1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardware for FTTC

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by maldotcom2, Jun 23, 2020.

1. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Can anyone recommend a modem/router that will work with FTTC NBN? I'm not familiar with the hardware requirements. I've read that any device with a WAN port will work? Or is there a specific technology that I need to search for?

ISP is giving me the run around and can't organise me a device, so I've gotta go buy my own.

2. rireland

rireland Member

Should be supplied a nbn modem specifically for fttc. Router can then be whatever.

Pugs likes this.
  3. Pugs

Pugs Member

this.. then choose your own hardware if you don't have a requirement for a home phone

4. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

So the modem is a proprietary device similar to the FTTH box? Is it supposed to be free?

For clarity, it's a rental property I'm moving into and there's no hardware present. I paid for a modem from the ISP, but they're unable to deliver.

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Part of your NBN connection is a network termination device (NTD). It's not just a modem, it's also a reverse power device that powers your distribution point unit out in the pit on the street (DPU, think of it as a mini dslam if that's the terminology you're familiar with) that looks like this: (excuse the mess, it's under a cupboard that never gets cleaned)

[​IMG]

That device is owned by NBN and should remain with the property. It supplies ONLY an ethernet connection with zero NAT or anything like that. If that device is missing, then you need to tell your RSP you have no NTD and they will arrange a new one through NBN. That shouldnt cost you money.

On your side of that is where a router (not modem) is required, and you can use whatever damned router you like. The device you seem to have paid your RSP for is a router. You dont have to use theirs. If you dont have a box like the above photo, you need to tell your RSP so.

EDIT - To clarify, the NTD is not necessarily wall mounted, I have wall mounted mine myself. it's just a modem-like-box and plugpack.

EDIT 2 - And for gods sake just go with one of the good RSPs like aussie broadband or skymesh or... if this is anything like TPG or (modern) iinet or whatever you're dealing with it's not a wonder they're giving you the runaround. Tell them to go fuck themselves

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    JSmithDTV and Wozzernux like this.
  6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

In a rental it's plausible the install has never been completed. Has happened to me several times in the past 5 years, NBN-connected area but the residents have never signed up because they didn't need it or used their phones or whatever.

In that case, when you sign up the RSP should schedule an NBN appointment to get it sorted.

7. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah you're quite right. In which case, maldotcom2 , throw your address into ABB's poi checker which actually gives you your service code and give us the service code it tells you. It'll be a number between 30 and 33. If it's not 33, then theSeekerr is correct

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

That's a cool tool, hadn't seen that before. Confirms what I thought was going on with the place I'm moving into in a few weeks...ONT installed but no NTD. Appointment scheduled for the afternoon after I pick up the keys so no big deal.

9. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

10. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  11. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Hmm, alrighty. Well looks like I'm not going to have internet when I move in, despite my best efforts. I didn't see an NCD during the inspection, but it's possibly stuffed in a cupboard somewhere. If it's not there, the previous tenants must have taken it and I'll have to push 'node to arrange a new one through NBN Co.

Gibbon likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

I called the ISP again today, turns out I have to wait until the service is "active", then they can ask NBN to send me a new NCD. Ok that solves that issue.

The other thing that came up, is apparently my router device needs to support VLAN tagging? Currently using a Fritzbox 7560 that doesn't appear to offer that feature. Any suggestions?

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Personally I'd churn to Aussie Broadband. A better ISP (IMHO), and they also don't use VLAN tagging. Just set your router's WAN connection to DHCP and you're away.

Pugs likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Yeah I wish I went with Aussie Broadband now. All I read is good reports. Not sure I can back out now after already paying first month though.

15. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/...TZ-Box-for-use-with-a-fiber-optic-connection/

Gibbon likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

CQGLHyperion likes this.