hang-on filter: why should I choose this type?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by ryooma, Nov 11, 2009.

1. pugsley

pugsley Member

Nail on the head i think. Fish need quiet spots to sleep.

2. warcraft

warcraft Member

Nothing a well placed spray bar wont fix , the good thing with 2 cannisters is if one packs it in when your on holiday you dont come home to sick or dead fish :)

Very well .

3. OP
    OP
    ryooma

ryooma (Banned or Deleted)

how does undergravel filter work? I looked at an online shop and all I see is the sponge head. I suppose this connects to a canister?

4. Urban_Jungle

Urban_Jungle Member

Nope 3 seperate filters. 2 x canisters and 1 x sump.

As with the undergravel filter I wouldn't reccommend one if you are going to have a planted tank. The roots will clog it all up. In my tank I use a gentle current which shifts anything that gets to the bottom of the tank into a high flow area which shoots it up towards the intake of my sump. Anything missed gets cleaned up by my bronze and albino cats. Now they are a very cool and industrious fish and do a great job of cleaning up anything that gets to the bottom.

5. Gazob

Gazob Member

I have an eheim 2217 and a fluval 305 on my 6x2x2 FW tank, both rated at around 1000 l/h, the eheim is probably 20% better than the fluval, harder to do a full clean, but easier for a monthly flush of detritius. These 2 filters were not enough flow and I ended up putting an 1800l/h internal filter which is stuffed with filter wool (cushion stuffing from spotlight) and gets changed every 3 days (sometimes a week, but its pretty black at that point). This keeps the water much cleaner, and the fish Angels, Appistos, tetras, cories, BN Cats are okay with the flow.

Infact the internal filter is great when doing weekly maintenance as I have a hose adapter that fits on its outflow, so normally I just change change the filter wool, then attach a small hose to the outflow, and use it to blast all the rubbish that has settled in the gravel into the water column, then attach a longer hose which goes outside to a 200 Litre barrel and drain 100-200 litres of water, then fill the tank and water change done, if im cleaning the cannisters at the same time i just fill a couple of buckets with the hose before putting it in the barrel. By the next day the filter wool has caught 90% of the stuff that was stirred up and can be changed.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. rival81

rival81 Member

You haven't told us the key piece of information... how big is your tank?

2ft = eheim classic 2213

3ft = eheim classic 2215

4ft = eheim classic 2217

Fluval are OK but not as strongly made as eheim in my experience. I run eheims on all my tanks and they've never failed me yet and they are silent from about 1 meter away. Worth the $$. Bought my 2213 from the reef shop and my 2217 from pet city mount gravatt.