Hard wiring toggle switch to mech keyboard

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wolfie870, Mar 9, 2016.

1. wolfie870

wolfie870 Member

Hi all,

Concept = hard wiring a toggle switch across the pins of a key, effectively being able to switch it on and off (for autorun).

Would this work? I’m assuming a mech keyboard’s PCB will have 2 x pins, and a press will be essentially a momentary switch than completes the circuit?

I know this can be done with macros etc, not sure if I will go down this path, just wanted to know feasibility

2. TheMathewNorman

TheMathewNorman Member

Not quite sure what you mean, are you asking whether you can attach a switch to what would usually be a key on the keyboard?

Your assumptions about the keys are correct though, it just closes a circuit with the pressing of the key.

3. OP
    OP
    wolfie870

wolfie870 Member

What I'm trying to do, is basically create an on/off switch for my W key for games that don't have autorun.

So if i were to attach wires and hook up a SPST switch across the pins, would my keyboard essentially work as normal, but i have the option to emulate holding down W by switching it on and off?

As i said, i know this can be done through macros, or by placing an object on the key itself to achieve the same result

4. TheMathewNorman

TheMathewNorman Member

Yes, it is definitely possible, but I don't think it would be worth the money and time.

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I mean... you will almost definitely be able to find software to emulate a held key...

6. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Have you had a close look at the pcb tracks of a keyboard before? There's not much space to work with to solder wires onto.

To avoid fouling with the normal operation of the key, you'd have to drill holes from the underside, route the wires from there, and solder into the leading tracks. I don't think you'd be able to solder onto the actual contact pads.

7. miicah

miicah Member