Half-Life:Alyx

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

In what way?

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I have a 1.5m diameter space in front of PC, enough room? Thats just until my legs bump into desk. Maybe 2.0m of arm space.

Ill wait till index comes here, if ever.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  3. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

If Valve really wanted to push VR as the next generation whose time has come, the Index would be the cheapest VR kit on the market, and it would be available worldwide. Lets face it, they could heavily subsidise it with the massive income they get from Steam.

There's a few early adopters, but VR is not going to get any kind of GAMING mass market acceptance for at least 2 years. I have no doubt that Alyx will get rave reviews, but it's not going to sell well.

4. Nerb

Nerb Member

Ive been playing it this morning on my index and knuckles. Picking up a can and then crushing it NEVER gets old. TBH, the game is amazing. Im not very far into it, but the interactivity is mindblowing. I spent 10 minutes before leaving the starting balcony simply crushing cans and throwing them. They way they have added weight to the game is awesome. Heavy objects feel heavy, heavy doors feel heavy. They have made it so moving your hands quickly makes your hands slip off a heavy door handle or heavy drum, so you have to move heavier objects more slowly.
    In the demo, the footage looked smooth... cause there is an option for smoothing the tv output footage. Damn the boys at valve have thought of everything.... so far.

qwertylesh and Nethiuz like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

won't be many ppl sinking money into VR at the moment i'd think.

6. Nerb

Nerb Member

It wont sell well because they are giving it away! Gabe said in his recent interview they dont expect sales to be high. They have made this game to drive their own tech and dont care about sales.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

JB HiFi announced they sold out of Nintendo Switches and PS4s overnight. Sounds like there's a lot of people investing in gaming right now.

I know it's highly dichotomous. Half the world feels like it's on a giant vacation. Half the world is lining up at centrelink. :(

Nethiuz likes this.
  8. Nerb

Nerb Member

1/3 at centre link, 1/3 on vacation, 1/3 busier than ever? The construction industry is flat out. All hospitality renovations have moved forward to get construction done while no patronage. People stuck at home are getting their long overdue renovations done. Work everywhere for some.

elvis likes this.
  9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

They're not fucking giving it away at $2000 landed in australia for an Index kit.

10. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

That's a blue sky strategy. I think they're a lot more practical than that. It took years for the Oculus VR sets to come down from over US$1,000 to their current price point of US$399. Valve has only really started entering this field.

I think they are doing what companies usually do, subsidizing next model development using early adopters. I think VR is what they're really getting heavily into, and Alyx is the vehicle they're using.

Yes very likely, but the point is Valve will be ahead of other people. Alyx is already a very deep and robust VR product, demonstrating they are absolutely invested in making VR games going forward.

It doesn't have to sell well, it just has to get people interested in VR who weren't interested in VR previously. People like me. Alyx has me sufficiently interested to seriously consider a VR set. Previously I've never been interested, and I was waiting to see evidence that there were decent games available which really took advantage of VR's full potential. I think Alyx is a sensible loss leader. That's why it's being offered free if you buy their VR set.

I think there will be more people sinking money into it than previously, and I think they'll be persuaded to do so by Alyx.

11. Aich-Kay

Aich-Kay Member

i want to buy a new gfx and vr setup for this. just like i did for half life 2. and like i did for half life.
    this would be the most expensive half life for me yet

qwertylesh likes this.
  12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I think this article gets what Valve are trying to do.

walker_2003 and Nethiuz like this.
  13. Nerb

Nerb Member

You dont have to spend 2000. You can spend nothing. If you were a local, I could call in, plug in a knuckle controller and whamo... HL-A is available on your system. Its free if you plug in an index headset, knuckle or lighthouse. Any of Valves parts.

14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

They aren't stupid, a free game in exchange for $100 million dollars worth of VR equipment sold. Which will cement them in the VR industry alongside Oculus and HTC. Not to mention their kit is better than the others anyway, just needed the attention!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Fortigurn likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i would have bought an Index but Valve won't sell me one and i don't want to settle for something else at this point in time I will just wait. I frequently play AAA but also old games, this game won't age too badly i'd hope.

it looks cool and I already love VR it's just timing now for me personally.

Nerb likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah I didn't want to say it, but I'm working more now than ever. My wife too. Feel kinda guilty about it when so many are suffering.

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I would love to play Alyx on VR, but it isn't going to happen any time soon. Fortunately by the time I'm ready to throw down on VR, Valve will probably have their better, cheaper, second edition of Index out on the market. I don't think Alyx is going to show any age for a long time; look at Half Life 2.

18. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Interest is pointless if you can't buy the thing.

Oh, so you would gift a full vr kit to me for free? Somehow I doubt it.

Even if I HAD the money, valve aren't selling to australia, and probably never will. And I'm not willing to hand over $2000 on something with no warranty support. And there are millions just like me.

power likes this.
  19. nope

nope Member

got about an hour in... WMR is a pita the steam overlay button is the same as the game menu button? Who designed these binds? Anyone know if theres fixed binds for wmr

20. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

But plenty of people can buy the thing. This is why Valve has suddenly shifted an enormous volume of units, selling out all their original stock, and now have a pile of backorders.