Hard Drive RMAs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by MoJoMaN, Jan 16, 2003.

1. mike-s

mike-s Member

go to this seagate faq and read through.

Basically do a warranty validation then submit a return claim.

They've tweaked their website around a bit, but the standard used to be you could just send/drop it to a UPS outlet, but now they appear to be pushing the warranty process back onto suppliers, however they do provide an option for direct warranty returns for those whom bought direct/their retailer is being a dick.

2. mtma

mtma Member

About Toshiba branded internal HDD's...

Their site points towards the warranty being honoured by the point of sale. I've seen the cheapest place offering the drive I was thinking of only saying 1 year RTB and other places saying 3 years but pointing to another Toshiba site that doesn't even have product or warranty information about the internal HDD's in them.

Seems dodgy... should I just avoid buying them?

3. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I got a heap of these from Tecs in Melbourne and they are honoring the full warranty duration, for 3 years.

I've had many failures, but my NAS does thrash them and a few got warm early on, so kinda my fault. None the less, despite my initial thoughts that most retailers would screw me, they've been damn good at replacing them.

I'm not a huge fan of that model disk mind you, it's a hot running beast, so I recommend decent cooling.
    Also you can go through a guy in Sydney, I got his email somehow with some googling

4. ae00711

ae00711 Member

no you shouldn't avoid buying.. law dictates that point of sale must honour entire warranty period. What you're seeing is lazy website making.. either that or they are still trying to do a dodgy on the warranty period (MSY was busted doing this back in 2011). Either way, I wouldn't hesitate to buy

5. mtma

mtma Member

Well... I haven't actually found Toshiba semicon (the manufacturer) actually stating what the duration of warranty should be, only some certain regional sales companies saying this and that. Since the point of purchase isn't going to be those overseas sales companies then their statements are not particularly relevant.

So it's what the point of sale claims and 'reasonable expectation'.

6. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

My receipt actually says 3 year warranty as does Toshibas product page.

7. GRP

GRP Member

Seagate 2TB portable RMA. Absolutely hassle free seamless process with replacement drive shipped from Singapore to me in under a week.

No invoice or proof of purchase required - simply entered serial number online and followed the steps.

8. cheesecactus

cheesecactus Member

Great experience with WD. My 4yr old WD black died. I didnt have the receipt. They never even asked for it.

Serial number was all they needed, offered me a fedex pickup (I didnt even have to ask), got a call from fedex a few hours later to arrange a pickup time, next day fedex guy picked it up and off it went.

Not long after i received a refurbished drive back.

Great experience all round.

I should add I never had to call them, was all done online through their standard process.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  9. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

This hasn't been my experience:(

Put my 4tb external serial number in and it stated it was still in warranty. The only information I received to return it was what was stated on their site. I was given packaging instructions and a label to print. $51 Aus dollars and one month after sending to Vietnam it has only arrived now.... Well Auspost says it's delivered but WD RMA status is still showing up "Waiting to receive" It's now been 5 weeks since I sent it!

10. Cthom

Cthom Member

Do have you claimed warranty? How much times does it took to claim and when was your hard drive delivered back to you?

11. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Hey guys,

I've got a few drives that have failed here that seemed to have originated from the US - an Ultrastar 7K3000 (Hitachi) and a WD 4TB Enterprise drive.

Has anyone had any luck or have any tricks/tips for RMA'ing them over here? I could just hang on to them until I travel to the states again but that's a long winded process!

Edit: Turns out, the WD drive can still be sent in from Australia. I had a friend assist with the HGST RMA in taking the drive to the states, performing the RMA and returning the drive.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  12. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I have been procrastinating for ages about getting a nas going and now I hit another snag. One of my 4TB reds was doa so I sent it for warranty and received a recertified drive in return. Just now I opened it for the first time to get crystaldisk data on it and its only showing up as 1.67TB unformatted space .... has anyone seen this before? Is my rma return a dud?

:tired::tired:

13. rowan194

rowan194 Member

Unsure of the 1.67TB thing, but I am curious about why didn't you return a DOA drive to the retailer? If something is broken from the start, you have the right to choose: Repair, Replace, Refund.

What does the BIOS say the capacity is?

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

A few months lol, but its been in the anti-static bag the whole time.

Rowan - used drives bought from various sellers (most on here). Label and crystaldisk sat 4tb, looking up the s/n on WD site says 4tb.

:upset:

15. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Nah I cant, I think I returned it just before it ran out and now it has no warranty left. I just want to know wtf is wrong with it lol

Is it just he or have hard drive life spans dropped rapidly? I have 320-500gb hard drives still going strong yet I have had 2x WD 4TB reds fail, 2x WD green 2TB and a 2TB seagate.

;)

16. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Sounds like the old MBR vs GPT issue, can also happen if you are connecting by USB.

17. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I am connecting via USB just to test the drives but my other 2 work fine (show 4tb capacity).

18. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Sounds like it shouldn't be the USB. Has it been formatted as GPT?

If so I would be connecting it by sata and reformatting and see if that helps.

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

OK I opened up the daily and put the suss 4tb in, its showing 4tb with no issues so Im not sure why the other 2 were fine on the usb but this one didnt like it.

All good now.

:thumbup:

20. Jaco

Jaco Member

Seems the more they pack into them the higher failure rate it'll have, go figure

Over the past 3x months I've been decommissioning drives from ancient servers (250gb-500gb) that have 3500-4000+ days online time and still pass DBaN wipes without trouble

Meanwhile we'd get 1tb mechanicals in from warranty return with bad sectors / doa, or mechanicals in general that just kick the bucket