1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Drive RMAs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by MoJoMaN, Jan 16, 2003.

1. MoJoMaN

MoJoMaN Member

If you have a faulty hard drive you have three options:

Warranty through the shop you purchased it from.
    Warranty through the distributor/importer.
    Warranty through the manufacturer.

Seagate

Online Warranty Check:
    http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-US/warranty_validation.jsp
    Send faulty drive to UPS NSW.

Western Digital
    http://wdsupport.wdc.com/warranty/warrantycheck.asp?custtype=end
    Send faulty drive to Singapore

Hitachi
    Online warranty check:
    http://www.hgst.com/portal/site/en/support/warranty/
    Or try ringing 1800-001-685 and have your hardware serial number ready.
    Hitachi Hard Drive Support: http://www.hgst.com/support/contact-hdd-support

Samsung
    Contact Seagate
    http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/samsungharddrivereturn/

Toshiba

Online warranty checker.https://myapps.taec.toshiba.com/myapps/admin/jsp/webrma/addRequest1NoLogin.jsp?Action=NEW
    Or try:
    Australia - Eternal Asia (Australia) Pty Ltd
    Unit 49 11-21 Underwood Rd Homebush 2140.
    Ph. 02 80682969
    Or warranty through the shop you purchased it from.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. Andypoo

Andypoo Moomber

IBM are no longer providing any hard drive support through their site.

If you own an IBM drive and need support/service, you may wish to try Hitachi's site here:

http://www.hgst.com/support/index.html

Andrew.

3. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

here is a link that possibly might be useful for RMAing samsung drives
    SAMSUNG

4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Maxtor/Quantum Hard Drives get sent to Singapore. From experience there RMA service is excellent and if you have a Credit Card, you can do an Advance Replacement. What this means is that they will send you a replacement drive in advance by courier and then all you have to do is send it back (Aus Post is OK) using their packaging within 30 days or else they'll charge you.

I've done this a couple of times and it's been great. Only problem I've ever had with Maxtor was I once received a faulty replacement drive for a 6.4GB Hard Drive I sent away. It had 1MB of bad sectors. I notified them and they quickly sent a replacement drive upgraded to 10GB and 7,200RPM for the trouble. Great work.

5. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Fujitsu RMA A-OK

Quick note.

The fujitsu RMA is not handled by fujitsu corp anymore, they have contracted it out the the RMA details are still on their web site.

I sent back a 7200RPM 30 gig drive that formated but did not stay good... I was worried because fujitsu does not make IDE 3.5inch HDDs anymore. No worries though, replacement drive (manufactured in 2001) arrived within the week (posted newcastle to syndey and back) now that is speedy service!

Must confess I have not plugged the replacement in yet...

Edit: I have now and it is perfect :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2003
  6. bratley

bratley Member

Seagates go to Singapore

I just RMA'd a 2.5yr old 10Gb Seagate disc.
    I got an RMA # off their WWW site and followed the packing instructions.
    A couple of points of note:
    UPS look after the shipping
    to SINGAPORE. Their freight distribution centre was close to where I work. They are in Botany. I'm not sure how you get it to Botany if your not close by.

They need a copy of the RMA document even though the RMA # is on the box with the shipping address.

I went to a lot of trouble to ensure it was packaged in accordance with the Seagate instructions. The guy promptly undid all my packaging to make sure there was a HDD in the box.

It takes about 2 weeks till you get a drive back. He gave me a 1800 # to check the progress but said "Don't even think about ringing in the next 10 days"

I expected to pay for the freight - he didn't ask for any $$ ( I didn't offer). I assume they will bill me.

7. DrunkBorg

DrunkBorg (Banned or Deleted)

sweet - i need my QF 30gb replaced

8. Nevac

Nevac Member

How long does it usually take for a Hard Drive to return from RMA? Just lately I've sent my Seagate BaraIV 80GB back 3 weeks ago and I've been calling the shop every week to find out and they have no idea.

9. bonezed

bonezed Member

WD rma

guys, in my experience its best to go direct to the importer/distributor (maybe because I work for one of them?) to get rma.

edit: I no longer work for distie, no more pm's thx

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  10. VooDoo

VooDoo Large Member

even at retail stores we often go direct as its faster than most distributors

11. kr0k

kr0k Member

i sent back my IBM deathstar 45gb to hitachi...
    i hear from a friend who recently sent theirs back (same drive capacity too) that its about a 3 week wait from the date its recieved. The site states that if its in stock, itll take 14 working days (this translates to roughly 3 weeks if there's 5 working days in a week). That being said, he recieved the drive 2 days later after it was dispatched and he got a shiny new 60GB drive. Hope i get one too... thou given the ridiculous number of hd's i already own, it wouldnt make much of a difference lol

Whats your experience been with IBM Deathstars RMA's ?

12. ransico

ransico Member

I sent my maxtor away for RMA in malaysia, took two weeks from when I sent it off, and it works fine now :)

Although 1 bad point is, that I cant understand a word the chick on the phone says :p

13. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

Seagate have a melbourne postal address you can send to. It just c/o UPS in melb, details should be on RMA form...I have sent 2 drives back seperatly and they take about 2 weeks all up.

14. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

15. Sall

Sall Member

Heya,

Hrmm.... I'm thinking this is the topic to post under. (this is my first post, so sorry if it's the wrong area. :-D )

I've had a bit of a bad incident with an IBM drive recently. Namely, I took it into my reseller, who did the usual spiel, packed it up, and said about 6 weeks. 9 weeks later (yesterday) I got a call from them - it was rejected - it supposedly had a dent in it. Now, the guy I was talking to was really nice about the whole thing - he said that the dent was pretty tiny, and that it was barely visible - you had to have the light at the right angle, etc...

So yeah, it seems a pretty dodge way to cop out of a warranty - so what I'm asking is - in short, what are my chances here? or what else can I do? am I screwed? 'cos that sucks - IBM drives have given me nothing but grief for the last 2 years.

Well, thanks for your time everyone,

Cheers,

Michael

16. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

Have you got the drive back yet?

My 60Gb Barracuda IV took 10 working days to be sent repaired and sent back :)

I got a very nice turn around I thought ;)

17. kr0k

kr0k Member

My IBM took 3 weeks from date sent to date recieved.
    Sent on the 28th, recieved on the 21st of the following month.

18. Unregisturd

Unregisturd Member

Took about 2-3 weeks for an IDE drive (Deskstar 40GB) to be returned from Hitachi Singapore, and a full month for a SCSI drive (Ultrastar 18GB, replaced with a 36GB).

19. kr0k

kr0k Member

well got mine back about 3 weeks later, replaced the 45 with a nice 60gb, now i only hope its reliable :D

20. Gumball

Gumball Member

Doh, I just received my replacement hardrives from IBM/Hitachi in Singapore. They sent me "2 servicable used parts". One is a 45gb 75gxp. As if I would use either of them. A waste of money sending them back. Live and learn. Into the bin they go:(