1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard drive brands

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madchimp, Jul 13, 2008.

?

What brand of HDD is your choice?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2008.
  1. Western digital

77 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Hitachi

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Samsung

28 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Seagate

78 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

:lol:

Sorry, but I had to laugh at that. You trust your data to the cheapest drive...?

2. von.Gunst

von.Gunst Member

Is that funny? He (and indeed I) know that all brands of hard drives are unreliable and likely to fail. That's why the Spaghedeity invented backups.

3. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

i prefer WD but will happily use seagates as well as they're just as good. Samsung are not bad these days either

4. Slyda

Slyda Member

yes, when in raid5

On a site note ive personally had 2 drives die (Seagates) out of my ~20 assorted branded drives, nothing against Seagate as these things happen. But if i wasnt running raid on them my data would have been goneskies

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  5. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

I've had drives of all brands except Samsung - all have had failures, it's just the way it is. So now I do RAID 1, 10 or 5 everywhere and as a result I generally choose Seagate because the warranty is 2y longer than pretty much anything else.

Drive dies? Meh, don't care (within reason) because I'll get a warranty replacement.

6. meeetch

meeetch Member

Samsung for me. I've owned 2 seagates, 1 maxtor and 1 samsung.
    250gig 16mb cache maxtor died in just over a year, 120gig 8mb cache seagate died in just over a year, my other seagate is around 8 months old and is still going well. Though the thing that makes me choose samsung is that i have had my case wide open with no panels on and i cant hear, AT ALL, the samsung (1tb 32mb cache) regardless of how highly loaded it is. The seagate on the other hand is noisy as hell. Not only that, the samsung performs better.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  7. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

Amen brother, use Samsung for the same reason. HDD details in my sig. will be replacing them all with 1tb models when everything fills up. Can't beat the price/performance/quietness of Samsungs. My second choice would be a tossup between WD and Seagate. Won't touch Maxtors with a barge pole, Hitachi only in laptops (samsung better choice there, too)

8. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Well, Seagate have the lead by one vote at the mo. :D

I've always found Samsung to be quiet drives.

The main reason I started this thread was to get a better idea on what drives are like these days. I'm in the situation where I need to start (seriously) considering replacing my aging WD 250GB Sata's. Two of them are now getting VERY close to the end of their warranty.

So, as a result, I'm also upsizing at the same time. :D I'm replacing one 250GB with two 500's in RAID, the other will get replaced by two 1TB's in RAID. Going from two drives to four, I'd prefer the Samsungs for their quietness, but I also want Seagates speed :) I might end up going for both. Two seagate 500's and two Samsung 1TB's :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  9. stablez

stablez Member

Are the WD 150gb raptor see thru water proof or just for looks. cause this security gaurd at my clinic reckons> Hopw newby dumbness:)

10. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Just for looks I'd say. Tell him, if they were water proof, what about the power plug on the back of the drives...? And the exposed circuit board that has power running through it...? :rolleyes:

11. BlackTigerTech

BlackTigerTech (Banned or Deleted)

Dustproof...Yes
    Waterproof...Maybe not!

I don't see a reason for them to waterproof the hdd when the rest of it, as said before, cannot touch the water due to exposed circuitry!:)

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Just for looks, all hard drives have a connection to the external environment and pressure occurs through a small hole in the enclosure (about 0.5 mm in diameter), usually with a carbon filter on the inside (the breather filter), so not exactly waterproof :lol:

13. terminator69

terminator69 Member

This poll result makes me feel really confident about my recent purchase of a Hitachi 2.5". :Paranoid::Paranoid:

14. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

i would not worry about it too much

as has been said before most drive failures are random and not related to brand

however i still like seagate because of there good warranty and service and samsung because of there price / performance / low power useage and noise level

15. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

People tend to bash Maxtor drives, but I'll tell you what... my current 160GB Maxtor has been the best drive that I've ever owned. It's faster than my WD system drive and runs a whole 4 degrees cooler!

IMO, you'll have good experiences and bad experiences with any brand drive. Just get in the habit of backing up regularly and all is sweet!

16. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

Individual experiences with drives failing are a poor reflection of hard drive reliability on the overall market. You'd need to be exposed to tens of thousands of drives to objectively comment on the reliability of a brand/model. Secondly, it's not the brand of drive that's a problem. The majority of drive failures are limited to specific models and series of drives. Over the years, pretty much every brand has had its share of lemons.

Maxtor DiamondMax series 8, 9 and 10 are a classic example. They had a significantly higher failure rate than most drive models. Being Maxtor's most popular drive, the failure rate (under warranty) was enough to put a dent in Maxtor's profits (or lack thereof). They're the reason Maxtor went down the tubes and the reason Dell cancelled it's contract with Maxtor. Even then, the documented failure rate was only ~5%. However, in the scope of total number of drives sold by Maxtor, that's still a massive number.

I've had drives from a range of brands die and I've also dealt with hard drive warranties for a number of years now but I still don't base my preferences on that. Drive failure rates under warranty are a fair reflection of drive reliability. You can find that sort of data on sites such as warrantyweek. Before Seagate bought Maxtor, Seagate and WD had total recoreded failure rate (under warranty) of about 3%. After Seagate bought Maxtor, their recorded failure rates dramatically increased, but that's not as a result of Seagate drives going to shit.

There's good reason for bashing Maxtor. It's good to hear that your drive is working well, but based on Maxtor's history I wouldn't recommend Maxtor's consumer class drives to anyone.

17. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Maybe my hard drive luck is backward, I dunno. :tongue:

All the geeks always rave on about how good and reliable WDs are. But in the last 2 years I've had 2 WD drives die on me. One of them only a few months old! Replaced under warranty of course.

18. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Like I mentioned earlier, I've only had one drive die on me, and that was the result of a PSU blowing up and taking the WD 250GB Sata with it. Literally had smoke coming from under the circuit board. But in all fairness, I emailed WD and told them what happened, and they replaced it!!! It was still in warranty, but hardly a warranty claim IMHO. So go team WD :lol:

I've started to get more concious of the noise and power usage of my drives, and the Samsung's are looking better and better :) But they would have to be 32mb cache drives. And I may get one 500GB Seagate 32mb cache, as they are faster than Raptors :D Until WD bring out a 32mb cache Raptor.... :drool:

:lol:

19. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

Like I said, individual experiences amount to moot in the overall picture of hard drive reliability. I'm not saying that your Maxtor is going to shit itself. I'm saying that prospective buyers should be aware of Maxtor's track record and that there are better options.

20. Rzeractor

Rzeractor Member

Maxtor drives should actually be alot better built now, considering they are rebranded Seagates...