Half-Life:Alyx

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Nov 19, 2019.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

These are the true words of someone who has never used real VR.

Literally everything is better in VR.

The only exception are games where i'm lazy and I want to watch TV at the same time.

Those VR ports I mentioned are amazing to play.

Also that reminds me, Payday 2 is amazing in VR.

FerrisXB9R, Sciflyer and terroristone like this.
  2. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Yeah see i straight up refuse to believe that based on what I've read, so it's essentially irrelevant...what VR needs is something to entice people to take it seriously. Ports with bad reviews complaining about unintuitive immersion breaking stuff are not that.

The fact that I haven't tried it and might actually love the ports doesn't matter if I (and I'm not alone) have been convinced they're trash.

edit: Hmm. Some googling suggests the dumpster fire that fallout VR was at launch has largely been fixed by patches since...now that makes it more tempting

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The ports have been quite good besides some day 1 issues in various games. I played Fallout VR very soon after launch and it was fine.

The real problem with ports is that you start to realise that you need a seriously powerful GPU to run an open world game at a resolution that you find acceptable. "Made for" VR games use various tricks to hide the problem, for example large text and not having to look at smaller objects at long distances.

The only other thing i'll say about ports, and this is completely dependent on the person is that doing annoying repetitive tasks in VR is not fun for me. I found Fallout 4 kinda boring but playable, in VR this is simply amplified. I'm sure some people love walking around in Fallout 4 VR though.

There is a wide range of great VR games, including ports, Half Life Alyx is great but literally nobody is going to buy VR and find thats the only game they are interested in once they actually try other games as well.

Valve know they have a great game and its priced accordingly, most other VR games are priced very cheaply.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  4. nope

nope Member

Some pretty big spoilers for HL:VR A

RnR and mAJORD like this.
  5. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

not sure how to feel about this.

Excited and disappointed.

After so many years not HL3 but still HL..

VR does mean a whole new set of gear..

Feels like a its going to be a cash grab tech demo piece than a full fledge game.

And with most Vr headsets still cabled.. not sure how good it is with a game of this type.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

VR is really the next big thing in gaming (streaming is just delivery and as such boring as a concept) and it's great to see Half-Life on the forefront of it. VR takes everything that we have now, refines it and immerses us in ways not possible before (and yes this comes with the caveat that VR has been around for some time).

nope likes this.
  7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You've seen the trailer and its a 15 hour campaign.

How is that a cash grab? Especially with the low user base of VR?

Cabled VR works perfectly fine for the majority of games.

The only games I would like wireless for are fast reaction high mobility games like Onward where you have to literally hit the ground in your playspace, or turn in many circles and things while shooting and dodging people which makes the cable get tangled.

Its amazing how many people who barely know what VR is, have already decided its not for them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Sciflyer and terroristone like this.
  8. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Ok, I'll ask. Can you do a FPS VR game sitting down?

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Video games were around for close to 40 years before mainstream explosion. And for all the same reasons VR is stalling on currently.

My take is that the hardware needs to mature past the current cumbersome enthusiast offerings. It needs to be light, completely untethered, simple, and fast enough to combat the will documented nausea issues. It'll get there. Just a matter of time.

We all get caught up in the hype sometimes, and forget that these things take time. (This is also why old man elvis loves his video game history. It offers quite a lot of perspective).

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yes you can. If i wanted to I could play Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR seated. I haven't tried it myself as I do prefer standing, but to take a break i sit back on the couch often in conversations, it allows for much longer sessions.

absolutely, if you were to combine a great quality wireless headset with a PS5 or even Stadia at a great price (that is actually a big caveat, the price barrier to entry) you would see a bigger rise in takeup. Also they need to figure out motion sickness for more people, I don't experience it at all but know that many do.

11. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I wonder if that will hold true for a game that was "built exclusively for VR".

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

this game is built for VR because of the actions you take with your hands. you can see them pushing things around etc. there is nothing stopping you from holding the controllers while seated.

there's a very cool mod a guy did to his controller for a problem that i'm sure anyone who's played No Man's Sky VR can attest to. He basically made a magnetised knuckle on the arms of his chair - it looks like a great solution.

13. elvis

I think this will be a hard limit for some. We still haven't figured out how to prevent some people get motion sickness riding in vehicles.

The other hidden issue with VR is about 10% of the population can't see in stereo. Whether it's eye alignment or other sight issues, it's something that is masked easily in the modern world. Previously the company I was working for did both 3D film (via polarised glasses) and VR creative content. We had a number of excellent production staff who couldn't work on the stereoscopic components simply because the were entirely unable to see in 3D due to limits with one or both eyes.

But, as much as it sucks for those individuals, it doesn't stop progress in the field. There are plenty of folks who can't play traditional video games either, and while it's great that people try to improve inclusivity, nobody can play everything. That's life.

Is that a problem? I've never played ice hockey, but I've decided it's not for me. I'm certain there's plenty you've written off in life without ever having tried it.

Concentrate on enjoying what you enjoy and sharing it with like-minded people, and worry less about what people who don't like your hobbies think.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

If you had a swivel chair you could.. but I think playing in standing only mode would be better.

I have quite a lot of experience in demonstrating VR and also helping setups for other people.

While some people are simply sensitive to VR motion and other things like it, a lot of the time there are simple explanations

1. Issue with the game not being created for VR correctly.
    2. The game is not maintaining 90 or 120fps
    3. The headset IPD is not correctly configured for the user
    4. The user is using controllers to walk and does not mentally allow themselves to become the character. Basically if the brain isn't expecting you to move somewhere and you do, you will get motion sick.

VR in my opinion requires a lot of knowledge to do correctly, this means its easy to have a bad experience if its not setup correctly.

You are correct, but VR is different, just like certain other real life things are.

VR is near impossible to describe to someone and have someone imagine.

I don't think you'll find a single person out there that said VR was what they imagined.

Now you'll probably find most people will say Ice Hockey is roughly what they imagined.

Some things in life you have to experience for yourself first.

I've demonstrated VR to about 50 people so far, none of them were expecting it to be anything but a video game strapped on their face.

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I've done VR. VR is very cool and something I think everybody should try. I even tried to make myself sick but failed (some crazy vertigo until my brain adapted). This was a challenge I set out explicitly when I tried it, I wanted to be given something that would make me sick

VR is very isolating and anti-social for the most part. When I'm playing something at my PC I'm hard enough to get the attention of since I'm so deep in focus. VR will just layer that on even more. Now with juggling a 3 month old and 8 cats, my only feasible way is to lock myself away to do so undisturbed without potentially injuring something, but that the detriment of helping my wife manage the baby (who already does so full time).

VR is expensive (remedied hopefully in the future at -some- point). I like quality things. Quality VR is expensive. There are many many things that I would put above VR in things I want to throw money at. As cool as it is it's not worth it especially in conjunction with my above factor. It's a matter of value. Same as I could buy a 2080ti right now if I wanted to but I know it's not a thing I will get value out of thus I have 2060.

VR is not for me and will not be for a very long time. Also considering I have the bog standard pile of shame most people seem to have, I don't need more shit sitting there that isn't going to get touched.

Tried pegging?

16. elvis

Sure, I get that. My point to you was more about not letting that get to you. These posts in this thread have you very riled up by what is ultimately just another stupid hobby in a long list of stupid hobbies possible on planet Earth. Speaking as someone with a lot of stupid hobbies, I'm less upset these days when someone doesn't like mine, and that's resulted in a lot less stress for me.

I mean, if it makes you feel complete to show this stuff to others, that's cool (genuinely). But also, it's OK sometimes just to enjoy your own thing and let others be ignorant to it.

I've had game nights at my place where loads of people rock up and get a huge nostalgia kick out of my games collection. But nobody's racing out the next day and buying their own setup. And that's perfectly OK. I enjoyed the time friends took me out on a lake to show me water skiing, but I'm not racing out to buy a boat and skis either.

I find this too. I'm already in a world where my hobbies are criticised for "ignoring others". I think VR has a tough road ahead as it's even deeper into this "issue" as perceived by others, and that will be a big part of overcoming problems of mass adoption.

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i'm honestly just happy if

a) it sells enough to make it viable.
    b) those sales mean AAA grade experiences are viable both from a HW and SW POV.

Hell if it was mass market it'd end up full of shovelware and fuck that shit.

TLDR I want it to be big but don't expect or want it to be mainstream.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Fair point, I don't mind if people dislike VR, but it does get me riled up when people dislike and say something bad about something they haven't tried.

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i feel like this about the 3DS, truth is some people just want to watch low bitrate stretched 4:3 on an overly saturated motionflow tv.

bart5986 likes this.
  20. elvis

As a Linux-using CrossFitting retro gamer, I have no idea what this feels like.

I've learned to walk straight out of houses that have TVs set up incorrectly to avoid the bile build up.

bart5986 likes this.