1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Reset - New PC Exclusice FPS

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Linkin, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yep, just a shame about the "mist/dream" layer put over the top of it all.

2. aokman

aokman Member

sign me up also :) im happy to buy it just because its PC only and to show support for it, stick it to all the multi-platform kiddie games :)

3. le_foxx

le_foxx Member

Why don't the robots just nuke the last city?
    And which side do you play as? :lol:

Actually, a good multiplayer angle would be playing as the robot hoardes in a RTS top down view against many FPS single players working together to defeat you.

4. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

You play as the humans, until the last act where it is revealed you're actually a robot and didn't know it. Oh my, the internal conflict!

5. lithos

lithos Member

That was the original idea, but then the execs forced 'em to change it so you drive off into the sunset with your new robo-girlfriend.

The screens do indeed look pretty detailed. Probably because they're designing for platforms that have more RAM on their video card than on the entire Xbox system, so they don't have to pull that "2048 x 2048 on the guns, 512 x512 everywhere else" bullshit.

6. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

This makes me want to play Bladerunner now for all the alternate endings.

7. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

8. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

Doesn't really show anything new or exciting for an fps game tbh

9. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

I think that's the idea. The impression I get from their philosophy is that the developers here, like a certain niche of PC gamers, are disenfranchised with shooters today. Cover shooters with regen-health, scripted encounters and generally unchallenging combat etc. So they go back to what worked in the old days. You've already played this game, it's called Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Unreal and Painkiller just with different levels and nicer graphics. Sounds perfect to a lot of people I'm sure, I'd rather just play something different from either alternative.

10. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

Yeah, will have to see how it goes.

My thinking is those games where amazing for what they where and i enjoyed every second of them, but they just don't work as well in current gaming but then you never know, i can't think of a decent single player FPS in quite a while the sp of the genre has been 'meh' for quite a while imo. (whats mass effect classed as ?)

11. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

12. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Ta, gunna put it in the OP. Looks okay :eek:

13. Malachor

Malachor Member

Easily explained by developers making the single player portion training for multiplayer, ie an afterthought.
    Mass effect is an rpg, or action rpg, not a fps.

14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Tah, thanks. I just post what appears in my GameArena RSS feed. Handy if people want the full resolution upload, and not a cut down YouTube upload.

15. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

another bland FPS

16. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Not as bland as COD after how many damn iterations. It's something new. Maybe not in gameplay but it's a new story, new graphics, etc.

TBH, I am getting sick of Vietnam/WW2/Modern combat. ARMA 3 seems to be heading into the right direction, ultra realistic with creativity and new stuff thrown in. Though it's ARMA as usual.

17. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

Sad thing is I don't think CoD is going away any time soon. New story, new graphics... that's basically why CoD4 was treated like the second coming of Christ when it came out. People were just sick of WW2 games, it didn't matter that it was still the same Call of Duty underneath. Now people are getting sick of the contemporary conflict as well. CoD will probably last long after MW3, as long as they keep changing the window dressing people wont know (or care) that they played this game every year for over half a decade.

18. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Saw the video and story written about this game on Kotaku a couple of days ago.

With it focussing solely on a single player environment and being set in a Cyberpunk/Shadowrun style of universe, the story telling that can occur in this game has a lot of flexibility. Hopefully it will turn out well. :)

19. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

You can link HD videos.

20. lithos

lithos Member

PC Gamer Interview with Flying Wild Hog: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/08/i...all-of-duty-cyberpunk-deus-ex-pc-exclusivity/

Key points covered:

* Fuck consoles, they're weak now. Artistic vision over greed.
    * Custom engine, devs feel Unreal 3 would be inadequate.
    * Old-school, off-rails shooter gameplay that doesn't "play itself" like COD.
    * Is not Deus Ex.

To paraphrase Bob Hawke, any PC gamer who doesn't buy this game is a bum.