hang-on filter: why should I choose this type?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by ryooma, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ryooma

ryooma (Banned or Deleted)

I've been looking at filter and there are several types it seems. canister = quality = top $$$. submersible power filter seems incapable of proper filtering. BUT hang-on filters seems the happy medium between cost vs filtering.

I searched the net but came up empty on hang-on filters. Also most of the search results were product links to online shops.

Thank you

2. pugsley

pugsley Member

I like hang on filters for smaller tanks as they free up room in the tank. But i think for a 4ft tank hang ons just wont give enough water circulation to pick up debris from the bottom of the tank (Although if i'm wrong, someone please correct me. My knowledge of hang on filters is restricted to smaller models)

I would go for an external canister. It may be a more expensive option but results would be much better. Something like a Eheim Classic 2215 or a Fluval 305 would do the job nicely i think.

3. ricko2169

ricko2169 Member

I agree with pugsley, although a hang on backed up by an undergravel filter using a good powerhead may work out well and stay within your budget.

4. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

OP one thing to never skimp on with fish tanks is the filter. As Pus said get a good cannister.

5. OP
    OP
    ryooma

I'm thinking of the fluval 305. wife won't be happy! :(

6. malignau

malignau Member

If you purchase a good canister, its worth buying them online. There are a few retailers i've purchased off that sell them for a lot less than in store, even with the added postage cost.

Fluvals and eheims are both good canisters, i think its a worthy investment for the health of your tank and its inhabitants.

Hang on filters actually do come in sizes big enough for 4 foot tanks, though i imagine it wouldnt have enough filtering power to suck up all the debris like pugsley said. I havnt had any experience with larg hang on units, i went straight to canister for my 4 ft =]

Submersible power filters do work, they may not be as effective as canisters or hang ons but they do filter. They are a lot cheaper too, so i use them for additional water flow and for additional filtration.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  7. pugsley

pugsley Member

Another option is a top filter.

They are not seen down here so much, i have heard they are popular in Japan. But i run one on my 140L tank and it works well. They are cheap, but you do have to fork out for filter media, but thats only another $30-$40 max. Some bio balls, course and fine filter sponge, ceramic noodles and a sachet or seachem prime is what i have in mine. And my water is crystal clear. A good filter for under $100

It also makes maintenance on the filter a breeze too. Because it sits on top of the tank.

8. warcraft

warcraft Member

Undergravel filter with 2 powerheads is the way to go if your on a budget , once you get some extra cash down the track you can buy an external canister to replace one of the powerheads ( I wouldnt bother ) for a reverse flow undergravel filter set up .

Best place to buy a cannister is The age of aquarium , they will beat any online or bricks and mortar price by 10% plus only charge $7.50 postage ANY ITEM ! http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/ (they dont have them listed but im sure they sell them . )

If you go for a canister filter I would go for the Ehiem 2013 , that would be good for any tank up to 200 liters . (none saltwater )

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. OP
    OP
    ryooma

eheim > fluval (or vice-versa) or doesn't really matter as both are very good filters?

ps. the look of the eheim classic is very attractive though!!! but cleaning it seems not as easy as it doesn't have "basket"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  10. OP
    OP
    ryooma

11. warcraft

warcraft Member

Ive used/use both and you cant go wrong with either ( But i did have an Ehiem filter that lasted 10 years without an impeller change , its still going now :) ) , you dont realy need a basket with a small filter as they are very easy to clean , the canister kinda acts like a basket in its self .

Cant comment on the Elite filters by Hagen as ive nev er used them myself .

12. ricko2169

ricko2169 Member

13. malignau

malignau Member

guppies is another option to get a filter from, but personally i think its worth buying something i can depend on not to break suddenly break down and somewhere i can get spare parts easily.

I havnt had any experience with elite canisters, but i've used their submerged power filters before and i can vouch that they are dependable.

14. japes

japes Member

15. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Very true. I have one, it is ok but I have heard stories about lots of breakages.

16. Urban_Jungle

Urban_Jungle Member

The guppy ones are fine. I have one of the big ones which I fill with carbon. I have three filters. 2 x bio plus the carbon one. I reckon relying on 1 filter no matter how good it is is just asking for it.

17. OP
    OP
    ryooma

do you mean 3 baskets full of filters in 1 canister?

18. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I think he means 3 cannister filters. I agree with him as you can never have too much filtration.

19. BOB_LORDOFEVIL

BOB_LORDOFEVIL Member

I currently have an eheim canister filter and was thinking of installing an undergravel filter too on my new tank, would these work OK together?

20. OP
    OP
    ryooma

unless the flow rate is too much for the fish?