Half-Life:Alyx

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

How many people even have vr?
    Also can I get a decent vr headset off eBay for $7.99?
    The headset is refurbished in Bangladesh

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  2. nope

nope Member

3. Sankari

Sankari Member

Pimax 5K XR has 5K res and 200° FOV.

4. terroristone

terroristone Member

i hope people dont rush into VR without doing research and jump on all these cheap half assed items and then think VR is shit..... I can only hope this game is limited to the higher end of VR units.

5. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

7. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Rumour has it the index will be $US1000, so IF it gets released here, it'll be $AU1800.

8. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

With Alyx for free!? Deal-breaker of not included

9. terroristone

terroristone Member

once again, it is free to all who own the index.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Yup this thread is hilarious, so many desperate people want to pay next to nothing but will have a horrible experience and then probably complain that VR sucks.

The Valve Index (or Pimax) + Valve Knuckles Controllers is the only real way to play, anything else and you are severely cutting the experience.

I'm just hoping they hurry up and sell the controllers before release.

You don't really need rumours on an already released product...

Entire package including Headset, Controllers, two Base Stations, and Half-Life: Alyx. - $999 USD

Valve Knuckles Controllers with free Alyx Half Life game is $279 USD

Valve Index Headset with Alyx game is $499.00 USD

Thats the price you pay for a real VR experience.

rthy and spank36 like this.
  11. Nerb

Nerb Member

No, its free to all who own the knuckles. You can use the knuckles with any headset.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Wrong

Its also free with the Index.

If you purchased the Index and the controllers on separate accounts, you would have two copies.

terroristone likes this.
  13. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

My issue is the room I'll need - I have small kids and I CBF setting up base stations and the PC manually and then moving them away afterwards. Lifestyle wise you can't exactly drop in drop out, so its basically only possible to use after ~8-9PM, whereas 'normal' gaming I can get away with bursts on Saturday arvo for example and still be able to alt tab away to quickly do things if necessary.

Also I know I have nausea issues with phone VR, not sure about dropping fat stacks on the real thing.

This does look like to have the potential to be the killer game, looking forwards to others taking the plunge and reporting back lol

14. Nerb

Nerb Member

Lol... actually, can you do that and gift me one copy? I had a mate in the states buy the index and post it to me... so I guess I wont get a free copy :(

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats a shame, I guess he has your copy. If he already purchased it then he might have the second copy as a gift.

As far as I know you can play Half Life Alyx in standing only, as long as you have enough room for your arms not hit anything in that spot you will be fine. The experience won't be as good but if thats your only compromise then its not too bad.

Nausea issues are common with Phone VR and most other VR because its simply terrible.

The Valve Index is 120hz which helps with your eyes, your computer can render it at 120fps, which removes nausea for most people, the FoV of the Index is much bigger, which also helps with Nausea, and probably the biggest one of all, The Valve Index and other lighthouse tracking systems have much better tracking then garbage phone VR, and its also better then the camera based systems. The reason you can get nausea is when the tracking doesn't match up with what your brain thinks should happen, thats why the Index + lighthouse is perfect.

16. nope

nope Member

yep steamvr and wmr are all cross compatible

walker_2003 likes this.
  17. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

IMO this has the potential to finally be VR’s killer app. I’ve had little to no interest in VR due to the absolute lacking of any killer app thus far...sure someone will get butthurt over that comment but it’s true. now I find myself looking up the valve index and stuff because I can’t not play a half life game.

nope likes this.
  18. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

A generation of kids who grew up with the series would feel the same! (Myself included). This audience is most likely working and is able to buy the setup required to chase that HL memory, even of it means (begrudgingly) spending $1500+ for it :p

terroristone likes this.
  19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The killer app is completely dependent on what you want to play.

In terms of big company high quality single player campaigns that are made for VR, and not a port, you are correct.

For ports there is Skyrim VR, Fallout VR, Doom VR, Borderlands VR and more, these are great ports as well.

I think the main reason why this is particularly interesting is because its part of an existing popular universe, and you can only play it in VR.

20. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Ports barely count - most reviews I saw mention how obvious it is they weren't 'made for VR' and such. Plus I can just play the non VR versions rather than a port. I absolutely love fallout and borderlands but wasn't at all tempted by the VR ports...

A new half life that is made ground up for VR and is VR exclusive though? Now that's a real reason to start looking into VR gear.