Hard lock with no BSOD or event viewer log at close to idle conditions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Foliage, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Foliage

Foliage Member

I have the following

Threadripper 1920x
    32gb ram (4x8gb sticks in dual channel)
    Radeon 550
    Gigabyte X399 Aorus
    2x NVME SSD, 970 pro and 980 pro
    NZXT closed loop 280mm radiator sitting at 35c idle 66c after 6 hour cpu-z stress test.
    Neo eco 620w PSU

I'm getting random hard locks with looping audio and frozen screen daily. Usually while web browsing or doing nothing in particular.

I've run the windows memory diagnostic with no errors. I've swapped out 1 stick at a time per week and seen if the crashes are less frequent, 16gb seems to crash every few days, 32gb can be daily but its still fairly random.

I used to run an overclock but I've since reverted to stock clocks with AMD Cool and Quiet disabled so it just permanently sits on 3.4ghz now. I tried up volting at stock clocks as well with no change.

I declocked the memory to 2400mhz (3.2ghz capable).

BIOS is up to date.

I have another old video card I might try swapping in (GTX970) Other than that, how else can I diagnose these hard crashes? It doesn't seem to be stress related as RAM and CPU stress are fine and the crashes seem to occur at close to idle conditions.

2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Oof this is a tough one, when it's hard frozen, the numlock/caps doesn't work yeah? Indicating the interrupt request is froze (true platform hard freeze)

Also, did this idle hard freeze develop with more frequency over time or did it happen ever since the system was put together, this'll help determine if it's a combination incompatibility or a hardware fault with the CPU or the board.

It's worth trying the other gpu but usually bad GPUs will give u artifacts (bad gddr) or bsods. (Like tdss)

Another test to consider is absolute minimum hardware (ram wise, etc) and a spare platter to setup an OS on to see if the idle freeze happens without any m2s in use

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Foliage likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Foliage

Foliage Member

Yes a true hardlock with looping audio and no keyboard response to numlock etc. Have to hold power off to reboot. Nothing in the event log.

Machine was fine for about 3.5 years, started happening with more frequency in the last year. PC was overclocked from 3.4 to 3.8ghz for about 2 years, minor over volt of 1.25v on VCORE. Temps were consistently low in the 40s to mid 60s. Never over 70c. Crash got worse over time, then got better for a few months, then got worse again. As soon as it started crashing I de-clocked everything back to stock.

I just swapped in the GTX 970 and abotu 3 hours later explorer got very very laggy to open files etc. Performance monitor showed very low CPU and Disk usage, no hardware interrupts or anything out of the ordinary, but very laggy explorer still. Restarting explorer didn't fix it. About 20 minutes later I got my first blue screen ever on this pc showingh CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. I was using a performance tracing tool to debug some software which uses CPU counters to debug programs at the time, not sure if this was related to what I was doing software wise or a result of a failure.

Unfortunately the memory dump that was saved is completely missing so I can't analyse it. Found plenty of other dmp files but nothing for the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  4. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

start with memtest but i suspect bad psu or bad connection on mainboard pr bad cpu
    that clock_watchdog_timeout error screams cpu issue to me thou.. could be psu but something hardware wise has gone bad

only way to troubleshoot is fresh install on new hdd with all other hdds removed and try from there - see if you can make it output the same error to rule out driver issues

i suspect it is upgrade time

5. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

We can rule out incompatibility since it's a fault that developed worse over time.

It does sound like it's mobo or CPU specific, but I do suggest you try an OS install on a spare drive to rule out m2 storage as being an issue, while a platter or sata sad may be slow to use it's just to idle test it to see if the hard freeze persists.

Beyond that if/when the freeze persists you'd have to borrow a CPU to try I think, to see if the symptom goes away

6. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

I had a similar hardlocking problem with my 1920X + asus mobo, persisted through multiple fresh windows installs. Can't say exactly what fixed it because i did a full tear down + reseat + replace psu all at once out of frustration but it's good now :p

One other thing that was giving me a little bit of instability was ram voltages - one pair of ram channels was dropping 0.02v periodically so i added a little more to it manually.

7. OP
    OP
    Foliage

Foliage Member

Since putting the GTX970 in I haven't had any hard faults. Only been a few days but it is looking promising so far.

Will keep you guys updated.

Good luck finding another 1920x threadripper to test with, huge chip and not that many people run them. If it got to that stage I'd just build a new PC and part this one out.

qwertylesh likes this.
  8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

So change of gpu has appeared to stabilise idle and the hard lockups haven't reoccurred. That's a good sign your core platform and m2s are ok. I hope the lockups don't reappear, run it for a good while to be confident :)

Can you try the card in question on another system and see if the symptom follows with it?

Foliage likes this.
  9. mrpats

mrpats Member

sorry for the TC but i'm having a similar issue with my Dell laptop. Hard lockups, I've had 3 this morning alone.
    Dell have done a full replacement of every item, SSD, RAM, Mobo and I've done a full windows reinstall each time.
    Are there any tools/programs that can run and log in the background so I can have a chance at catching whatever is causing the issue?

10. FOTW

FOTW Member

Try passmark burnintest its free for 14 days. Set, CPU, RAM, HDD and GPU to 100% and let it run see if it picks up any errors.

https://www.passmark.com/products/burnintest/

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

qwertylesh likes this.