1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Drive RMAs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by MoJoMaN, Jan 16, 2003.

1. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Sending back a WD 2TB Black. Started the RMA online, packaged it up, then called WD Support on 1800 429 861 to arrange courier pickup. Easy and free. :thumbup:

2. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Let me clarify, you can create the RMA online, then call a local number for pickup?
    Does this look like the correct URL, or close to it?
    https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/ind/id_warrantycheck

Cause last I recall, if you do it online, they expect you to mail it unfortunately.

3. JoolzD

JoolzD Member

4. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Yeah, I created the RMA online then called them and asked for a courier pickup. My replacement arrived Monday.

5. dipsal

dipsal Member

Gosh, you guys have no idea how much of a lifesaver this thread has been. I've been putting off my WD Blue 1TB RMA for ages (dying drive, bad sectors, slow as a snail) because I would be left without a drive for a long time (bought from Umart, they want me to give it to them to check and would get replacement if found faulty).

But, with the online method I am led to believe that I can simply lodge a claim online, and then call them up to request a courier pickup (free) which should speed up the RMA process up. Then hopefully they will send the replacement drive too :)

Does that sound right?

Cheers everyone, love you all :thumbup:

6. ae00711

ae00711 Member

where to for Hitachi RMA's? :(

7. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Last time I did a Hitachi RMA was a few years back. I only had to pay shipping to send it locally to a Botany, Sydney address. Same as Seagate. Unlike Western digital that make you send it overseas.

8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

http://www.hgst.com/warranty/index_serial.do

I did one earlier in the year. As above, you send it to an address in Botany and the turnaround time is quite quick. From what I understand the address in NSW is just there to receive faulty HDD's as a replacement will be sent to you from overseas. Overall from sending the drive to getting a replacement I think it was less than 2 weeks.

Very impressive service.

9. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

10. ae00711

ae00711 Member

yeah on to it, cheers

of course its rma-able.. its only 6 moths old & I'm 98% sure it has 3 year warranty :thumbup:

11. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

That's what is says, more a question of warning vs actual error. I'll lodge it tomorrow.

I'm running RAID 6 so I'm 50/50 on if I just pull the drive and let it fall back to a single drive of protection for the couple of weeks it will take to get a replacement... or do I buy an extra drive so I have a spare on hand.

Leaning towards the latter.

12. aokman

aokman Member

looks like only reallocated sectors so far, doesn't mean the drives going to die. The Hitachi drives are dam stubborn I have one with 6 sectors reallocated in its first 6 months and its 5 years old now. If you fill the entire drive then it should be good and not have any more accumulate.

Can always RMA though if its exceeded its rating :)

13. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

Do any of the manufacturers require you to register your drives after you buy them/something along those lines?

Just got a bunch of Toshiba drives recently. Do they just count the warranty date based off the HDD manufacture date? How does it work? :confused:

14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

warranty is based of either manufacture date OR *IF* you can prove it, the purchase date

no need to register

15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

You shouldn't need to register a drive.

The start of warranty is based off the last invoice that drive was sold to. From the manufacturer's point of view, they would have records of it's sale to the supplier but no further. So they will go off that date. This is why, for example, if you've ever looked up a Seagate HDD warranty status on their website it will sometimes refer you to Ingram Micro. This is because it's within that period where the warranty has become "extended" because the purchase by Ingram Micro has changed the starting date.

This is why it's important to keep receipts/invoices. If you have an End User Invoice which shows it is still within for example the 3 year warranty, then that will be the start of warranty. Don't go off what the manufacturer website say's if you have proof showing otherwise.

You'll be surprised at how many people do not know this retailers included. I deal with this on almost a daily basis at another supplier.

16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I'm always surprised when I get a drive with a MFG date of six months ago but it happens often enough that invoices (or copies of) are utterly essential if you want the full warranty period.

17. l3git

l3git Member

Just noticed a Sandisk Extreme SSD i have is still under warranty which i was about to bin a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know how sandisk deals with warranty it's a SSD i purchased once via amazon.

18. ae00711

ae00711 Member

anyone know where to go to RMA a Intel SSD? :wired:

19. l3git

l3git Member

so contacted SanDisk, looks like drives we purchase off amazon are covered here.. :leet:

I need to send it to a NSW po box address and getting my Extreme 240GB RMA'ed over to a SanDisk X210 256GB.

20. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Anyone know what hoops I'll have to jump through to RMA a Samsung SSD purchased from Amazon?

It's only 3 months old, definitely under warranty, but from the looks of the RMA form I'll have to get it back to the US first?

EDIT: Pleasingly, the most recent firmware update fixed it. So putting that off turned out well!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016