Hard Drive RMAs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by MoJoMaN, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

$55 of hate? :confused:

2. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I haven't done it myself, but yeah the AU number: 1-800-429-861

http://support.wdc.com/country/country.asp?c=australia

3. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Fair call fair call - but seriously - have you ever dealt with a standard helpdesk / service centre for hardware faults? Do I want a 93 minute wait, 27 minutes explaining the problem and then a .....77% chance they screw it up? Online, if you know your stuff (and I'm sure we all do here) - logging jobs yourself is 10x easier.
    Hence, log online, request the shipping parcel via phone :)

4. Diode

Diode Member

I found the WD phone process pretty quick. You will have to pack it properly though which they will send you the guidelines on how to do it all.

They use Fedex so it's pretty quick to get there and getting it delivered. I had it back to me within 7 working days.

5. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Well I took the gamble and posted the hard drives in the same box with both labels attached. Now the waiting game begins. :Paranoid:

6. death

death Member

just an update. I did receive 2 new refurbs back from the vendor.
    just had to pay postage both ways as it was after 1 year period

7. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Errr which vendor, so we know to ignore in future.

8. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Expressed the hard drives off, with both RMA numbers attached, and they were received and processed the next day. Looking forward to having some space again. :thumbup:

9. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Anyone dealt with Toshiba in Australia? I got 6x5TB's about 8 weeks back and one has died already (bad sectors) It's in a NAS and I kind of would like semi-reasonable turnaround times. I doubt the Melbourne supplier will honour an on the spot and swap warranty (who the hell does .... besides places like H.N, Dick Smith, KMart for stuff?)

I could call the place (TECS in Melbourne) but figure it's a waste of time knowing most mid size Aussie stores.

Oh yeah, any way to get it done without an out of pocket expense, I spent fifty goddamn dollars mailing my WD's back to Malaysia, Australia post are thieves.

10. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

... You're not willing to make a single phone call because you think you already know the answer? There have been numerous instances of members returning products and having them swapped on the spot. (Ratz has done it numerous times).

11. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I'll give it a shot, but I've been buying PC parts for literally 23 years in Melbourne, I could probably count on one hand the instances of good services with an instant swap from a small to mid retailer. It's worth me asking regardless how others have fared with Toshiba, I'm not looking forward to not dealing with my regulars (WDC / Seagate)

12. rowan194

rowan194 Member

You never know. I've been surprised even by stubborn behemoths such as MSY, who a couple of times changed HDs over, even though the original purchase was a few months prior. The policy does seem to vary store to store though.

Now that consumer laws have been tightened up it should be a lot easier to assert your position. Major failure? Repair, replace, refund. You get to choose.

(I had a GFX card literally spit out hot sparks, got a full refund even though it was about 6 months old by then. That's a major failure.)

BTW... TECS still exists? I'm old enough to remember when TECS stood for The Electronic Components Shop. :D

13. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Just an update since it's fair, TECS in Melbourne did an over the counter swap, so I'm surprised and pleased. Now to see if I can put it in my FreeNAS box and not lose my array (unlikely!)

14. JoolzD

JoolzD Member

I had a Western Digital 1.5tb portable that was dead. I did the RMA application online, and once I had the RMA number, I called Western Digitals Australian number, 1800429861, and asked politely for them to pick it up for me. The guy on the phone immediately said yes, asked for the RMA number, and said Fedex would be in touch. That was the easy part.

Fedex were a bit of a pain to deal with, but 3 weeks later I have a new 2TB portable in my hands. Nice work Western Digital!

15. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

Is there a warranty checker for Toshiba? I just got a MD04ACA500 to replace a failing drive in my NAS and was curious on its warranty status.

16. OP
    OP
    MoJoMaN

MoJoMaN Member

I've just had a Toshiba 3TB drive die on me.

I tried this checker but it just told me to take it back to the retailer. (Umart)

https://myapps.taec.toshiba.com/myapps/admin/jsp/webrma/addRequest1NoLogin.jsp?Action=NEW

Pretty sure they have 3a year warranty, although Umart told me it was 2 years.

17. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

Thanks for that. It gives me a July 2019 expiry. That's a long "3-year" warranty :)

18. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

NOTE: They covered the second dead disk, easily too. I was quite wrong about them.
    Not wrong about 7200rpm disks though, they are the devil, awful things.

19. ae00711

ae00711 Member

where are ppl sending seagate HDDs now-a-days? I have a almost dead 2.5" momentus here.. no idea which retailer/etailer it is from :/

20. ironpaw

ironpaw Member

RMA it via the Seagate website and it'll create a postage sticker/printout for you. It'll be going to Sydney.