Hard Drive RMAs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by MoJoMaN, Jan 16, 2003.

1. OP
    OP
    MoJoMaN

MoJoMaN Member

Whilst it's all personal preference.........

I've only had good experience/luck with Hitachi.

Give Toshiba a go, they're actually Hitachi drives with a Toshiba sticker on them at a lot better price.

2. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

I've pretty much found that there is no such thing as a reliable HDD anymore (other than maybe enterprise/server HDDs). Seagate and WD are both pretty average, while Toshiba and Hitachi are absolutely horrible.

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That sucks. Time to RMA it again.

Hitachi/Toshiba?

Have you thought about paying a little extra from a B&M store so you can make the HDD failures their problem?
    $10 extra per drive at purchase to save return postage of $25-35 seems like a good deal to me.

4. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

Had my first ever ssd die, was a Samsung 120gb. After huge issues trying to register the bastard on the Samsung site the past week I finally managed to get a rep to manually check, and warranty ended 10 days ago... Fml

5. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Was purchased from a B&M store, drive was a replacement for a replacement. So purchased a drive (moved interstate), it lasted 18months, rma'd drive lasted 18 months. New RMA drive is stuffed. Considering the initial warranty was 3 years, which is well and truly passed and the new RMA only has a limited warranty i highly doubt any B&M store would take it.

At this point i wont bother sending it back, i sent 2 drives in one had a month or 2 left on the 3 year warranty the other was out of warranty by about 2 months. Since that drive was already a replacement i kicked up a massive stink and they accepted it for RMA and sent a courier out to collect them so this RMA has only cost me the time spent in back and forth emails with WD. I basically told them i wasnt going to bother with an RMA unless they took the out of warranty replacement and covered shipping, and if they said no then i certainly would not be purchasing another WD product again. I had already decided that anyway and this WD Black they sent me as a replacement for the Green has cemented that decision. As for the WD Green refurb that got sent with the Black i gave that to my brother and said use at your own risk and don't keep anything important on it.

I have 2 Seagate NAS drives running 24x7 in a file server that havent had a single problem from around 3 months constant usage, which probably works out to about the same hours of usage as some of the failed WD drives had. As well as another Seagate NAS drive in my normal PC that i just use for storage. Will give these a try, as anything requiring any sort of performance is on an SSD now, and see if they last it couldnt be much worse than my WD experience anyway.

As for the what to try it was more in reference to anything i could try on the WD Black to get it working rather than what drives to try, although i am 99.9% sure it is stuffed since the drive tester picks up bad sectors in the first 10 minutes and the estimated time remaining instantly blows out to about 1200 hours.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

Oops just saw this sticky *facepalm*.

from another thread:
    I've lodged an RMA with WD, as my drive is failing, its more than 12months old but within the 3year WD warranty.

I've packaged up and followed the instructions, i'm just not sure on the postage side of things.

I was going to send via Aus Post Registered for $32.

I'm just confused with the customs part of the RMA document?

What did you do specific to Australia/Aus Post and WD's requirements?

7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

What's 12 months got to do with it?

8. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

A lot of people still seem to think that a stores responsibility ends at 12 months. And a lot of stores still try and tell customers this and tell them to RMA directly.

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

When they do, they're breaking Australian consumer law.

10. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

I know that, but they still do it, and people still believe what they are told.

11. lee890

lee890 Member

I posted this is another thread just now, but I thought it may be helpful to post this here.

If you're RMA-ing a WD drive, you can get free shipping if submit RMA via the phone.

I did 2 RMA's for 2 different WD Hard drives last year, at different times of the year - 1 internal, and 1 external.

If you call WD directly and submit RMA over the phone, they will organise FedEx to come pick up the hard drive and have it couriered back.. FREE! You'll still have to pack it properly yourself ready for shipment of course.

There's no option to arrange free shipping via the online RMA process so you're going to need to call up. I didn't even need to ask for it, they just asked me which address I wanted faulty HDD to picked up from and where the replacement one to be delivered to.

I only did twice and it worked for me, so feel free to post back to let others know if you couldn't get free shipping after you called WD to submit RMA

12. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That's one heck of a tip!
    Thanks for the info.

13. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

Yes, as mine was 18months i didn't think i'd have much luck/bothered fighting the fight.

Lesson learned. What would i have used as my argument for the next person searching and in a similar spot? That it's still under manufacturers warranty the merchant is still responsible? Expected performance based on price?

14. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

Legend. I rang WD 1800-429 861 quoted my already raised RMA. Mentioned the fed ex pickup "that a friend had mentioned after i raised my postal RMA". He said sure, put my on hold. Came back to me, said expect an email from fed ex to organise pick up in a day or so. 7 min call. :)

Next time i will argue my case with the merchant, but i don't need the drive right now. So I can wait on replacement.

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Pretty much - the mfgr sets the warranty period and its illegal for the retailer to waive/deny their responsibility for that entire warranty period.

IIRC, the ACCC levied a whopping great fine against MSY for doing this in 2011?

16. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

Ok so i saw this, means that it can be even outside of the manufacturers warranty if deemed major:

You can ask for a replacement or refund if the problem with the product is major.

Replaced products must be of an identical type to the product originally supplied. Refunds should be the same amount you have already paid, provided in the same form as your original payment.

The business may take into account how much time has passed since you bought the product considering the following factors:

type of product
    how a consumer is likely to use the product
    the length of time for which it is reasonable for the product to be used
    the amount of use it could reasonably be expected to tolerate before the failure becomes noticeable.

http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

You might have trouble there as hard drives have become so cheap and commoditised that they're are generally considered disposable items.

White goods that die just out of warranty are typical examples of statutory rights overriding manufacturers warranty (IANAL).

18. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

Yeah it would be a case by case basis, $200 for it to last just over a 1/3rd of the Manufacturers warranty i'd imagine would qualify. However the more expensive the greater your chances to push for reasonably expected to perform over a timeframe.

19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

No, it should last the entire manufacturers warranty. Those clauses give consumers a little (or a lot, depending on the product) of wriggle room for things that die 1 week after warranty expires.

20. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

Sorry, i was being a bit facetious with "imagine" and some merchants that i'd had trouble with in the past.

You are truly right on this from what i now know.