1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Half-Life:Alyx

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Nov 19, 2019.

1. flain

flain Member

I'm in the middle of getting an 11m x 6m extension room built off the back of our house. I told the missus before we even got the first quote "you know, I'm going to use this space for a while before we put furniture in it so i can play VR games and actually walk around". She said "ah well ok sure", and now i have the reason to cash in on that and I'm going to hold her to it :)

BurningFeetMan and boneburner like this.
  2. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Can this be played without vr gear?

3. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

My thoughts too. But even then, it’s built for VR gear, so won’t be much of an experience without. :(

4. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Yeah, that's a mod, not a continuation of anything canon.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

There is mods but I highly recommend grabbing a $450 oculus quest 2 (and a gtx1080 or better) and giving it a go.. Amazing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    terroristone likes this.
  6. modernshoggoth

modernshoggoth Member

2nd'ing the 2nd-hand Quest 2. As much as I hate to give money to facebook, the price point for the resolution and comfort/fit factor is unparalleled. Dunno about a 1080 though. I played through on a 2080 and it was still pretty laggy. It'll be a nice dip in the pool for VR in general but on HL:A the fps will be pretty low and the overall experience will be diminished when you have to stop every 45min to regain your legs.

And shit yeah, that mod looks GREAT. The replacement voice actors are damn good, too.

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

HL Alyx was fine on my 1080, no FPS drops once things were set correctly.

The problem with VR is graphics matter so much though, you always want higher graphics and resolution that you wish you had a 3080.

8. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I found dips with my laptop 2070 super but that was pretty high details.

A 1080 you would probly have to run it at low to keep the 1% drops to decent frame rates.

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The 1080 is about 15-25% faster then the laptop 2070 Super. VR is also very CPU bound so your laptop CPU might have been throttling due to heat.

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah true makes sense

11. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Pardon my lack of vr knowledge, how does it work? Do you plug it into the hdmi port on your graphics card?

I've got a 3070 and I'm using display port for a 144hz screen. How would I connect up a vr set, and finally any recommendations on one? I would rather a new one and budget is around the 500 to 700 mark.

12. flain

flain Member

With the Quest 2 you can either plug in directly to the PC (via a long USB-C cable), or you can stream wirelessly to the headset (i recommend getting a dedicated AP if you plan to do this). It doesn't plug into the video card though - it uses some drivers/software to stream the video output to the headset.

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

yeah quest 2 is great entry but technically not native VR as its a video stream via oculuslink but its still great.

ArmoureD normally you go direct to GPU on units like HTC Vive etc. If you want dedicated PC VR, go the https://www.scorptec.com.au/product...SAh91jFwkg8Z9rfu_eXZGcTnG_LjGhhRoCcosQAvD_BwE

14. pittster

pittster Member

Another hell yeah for the Quest 2. Great price I did upgrade mine with the HTC Vive Deluxe headset, 3d printed adapters, 3d printed rear battery mount with 10,000mA battery it can go for 8Hours.

Have run it Via Air Link, Direct 1Gb connection to Wifi 6 Router, within 10m of router.

HL Alyx is a stand out in VR gaming and without cables super immersive, I dont think anything else comes close

I have also been loving Dirt 2 in VR with wheel, and keen for F1 2022 with VR

15. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I agree, there isn't a lot of titles that match to HL Alyx yet (fidelity, immersion, polish, etc). Resident Evil 4 on quest 2 is certainly great and up there.
    There's also HL2VR which is in closed beta right now, I was lucky enough to get into the current beta and can say with certainty that it's amazing.
    GordonBeatdown.jpg
    Going to be awesome for anyone who wants a long, high physics, challenging half life game to play when it lands to open beta (its coming by the end of the year at latest). and as long as you have HL2 on steam, then it'll be free when it releases. :leet:

the HL2 eps should eventually also come along later, since the base game ported to vr helps take care of a whack of the development challenges.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  16. pittster

pittster Member

Ohh thats super cool, I have been also playing Lambda1VR (half life on Quest Vr Side loaded) and thats super fun and cool experiencing HL1 in VR. HL2 will be super cool

17. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Same here, I have the Dr beefs Lamba1VR and Helifax's return to castle Wolfenstein port. HL2 is awesome and finally coming after so many years :)