1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard drive killer in my pc?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Khaos75, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

So I have encountered a problem that I have yet to find a solution for. This is why I have come here. Hours of research on the web and I cannot find anything. Anyways, here goes…

SYSTEM SPECS:

OS- WIN10 64bit-(2019)

CPU- I9-9900K-(2019)

GPU- EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 SC-(2017)

MOBO- MSI Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON-(2019)

RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200mhz (16X2)32 - (2019)

PSU- EVGA SUPERNOVA 100W G2 GOLD-(2013)

CPU COOLING- EVGA CLC 280-(2018)

HDD’S;

Original drives

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB (BOOT)-(2014)

SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB (GAME LIBRARY) (DEAD)-(2018)

SAMSUNG 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (GAME LIBRARY)-(2019)

SEAGATE 4TB SSHD SATA (DEAD)-(2014)

SEAGATE 2 TB SSHD SATA (DEAD)-(2013)

New drives

SEAGATE FIRE CUDA SSHD 2TB 7200RPM (DEAD)-(2019)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB 5400RPM (DEAD)-(2019)

Items listed dead will not “power on”. I’ve now used 6 workstations/desktops.

The issue.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed that my original 2 TB SSHD wasn’t loaded in the “my computer” location. I opened my case and verified that all my connections were nice and snug. Everything checked out. I booted and checked again. SSHD was still not showing up. I powered down the system and switched the cables from a different drive and the one that I was looking for showed up. Only problem was that now the other disk I switched cables with disappeared. I did the old switch a roo again and boom! I only showed my boot disk, optical disk, and my m.2. The 4tb 2tb and 1tb SSD didn’t show up in disk manager or bios. Bios stating for respective ports, SATA “Not present”. Trouble shooting with different cables I could not get those drives to come back at all. I called MSI and they mentioned a population rule with SATA while using an M.2 slot. I verified where my M.2 was. I can utilize all 6 SATA ports. MSI had me flash the Bios. Still nothing. Then finally said we need to RMA the board for possible SATA controller failure. I explained to them that my boot drive will still boot normally in every single port.

That weekend I pulled out the board to get it ready to ship and threw my old board and CPU in so I had something in the meantime. (MSI g45 z87 gaming, I5-4670k) when I booted the computer up those same drives did not show up. So now I’m thinking, well at least it’s not the MOBO. Feeling worried I ran all 3 drives to best buy and they said they couldn’t get them to power on. So, I bought 2 new SSHD’s on Newegg and talked to Samsung about RMA on my SSD. I received my 2 new SSHD’s (Seagate) today (march 23 2019) and plugged them in. booted up the computer and nothing again. They don’t show up in bios or disk manager. My 250 GB boot drive is on the same SATA pigtail for power and will boot to windows with no issue in any SATA port I put it into on the MOBO. M.2 has remained stable as well. So after I couldn’t get these 2 brand new drives to load I went to my cousin’s house to see if they would power on with his equipment. Nothing with SATA or a hot swap bay. Something in my system is killing my hard drives. And I can’t, for the life of me figure it out.

Somehow through all of this my boot drive and M.2 are surviving.

So for all the testing I do for getting this figured out is going to require me to sacrifice a hard drive every time I boot until I figure it out?

Anyone ever hear or experience anything like this?

I have a new PSU and a similar inexpensive HDD coming in 3/26/19 to see if maybe my PSU is the culprit. though my voltages seem to be in operating range.

any help or tips appreciated!

waveform likes this.
  2. power

power Member

PSU is my first thought. also do you mean 1000w?

waveform likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

Yes. I did mean 1000w

4. waveform

waveform Member

I hope you get this resolved Khaos75, this really crazy.
    @ power, Do you think It's possible that a regulator on the motherboard which controls the power to the SATA headers could also cause something like this?
    @ Khaos75, At one point you tried moving the active drive with the OS to the other slots and it worked right? I'm not sure why the drive with your OS would not have fried out also.

5. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

waveform yeah i can boot to windows with my OS drive in every sata port but for some reason if i plug any other drive in now they die before the pc even makes it to windows.

6. power

power Member

could be, i've only personally seen psu's and power spikes take out drives with that kind of regularity - also a 6yo psu wouldn't be on my hitlist without a doubt.

have you taken the PSU apart and checked for popped caps or anything OP?

7. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

power no i have not taken it apart. i can check that out tomorrow when i rip this thing apart again. not really sure what id be looking for though.

8. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

So i just swapped out my PSU to an EVGA 1000w platinum P2 and still the same thing. plugged in a new drive and its nowhere to be found. when i set it up i only had power hooked up to it and the disk didnt even spin up from what i could tell. still have the 250gb Os drive and M.2 with no issues.

9. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

i just restarted my PC and now my optical disk isnt working. it just never seems to end haha

10. power

power Member

do these devices work in another machine!?

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Time to ditch everything in the trash and start new, new case, new PSU, new mobo etc.

unless you don't value your data and happy for it to keep killing things.

12. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

as far as the hard drives they dont work in another machine. all the other hardware does. A new Machine? i rebuilt my computer in january. the only thing i didnt replace was the 1.5yr old GPU and the case.

13. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

cvidler do you think the case could have something to do with it? its 5 years old. this is the 2nd build in this case.

14. power

power Member

unless you are shorting something it won't be but worth running everything up out of the case and seeing how it goes.

likely culprits for shorting are usually usb headers.

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

As power says, if there's a short in the case it'll be causing issues. usually there's more symptoms too, it won't boot properly, or randomly shut down, not just kill drives.

maybe one of the mobo standoffs isn't in the right place, or you've trapped a power wire somewhere etc. running it out of the case (put the mobo on something like cardboard - non-conductive).
    unlikely the only symptom in this case would be killing drives.

turf all your SATA cables, buy new ones. if you are using any SATA power adapters (i.e. splitters, anything that's not supplied with the PSU) ditch them, if the PSU has modular cables, ditch the ones you're using, try another set. I'd also try a new PSU, yours is now the oldest part of the system (and thus most likely to not be 100% right).

typically if it was a power issue, you'd have obvious damage to the drives (burnt/melted connectors), bad SATA data connectors will be less obvious.

16. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

I put the new PSU in about an hour ago. Powers up fine no read on hdd’s. Computer just shut off and I couldn’t get it to power back up. I’m stripping the case and putting my old board in right now to see if I just lost my new board. When it rains it pours.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

that sounds more like a short somewhere in the case.

build it outside the case to be sure.

18. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Yeah. Pull from case. Plug in on cardboard box.

Also, wouldn't hurt to grab a multimeter and check the 5v rail isn't high. Could be a dud PSU.

19. OP
    OP
    Khaos75

Khaos75 Member

so i stripped the case and installed some older components (MSI z87 g45 gaming, I54670k, corsair vengeance ddr3 1600mhz ram). while i had everything out i went through all the wiring for the case etc. the new Mobo will not power on, as if its dead i guess. as of right now the system (with older parts) is stable, though i dont have a hard drive to test with now. i have a buddy that just picked up my drives to see if he could get them to read on one of his systems.I called MSI for the third time and they said they were going to test the board and replace it if necessary. im looking at a max of 30 day turnaround for the board. in the meantime i will be looking for another inexpensive sata HDD to test on this mother board. my boot disc SSD is still running fine through all of this.

20. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member