1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Half-Life:Alyx

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Nov 19, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

it has never been offered in australia.

2. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Valve has never sold the Index in australia, and they most likely never will.

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

It's not available here in Taiwan either. I don't see how this is relevant to the fact being cited; that the release of Alyx has impressively driven up sales of Index.

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. terroristone

terroristone Member

this game is absolutely brilliant, im using a rift s, currently stuck early trying to work out how to get over the wall. i know what i need to do but i think there might be some issue with the jump function for me, i can never make it over the wall.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Fortigurn likes this.
  5. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

This is an australian forum on an australian site.

6. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

hahaha this. Just kinda standing on that balcony going "whoaa" :leet:

Sif wait for an Index to play. Rift S is like 90% of the immersion you'd get with an Index, and either of them are like 100000% of the immersion you'd get playing this in pancake mode

My only hot take is go hardcore from the start, no teleport/warp moving. Smooth-move and suck up the wierdness/dizziness, your body will get used to it (though stop if you start to feel your stomach, dont want to create any pavlovian responses!). Warp-moving is immersion-breaking imo.

7. terroristone

terroristone Member

I finally worked out how to get over the dam fence, this game is absolutely unreal, if you havnt got it or havnt got vr get it, you have no idea what modern day gaming is. Game changer for sure

Fortigurn likes this.
  8. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

So rift S base kit all you need? Comes with everything? $650 ain't bad!

Is a 1.75m diameter circle enough room? (2.25m arm reach just got desk to deal with)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    terroristone likes this.
  9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I played a little tonight and its very impressive on my Pimax 5k.

The game has very detailed scenery, makes me want a 8k headset!

I love what Valve have done with the art and graphics of the Half Life universe, everything feels real and like you are really there.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    qwertylesh, terroristone and nic55 like this.
  10. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Oh, now a new argument. Previously it was "I can't buy it". Now it's "This is an Australian forum on an Australian site". Ok, same question as before. What is the relevance to the fact being cited, that the release of Alyx has impressively driven up sales of Index? That's a fact. It has already happened. It doesn't matter that this is an Australian forum, on an Australian site. It doesn't change the fact under discussion.

This is the point right here.

This game is doing exactly what it's supposed to do; get people to invest in VR.

qwertylesh likes this.
  11. nic55

nic55 Member

On the left controller long press the little button underneath the joystick, menu button I think it's called with the 3 horizontal lines.
    Also go in to accessibility and turn on crouch, you can click the left trackpad to crouch/stand which has made the game so much more playable. This setting is in the orange half life game settings menu, not the grey steam settings menu.
    The WMR controllers were a bit tricky to aim with so I've found upgrading all guns to laser sights asap to ease frustration.
    You can always go in to steam settings (press the joystick, grey menu) and there's an option for custom controls per-game, or you can just view the current mappings.

Racked up 8hrs yesterday in-game, love it! Majority of the game I was seated in a ~1.2x1.2m area, hit the desk and walls more times than I can count but got through the game without trouble. I've never really appreciated how easy hitting R to reload is until you have to manually change clips from your backpack and cock the gun with a headcrab jumping at you.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Sciflyer likes this.
  12. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

yes, and a Rift S is IMO a solid buy for VR - well priced, decent quality and no basestations to worry about.

you’re probably going to want a bit more space to play than that to be safe though as you will stray from the centre of your space and that’s when you start hitting things with your controllers.

A lot of games you can play sitting down but I don’t think this is one of them

terroristone and walker_2003 like this.
  13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Humm can I run index hand controllers with rift S? I love how index has full finger control.

14. Nerb

Nerb Member

I also did 8 hrs yesterday, but standing. My hips got sore! lol.
    I dont know if I could play it sitting down. I have a 2.5x2.5 play area, but i think i will move the couch out of the room today and give myself a bigger area. Physically peeking out either side of an obstacle is incredibly fun.
    Agree on the reloading... more than once I panic mashed the controllers forgetting how to reload with those fricking armoured head crabs coming at me.

qwertylesh likes this.
  15. nic55

nic55 Member

I wanted to give standing a go as my desk has heaps of room on the opposite side but couldn't for the life of me find where 'room calibration' has moved to in SteamVR, used to be in the VR properties menu on the normal PC screen :confused:. Plus I tend to rip the cable out of the headset fairly often it's a bit short on the HP WMR.

And panic smashing the controllers in to each other when sliding the shotgun pin back :lol:

16. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

I doubt they are compatible but don’t take my word for it

In any case the std Rift S controllers have thumb/forefinger “tracking” so you can grip, point and press things

17. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah k, video I saw showed rift just pressing button to pick things up in Alyx where the Index was full 5 finger tracking and you 'grab' stuff.

18. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

With gripping it is technically just a button press but because of the way it’s designed you’re pressing that button by making a natural grip position with your hand so it’s pretty intuitive

terroristone likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

great now i'm picturing someone standing in front of their desk flailing their arms around bashing things and pulling cables out as they do it.

20. Nerb

Nerb Member

Yes they are "compatible". SteamVR registers controllers and headset seperately. You can use any controller with any headset, they are not linked together. The headset is just a screen, the controllers are just mice (mouses?). VR just tracks them, thats all.

walker_2003 likes this.