1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hakko FX-888D currently on special @ Mektronics

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by v81, Apr 3, 2017.

1. v81

v81 Member

2. _zak

_zak Member

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm sorely tempted to pick one up to replace the 80 W Micron I got from Altronics about two years ago. Has anyone made a similar switch and can comment on the difference, if any?

3. bleckers

bleckers Member

They are a very decent station for hobbyist work. The only downsides are that it doesn't power down when you put it in the cradle and that the iron is a little heavy in the hand. The tips are cheap as though.

If you don't have a station currently and are looking for something to upgrade to from a regular iron, then this is a good choice. If you have the Micron station, I'd probably look into the FX951 instead as the FX-888D is not a huge upgrade from that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. _zak

_zak Member

Cheers for the opinion, that's really helpful. The main reason I'd be looking at upgrading is the tips; the Micron station I have only has six options (large and small in conical, chisel and wave), and they're not particularly cheap considering how limited they are. I'll have a look into the 951 and see if I can find a decent price somewhere.