Hard Reset - New PC Exclusice FPS

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Linkin, Jul 17, 2011.

1. hvalac

hvalac Member

Also just played and I have to say WOW, it is amazingly flapping bad, the design on the environment looks nice and all, graphics aren't bad looking, oddly enough with all ultra 2xaa @ 1920x1200 res I was burning 967mb on my video card even more interesting I was sitting around the high 60's - mid 70's the whole time.

The bad well... the enemies all practically run in a straight line, the big enemies you will verse do with reason though but it's still a straight line. The big enemies also have an abnormally large hit box on yourself, eg. they don't hit you but you get hit, the big enemies can also run into a wall or a light pole for instance and you will still get hit if your in the vicinity.

There is no crouch so if there is a spot you see which you can normally crouch under to continue on your path then u cant go that way because u can't crouch, also with the spot i'm talking about I initially tried walking through it but it wouldn't let me (I had enough room) that's when crouch would of come into play.

There is no reload on the guns, you just find max ammo around the place from enemies or randomly lying on the ground when enemies are going to be near... So basically it's a 200 bullet spam fest from each gun. (I only tried the N.R.G shotgun and basic gun and X.X.X machine gun).

To get ammo, hp or shield power you just walk over it no need to look at the item and pick it up. In saying that there is actually no use button which is normally e or f, I didn't actually mind the way you accessed the computers / upgrade systems though(A cursor comes up then you move it to the option your after).

Oh yeh I just remembered the sprint system... is BAD, you can run say about 20 meters max (I have NFI how far you can run, it just doesn't seem very far) before you slow to a walking pace for your character to get his breathing back right OR you can literally push the spring button move 1 step and it has the exact same effect / cooldown before you can use it... wtf is with that.

But yeh I hate it I won't buy it., I do appreciate that they gave a demo though, it's real good to see companies release a demo that comes out before the game release and not months after.

2. bragole

bragole (Banned or Deleted)

I have to agree with hvalac.

No crouch, reload or melee in a 2011 FPS is absolutely ridiculous, not to meantion the horrible voice acting.

Ill just buy Serious Sam 3 like everyone else.

3. Raolin

Raolin Member

I liked it.

It plays like an older style shooter, but with some pretty cool new ideas for weapons. I think it's going to become focussed on combining effects from the different fire modes to mercilessly destroy your foes in a hail of lead and plasma.

The demo's only long enough to try out 3 or 4 combos in a single play, but I'll definitely replay to try some more. My favourite so far is to launch a gravity grenade into a swarm of the little guys and watch them flail helplessly before lobbing a regular grenade into the vortex to put them out of their misery. Very satisfying...

The lack of crouch or an interact button felt quite wierd, but it's no great loss. Crouching is for sneaking, and this clearly isn't about sneaking...

I didn't miss reloading either. It's not like I ever kept up sustained fire for more than a few seconds before switching firemodes.

The enemys do tend to just charge you, but there were only melee hostiles in the demo so it does make sense (and the little guys do weave a bit... sometimes).

And yes, it's pretty much impossible to avoid getting smashed by the big guys, even if it looks like you're well clear of them :thumbdn:

Thing thing I found annoying was the menus. The animation is cool the first few times, but when you're changing graphics options, a 2 second delay between between menu screens gets frustrating.

Overall, it has some flaws and hopefully they can get ironed out quickly with some feedback to the devs, but it doesn't change the fact that shooting robots is fun :thumbup:

4. MrBS

MrBS Member

I had a go. It's not worth $27 for me. $5-10 and I'll cop.

5. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Enjoyed it a fair bit. Don't mind not relaoding aas it's set in 2436 or whatever, guess they figured out to make guns not reload by then, fine with me. Enemies were the biggest complaint, though in a short demo wih only two kinds you can't draw to mant conclusions. People need to bitch less.

6. opAsx

opAsx Member

7. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Played the demo last night.

The first thing I noticed was how awesome the engine was. WOW, great physics, great effects, very pretty and it ran smoothly.

But by the end of the demo I did feel that this would be a gimped game in terms of story/gameplay. The story seemed well presented and the game felt quite polished, unfortunately it just didn't seem like it had a whole lot of content/depth.

Shame, though it does look like it has great potential.

8. Win7

Win7 Member

Wahhh!

Only played a couple of minutes because I've been in and out all day and the inhouse engine appears to be paying off. Quiet a risky investment for a studio with only this title to their name.

9. Sundance

Sundance Member

All reviews seem to praise the engine a lot, but say the game could have been better.

10. lithos

lithos Member

I, for one, am happy some of the games "flaws":

* No cut scenes every five feet!

* No bastard screaming at you what, exactly, you have to do next, while the entire world freezes.

* Lack of "cinematic" bullshit.

11. Sundance

Sundance Member

12. lithos

lithos Member

Yeah, I said "some" :). The achievement thing is retarded, because achievements are inherently retarded (and doubly so in SP-only games. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about my game playing.)

Can't comment on the plot, yet. Hopefully if there is DLC it is a) decently priced and b) of decent length.

What most impressed me was the graphics, and you all know how much I don't give a shit about the graphics. It's not the most cutting-edge stuff, but they made it look good for what it is. And they played to the strengths of the PC - strengths that even the most modest of modern systems have - that can't be done on the ancient consoles.

The thing that most impressed - and was most PC shooter-like - was that the huge, detailed open areas. Even though this game, by all rights, could get away with being the claustrophobic (it would fit the setting, and I wouldn't think less of FWH for it,) there's still some room to the levels. Where the first Gorilla jumps out, the view distance is long and unblurred. And everything's already there, right in the RAM, fully-formed and locked down. There's no gimmicky console-limited bullshit like pop-in, fog, windy corridors with a short line-of-sight, or the ol' standby of low-res textures on the environment and high-res textures on the guns. Walk to the end of that street, and nothing changes.

It mightn't be Crysis, but it's definitely not COD or MOH, either. It's smart use of the PC's power, not just e-peen stroking. And it runs well, unlike a lot of those console ports - fuck, of course it does. Most PC gamer's GPUs have more RAM than the entirety of the Xbox/PS3 systems.

But despite what you think of the game, if you're a PC fan, you should buy it. One, it's about the price of a COD map pack. Two, I desperately want these crazy Poles to stand up next year and say "What? EA/Ubi/Activision are bitching about how it's impossible to do a DRM-free, PC-only game because there's no money in it? Well, we're a studio whose first game managed to turn a profit, look good, run well despite the minefield of differing computer hardware, and we coded our own damn engine. What's their point, again?"

13. kreegor

kreegor Member

This. I'll buy it purely because of this!

14. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Same, buying it purely for this.

15. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

All you guys harping on about how PC is dying and devs are leaving, man up and buy this. We've finally got a PC dev house, so support them or all we are going to have are console ports.

16. lithos

lithos Member

Amen, brother. This outweighs all its flaws, in my opinion.

17. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Agreed. No game is perfect. It's the fact there's a PC only dev house that counts. Not that the game is a 10/10 title.

18. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

You sir, make a very strong and reasoned argument as to why I should be buying this game.

I haven't tried the demo but with such a stirring speech, I will put my money where your mouth is!

19. Reaper

Reaper Member

Funny thing is under controls I got the impression of a console port. :)

Big negative on this is the menus. It's novel the first time, but just annoying from there on. Made me want to give up on options and just get out of it.

Actual game, seems doom like with the unability to dodge attacks. Very cool it reminds me of the arcade shooters of old, but yea, definitly shows that they're kidding themselves if they think it's ready for release. I'd insta buy it for $5.

20. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Anyone played the full game yet? It's out, released yesterday!