the past 2 years since the shop closed.

4. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

So the whole chicken simmers for 10-15 minutes and then just 'sits' in the hot water for 45?

5. scon

scon Member

Yep, that's how they keep the flesh so tender. And when they say chicken broth in the rice, use the broth from the pot you've cooked the chicken in - don't go out and buy a carton of chicken stock.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

I do mine in the slow cooker. Also, last time, I threw in some other chicken bits a couple of necks or something, to make the stock even more chickeny.

7. reags

reags Member

My mother makes the best Hainan chicken rice (inc. ground chilli sauce), but it has to be observed to be learnt as the rice inflused with ginger/garlic takes a good 45mins alone.

8. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Should not have entered this thread with no Hainan Chicken nearby.

on-topic: would this ruin the use of a meat thermometer if it's standing in water-that-is-cooling-down for 45min? I'd want a second measure other than the skewer thing.

9. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Why would you need to keep an eye on the temperature of the water? You know the heat's off and the chicken is meant to sit in the water slow cooking.

I believe most thermometers wouldn't have any problems with sitting in sustained heat for long durations.

If you also get the recipe book from Adam Liaw - the season 2 MasterChef winner, he's got quite a number of nice recipes. His Hainan Chicken is in it.

10. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

the idea is that you poach the chicken in the hot water with the veg to make the stock that u use to cook the rice as scon said. You need to keep an eye on the water temp, and some recipes even say to leave the pot on the stove (while resting) and give it another blast of heat near the end when the temp drops to make sure the chicken is cooked.

The authentic recipe has the chicken on the bloody side as well....If you visit some places, they will cook the "western version" which is well done, yet the locals eat it with the chicken still a little pink with some blood left.

From memory there are a couple of sauces (chili or garlic ones) that go with it as well.

11. scon

scon Member

Yeah, you need the sauces, they make it for me. Love the ginger and shallot one! I usually like to just put the chook in the pot of simmering aromatics, bung the lid back on, bring back to simmer and immediately turn off the stove however mrs. scon freaks out if she sees the blood near the bones, so I simmer now like the above recipe says.

If you get the chicken, then cool it in the fridge overnight and deep fry it, it makes the most delicious crispy skinned chicken - works great with poussin sized chooks.

12. minushuman

minushuman Member

13. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Eh? I don't care about the temperature of the water, I meant a thermometer to use on the meat to determine when it's done.

To clarify I was wondering out loud if being in the water will affect the temperature of the meat in such a way the meat thermometer isn't an accurate way of determining if the meat is cooked through.

14. chylld83

chylld83 Member

If you're willing to go the ready-made route, try the "Prima Taste" brand hainan chicken box. The chicken rice made using the sauces in that box is second to none!

15. brad81

brad81 Member

16. Oosh

Oosh Member

I started making a simplified version of this a few weeks ago and it has entered regular rotation in our household.

Fry off some garlic and ginger in peanut oil, stir thru some rice, and dump it all in the rice cooker with the requisite amount of water.

Steam some whole chicken breasts. I place them on a trivet in a vegetable steamer on a pot.

Make a single, amalgamated sauce, consisting of; rice wine vinegar, peanut oil, ginger, chilli, chicken stock powder.2
    Once you're happy with it add some finely sliced spring onion (green tips only).

When the chicken is just done1, remove it and place on a board to rest, then chuck some pak choy in the steamer to heat and wilt.

Start serve it up by pressing the rice in to cup mould and turn out on the plate, remove the pak choy from the steam and lay down a bed of it, then slice the chicken breast and place it on top, finally pour the sauce over it. Some slices of Lebanese cucumber on the side make a refreshingly cool accompaniment.

Edit 1: 1I use a food thermometer to keep a close eye on it to make sure it isn't overdone and dries out.
    Edit 2: Can't believe I left the rice wine vinegar out! :o
    Edit 3: 2I make this to taste, but the ingredients are in qty order, as a base the ratio of vinegar-to-oil is approx. 2:1.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  17. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I used to make my Hainanese Chicken Rice using the traditional method, which is - simmer the chicken for 10 minutes, then turn the heat off and rest in the covered pot for 30 minutes, then refresh in ice water.

Given what I now know about cooking chicken, this is my current method:

For poaching broth:
    - 1.6kg chicken at room temperature
    - 3cm ginger, 1mm dice
    - 8 spring onions, greens only
    - 4 leaves of chinese cabbage (wombok)
    - 200mL Chinese cooking wine
    - 3L water

For rice:
    - reserved fat from chicken offcuts
    - reserved broth
    - Jasmine rice, thoroughly rinsed
    - 1x pandan leaf

Method:
    - trim the fat off the chicken and reserve for the rice.
    - bring the water and all the broth ingredients to temperature at 75C with a sous-vide controller
    - add the chicken and immediately lower the temp on the SV controller to 62C
    - cook the chicken for 1 hour, or until a meat thermometer registers 60C. Remove and rest.
    - In the meantime, render the fat in a wok over low heat. Remove the fat and add the rice. Dry fry until the rice until coated in oil, but DO NOT allow the rice to become toasted.
    - Once the chicken is removed and resting, add the broth to the rice in a 1:1 ratio (by volume) and cook in a rice cooker.

The other condiments - chilli sauce, ginger sauce - can be bought in an Asian grocery store.

18. OP
    OP
    wrek3000

wrek3000 Member

Thanks for the replies guys,i have also heard too that the water needs to come to the boil then turn off and let the chicken sit in the pot with just a lid covering.This seems to be the case with quite a few of these recipes.On another note,i love that gineger and shallot mix you always seem to get with the chicken,how do we make it?I could seriously hop in to an asian bbq shop and just literally eat this on its own.Its always served with roast duck,chicken and pork but you never end up with enough,just a small container no bigger than a coke bottle cap!:(

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  19. chylld83

chylld83 Member

Perhaps this one? minus the chilli

20. Oosh

Oosh Member

Take the stock powder out too, steaming plain chicken has less flavour than poaching and/or marinating it, so I put it in my sauce to go some way towards compensating.

Edit: Note I left the rice wine vinegar out of my original post, fixed it up now, but important to you incl. it to get that nice tang.

Last edited: May 4, 2012