Hard Drive RMAs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by MoJoMaN, Jan 16, 2003.

1. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

So in the end, i get a 4tb red back when i sent a 3tb :S

2. aokman

aokman Member

For anyone who has pulled drives out of external enclosures, be careful with the Seagate ones. I was just going to RMA my 4 x 4TB drives that failed and all of them are now listed as OEM and cant be returned :rolleyes: they had valid warranty up till last month according to the website.

Decided ill blow them up, take a shit on them and post them back to Seagate :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  3. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

I sent in a hitachi coolspin to RMA and just received the replacement today. Sticker on the foil wrapper and on the hard drive label has March 2014 on it. When I look at the smart info using crystal disk info the power on hours is 0 and the power on count is 1. What are the chances I got a new drive? The label on the hard drive mentions Hitachi refurbishment but the power on hours don't add up unless Hitachi resets the power on hours... Do they do this?

4. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

They likely just install virgin firmware with all numbers set to those of a new drive.

5. crag_v

crag_v Member

My opinion rather than knowledge: a SMART reset may be necessary with a refurbished drive because, depending on what problem has been addressed during the refurb process, the SMART data on a repaired drive's board may then be inaccurate and could even cause issues. In many cases, the Power On Count and P.O. Hours would be zeroed as a consequence of this reset (not always). It does make sense for the manufacturer to do this, because the older SMART data would be kinda meaningless after a repair as it pertains to a different drive state and often even different components. Short answer, I don't think you've got a new drive. I also don't know that you'd have any way of knowing how old it is or what was repaired - in many cases the repair could simply have been amending a firmware or control board issue - but I understand that sometimes a head is disabled and the capacity dropped to a small model in the same family, etc. I've certainly seen this with WD drives and would expect the same from other manufacturers. Makes economic sense to do if getting a refurb during the warranty period is generally accepted by your customers!

FYI, you can sometimes reset SMART data yourself with free software tools (example; untested, YMMV). Not recommended, more just a point of interest given we're discussing it.

6. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

That makes sense to reset the smart data so the information is applicable to the fixed drive and not when it was broken.

I checked the label on the hard drive again and noticed they sent me back a coolspin. I'm glad they havent sent me an 'upgraded' drive because i wouldnt be able to reuse it in my server.

7. death

death Member

i just had 2 toshiba drives with problems (started with problems in dec 13)
    Bought drives from same place oct 12
    Sent an email to where i bought the drives and they said one of the serials is not on thier system they are confirming with the supplier tomorrow

I spoke with HGST directly and they say that the drives are toshibas responsibility.

Rang toshiba and they couldnt put me through to warranty department that deals with desktop HDDs

I know there was a supplier that started with m that was offering 3 year warranty on toshibas

Does anyone know the name of the supplier?

I will wait till they get back to me

8. ae00711

ae00711 Member

Mittoni I think

9. death

death Member

I ended up going through the vendor I bought it from. Will update you on the outcome.
    So far the vendor was very quick to respond to emails and updated me when they arrived, confirmed delivery address etc..

anyone else RMA a toshie?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  10. Diode

Diode Member

Thanks for the tip! Having to pay postage to replace something under warranty is something I'm against and whilst retail stores have to do it for you for free I got my drive from MSY, so chances are it will probably be mishandled.

My HDD is in the process of dying, it's not fully dead. the SMART scan doesn't show any fault however the drive disappears from the BIOS and it starts to make a "zzzzzrrrr" sound as it spools down and then fires up again. I'm able to currently overcome this by tilting the drive on its side.

Considering WD pay for the shipping and all I guess I don't have much to lose.

11. fido666

fido666 Member

I'm about to RMA a couple of Hitachi 2TB Coolspins. Have never returned a Hitachi drive before so wondering how long they normally take? I'm doing it via the retailer but they are normally prompt about sending off RMAs. I'm not too keen on putting refurbs back in my NAS box though, might need to buy some new ones to replace them.

12. Diode

Diode Member

I found the return process a little tricky. Especially when it came to filling out the customs invoice. Though it took me some time to acquire little bits and pieces of packaging that were acceptable. The anti static bag and then enough bubble wrap and then things to pack around the drive. Their instructions were quite particular on what was and was not acceptable packaging.
    Ofcourse I was being as stingy as I could and got all the bits for free, but it's not like at our work we have spare HDD boxes lying around to repack HDD's.

So some heads up for anyone wanting to do it themselves and not take it to the shop.

13. Diode

Diode Member

Well I got a new drive back within 9 business days of shipping it, so I'm happy about that! It was really impressive to track how quickly Fedex moves the thing. They picked it up at like 3pm in the Melbourne CBD after I called them to pick it up only 20 minutes prior. lol. By 10am the following day it was delivered to WD repair place in Malaysia.
    If our customs checking wasn't so thorough it would have probably been 7 business days. :p

14. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Wanting to import Toshiba or Seagate USB disks (sigh, why do the externals have to be goddamned cheaper?) but want something where if I crack the case, it retains the 3 year physical disk warranty.

Any of these still do it? I've heard Seagate it's no longer a goer, I think WDC the same, Toshiba any luck?

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Lol, nobody has ever done it. Getting warranty on a cracked external HDD is pure dumb fraudulent luck.

16. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

They have because I've returned many a disk before to Seagate years ago, also you may call it fraudulent but they are 2 completely different physical items. The disk inside them is simply a hard drive off the assembly line. Crashed heads 18 months after pulling it from a caddy has nothing to do with it being removed from the caddy.

Thanks for your awful post though.

17. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

So I have a 2TB Hitachi and a 2TB Seagate to go back, both are going to UPS Supply Chain Solutions in Botany.

I have two RMA numbers, but can I send them in the same box, with both labels attached?

18. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I'm dealing with one at the moment, sending 3x3TB WD's to Malaysia.
    FIFTY FIVE GODDAMN DOLLARS for 2.13kg to Malaysia.
    Ouch, just ouch - seriously.

As much as I avoid Seagate, at least they had that NSW drop off point you could mail them to who would take ownership of the problem :/ damn that's expensive shipping and to my knowledge WD sure as heck aint' gonna reimburse me for it.
    (and I haven't had a "free" size upgrade on a faulty HDD in a long time either ... :( )

19. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Call WD for them to send out a courier for free...

20. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Oh bugger, ok thanks for that info.
    Any way to do it all online, then just call up for the Fedex part? because damnnnn I hate doing phone calls.

Also I assume you mean WDC Au phone number? :/
    Which one - for future ref.