Hanoi streets

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by MJS, Nov 6, 2015.

1. MJS

MJS Member

Hi all,

Having been a part time working photographer in a past life, these days I generally only shoot when asked to (rarely), or while on holidays. I recently went to Thailand for a wedding, and spent 5 days in Vietnam also. I could spend weeks walking the old quarters of Hanoi, especially at night it is a street photographers dream ! Shooting street is new to me, comments and critique are welcome.

Side note, this was my first outing with my new setup, Fuji XT1 with 18mm f2, 35mm 1.4 and 55-200mm. The 35mm f1.4 is incredible and was on the camera probably 95% of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. forbaz

forbaz Member

Hi MJS,

Nice shots. Looks like a great place for streetphotog as you mentioned.

My comments would be #1 is the standout for me. Especially with the eye contact from 2-3 of the people in frame and also the interest of the dragon(?) character walking past. Only critique would be the lower part and right side of the frame is a bit cluttered. Not easy to get a clear frame sometimes when shooting street, but maybe repositioning to the left and slightly forward might have improved it, but then you might have lost the umbrellas which work really well too.

#2. Interesting for sure, but bucket is distracting. Colours and tones are great.

#3. Interesting scene. Possibly repositioning so only the yellow shopfront up to the light pole and then girl walking into LHS of frame may have improved. But maybe you didn't have time to shift.

#4. Great. Love the branches making a frame, the evening light, the parked bike and the table. The motion blur is great. Only minor comment (and I know this is not at all easy to get) but would have been bike positioning slightly higher up in frame so is not being clipped by lower edge, and also positioning slightly to right of frame so more negative space in front of the bike. But again these shots are (very) fleeting so overall all good.

Hope these cc are useful. Love the fuji gear and run with the original X100 myself. Great piece of kit. Looks like you had a great time. Any more pics?

Cheers.

3. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Nice light, colours and composition!

Get closer, shoot more faces and less backs :)

4. OP
    OP
    MJS

MJS Member

Thanks for the comments guys, here are a few more from Vietnam, this time from Ha Long Bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]