Hard Reset - New PC Exclusice FPS

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Linkin, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

Well I think it's fun, but not really "great". The engine is superb, and the gameplay buttery smooth, but it's too short (but expected considering the price). The story, while matrix-y, is okay. Large variety in guns, though all the variants are what you'd expect. Enemies are hard as fuck later on, and the game gets a little challenging at points. The quick-saving thing a lot of the reviewers have complained about is not really an issue, except in a few spots. Lot's of secret areas, and not just behind destructible walls. Also, they've put a checkbox which increases the speed of the menus :thumbup:.

2. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Thank fuck for the last one! that really annoyed me in the demo :mad:

3. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Yeah, I agree with Dodoman.

Played it last night. Graphics are good, and it shows they've programmed it around the pc's strengths. Long draw distances, lots of detail, smooth performance.

The gameplay itself is definitely of the "old-school" formula. It's not amazing, and it doesn't bring much "new" to the table, but what is there is solid. Although I must say that the upgrade machine is just rad. One TELLING thing that lets you know it's definitely old school, and you may not be used to anymore? The absence of the "reload" mechanic. When was the last time you played a shooter where you didn't press "R" in the quiet moments? "R" in this game is the nav arrow toggle button. There is no reload mechanic in Hard Reset. You pick up ammo, and you can hold down the fire button until you exhaust your supply. I'm so used to pressing R after mopping up mobs, I keep toggling the arrow on and off. Ha ha.

I'll definitely be completing this one, and will likely buy FWH's next offering also.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. lithos

lithos Member

A proper mouse interface. That's what I'm loving the most. Where it actually knows exactly where the tip of your cursor is on the screen, in real time.

Not that laggy console-port shit you get where it feels like you're dragging a highlight box on a rubber band, because it's not really reading the mouse, but translating the mouse into thumbstick movements and then finding out where the cursor should be.

It's a little thing, but how much better is the real-time, holographic menus for the upgrade stalls that a box-based, pause-the-game interface? Fucking tons, that's how much.

And we get a real, hail-jesus crosshair. A proper, practical point-of-aim indicator, because this game was not designed to be played sitting two metres away from the screen, with autoaim. On my 2209WA, the cross hair is about two pixels at its thickest. Amen, brother.

I'll definitely be completing this one, and will likely buy FWH's next offering also.[/QUOTE]

It's also designed more along the lines of role-playing, in the literal sense that you are the character and bound by the rules of the world (but beyond that, go nuts,) rather than the interactive movie design philosophy of more modern games (ie, over-scripted, if cool shit needs to happen it'll happen, you're an actor at the whims of a director.)

5. amisty

amisty Member

anyone playing this??

6. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

Yea boi!!
    It's pretty damn fun and very challenging on insane (which is awesome).
    Play it... now!

7. dexster

dexster Member

is the game only available through steam?

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

It appears so
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset
    Only mentioned is it's Steam release, and Valve Corp are listed at the distributor.

Maybe if they get some more money, they'll release it through other avenues.

9. amisty

amisty Member

is it only me thats getting 30fps? i dont get it!

10. amisty

amisty Member

and is there a quick save feature i noticed a quick load one?

11. terrapin

terrapin Member

I just played the demo and I loved it. Nice and simple FPS that's the way I like them. I wanna play a video game not watch a movie.

There is no quick save but there is checkpoints which are better imo, too much quicksaving can make things too easy.

I hope they sell enough to make hard reset 2.

Now to play the full game :D:thumbup:

12. bueller

bueller Member

Thread resurrection!

Finally bought this during the sales, it came out while I was in SE Asia and I completely forgot about it, silly me! Really quite an awesome game - considering I paid $5 for it I think I'm going to get a ton of enjoyment out of it :)

Loads of enemies, nice gun upgrades, destroyable environments etc make this such a winner for me too - love restarting a level once I've figured out where all the destroyable stuff is so I can take out the enemies with a minimum of ammo :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  13. tek_01

tek_01 Member

Really enjoying this too, only got it to do achievements as it was only $5 but just playing it long enough to get the 50 kills made me want to continue

14. cccino

cccino Member

Hope it goes on encore sale since I totally forgot to buy it :lol:

15. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Me too! I bagged the ARMA 2 DLC's instead.

16. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

New Free DLC added...

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8385/

Nice one.. I had it in my mind that this was going to be a paid for expansion, but good on the developer for keeping it free for existing owners..

17. lithos

lithos Member

I like Flying Wild Hog. I really do.

I can't wait to see their next game. Even if it's a turn-based RPG picture-framing simulator, I think they deserve some cash.

18. Azrael

Azrael Member

Finally got around to playing and completing this. Good fun, glad i did.

19. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

20. Lou

Lou Member