Half-Life:Alyx

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Nov 19, 2019.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Just wait for the eventual mod that will let the game run without a VR headset, returning the "looking" to mouse movement, movement to WASD, and buttons to their respective places.

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

they make a dedicated VR headset (they split from HTC) why would they not make software for it?

Even if it is a niche it has a dedicated community, who have money (clearly) and want to spend said money.

terroristone likes this.
  3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

A mod is inevitable given how easy it is to mod the engine but I imagine its going to be very awkward to control.

I guess you could assign keyboard buttons to fingers although you wouldn't be able to adjust how much grip you give them.

All depends on how necessary finger touch is in this game though.

There could also be a lot of other VR related controls/sections which don't really port that well to keyboard/mouse.

4. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

To be fair in this case, look at the context. A polarized response is totally comprehensible, and accusations of cash grabbing are not at all out of place when leveled at Valve, especially given their track record with HL3. Businesses are supposed to make money, but it's hardly a stretch to accuse companies in this particular industry of the occasional cash grab, especially in the current climate of micro-transactions and perpetually re-heated IP.

Sankari likes this.
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Companies exist to make profit. You have personal choice on where to spend your money.

"Cash grab". "Greedy". These are emotive terms that have nothing to do with it. Do, or do not spend your money. Your personal and subjective choice.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

and if they can't make money how can they invest in cool stuff, like VR, streaming (or those sales everyone loves), etc etc. you don't want all your dollarydoos to come from publishers if you can help it.

7. Nerb

Nerb Member

How many people here have an index? Mine is in the post... bring on March.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i'm thinking about it but at the same time i think the Index successor might even be fully wireless.

Ignore that this is Linus and look at the tech. About 6:20 is where the wireless stuff starts.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I personally wouldn't be waiting around for wireless. The Vive Pro makes sacrifices to be wireless, I can only imagine what the sacrifices would be for the pimax (Wireless is planned)

Consider that my Pimax 5k is 2x 2560x1440, and the Valve Index is 2x 1440 x 1600, but I find my Pimax has too much SDE, and thats with the fact that the Pimax is RGB, which has a decent SDE advantage over penstripe headsets (Vive, Oculus)

I think wireless won't catch up for a long time, especially when you add in large FoV, and the fact that the Pimax and Valve Index are 120hz.

As soon as you play open world games like skyrim you start to notice all the SDE, I doubt they are making Half-Life: Alyx indoors.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i think you are right, but having used a Vive Pro for a fair bit now i'm pretty over cables already. The Index is very tempting.

11. terroristone

terroristone Member

ive got a rift s and happy with it, hopefully this game works with it, fit not i will but the index. Maybe Valve waiting and letting us fans age into being able to afford whatever we need to play whatever HL game they release..

T1

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

SDE alone almost defeats the purpose of VR, it reminds you the new reality being presented to you isn't so real. Surely it's pretty minimal with the vive pro? Not cheap though!

Happy to wait another cpl gens

13. chook

chook Member

[​IMG]

rvrftw and terroristone like this.
  14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I just came back from SIGGRAPH. The near future of VR is fully wireless.

power likes this.
  15. rthy

rthy Member

in the wallet :<

kreegor and chook like this.
  16. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

if you add the numbers together 1.03% of steam users have a VR headset, several headsets how up as 0.00 so it's probably closer to 1.04. the number of active monthly users on steam are 90 million, i would presume that people who have VR headsets are quite dedicated gamers so they'd be almost fully represented in that number. that means if all VR headsets are supported by this game they have a potential target audience of 936,000 or 45,000 if it's only for valve index.
    considering the development cost of the hardware and game vs user numbers i doubt they'd break even, makes it a bit hard to describe it as a cash grab.

17. Luke212

Luke212 Member

will it work on Rift?

18. nope

nope Member

nobody thats who

19. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Fuck Gabe Newell if this is VR only.

Fischbitz, rthy and nope like this.
  20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Well I built a new PC in 2004 to play half-life 2.
    If this is a proper, full length game, can’t see why I wouldn’t get a VR headset to play it.

If however it’s a 5 hour tech demo (that just happens to be half-life themed)like most VR games are, I can’t see myself needing to play it.

Sitting on the fence and waiting for some hype, if hype never happens, I have my answer.