Hardware mods gone wrong – confess your sins.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by badmofo, May 25, 2016.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

I don’t have too much to confess really, but then my projects are usually pretty small scale. I once killed an iPhone 3 while trying to replace the battery (was using the wrong instructions). I killed an AT PSU and nearly myself tinkering with the power switch (didn’t understand the difference b/w AT and ATX).

I’m sure the true hackers here will have some more interesting fails that they need to get off their chests?

2. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I tried to remove a mod chip from an early PS1 as it was installed badly, and managed to render the motherboard completely cactus.

Was a while back, still have it in case I somehow can fix it (presumably via osmosis).

3. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I made a support bracket and bolt mod for a s775 P4 - shorted out the motherboard ha ha.

4. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

During my first week of work experience in the mid 90's I was working for a computer shop building Pentium PC's. Didn't realise the floppy cable had a pin slot filled in, so when trying to install it I used a bit more force getting to connect to the motherboard. "CRACK" ... Looked around, boss didn't notice. I actually pushed the pin straight through the other side. After finishing the build the machine powered up ok and no errors. So sold it to the business that bought it without saying anything. :wired:

I continued to work there after work exp during the xmas holidays for a bit of cash, ... well computer parts (cash never left the register as I traded for parts). That PC never came back, so figured I was off the hook :Pirate:

5. jmannik

jmannik Member

During the Athlon XP days I had a Gigabyte GA-K8N400 Pro 2 mother board... well two of them. The first one had a failed bios update which I then decided to try cut the first bios chip off to try force it to boot off the secondary (I knew it was boned so I thought "Fuck it").

I did this knowing I was going to the local computer store to order a new board... those were the days.

6. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Back when the S478 Pentium 4 just came out a friend bought one and subsequently dropped it breaking some pins. He then went out and bought another one ($800ish if I remember right) and wanted me to install it because he was too scared to mess it up..

Well I did, but managed to install it in the wrong position. We only realised this after taking the clamped HSF off, and seeing a pin now wedged in the blank corner of the s478 socket.

Not a great day -_-

Oh and I cracked my fair share of CuMine P3 CPUs with that damned TT GoldenOrb!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. shane41

shane41 Member

Prefer sticking metal in powerpoints. Always gave me a kick :leet:

.......but yes early to learn about that 120V red switch on the psu

8. Martyn

Martyn Member

I killed at least one, if not two Athlon chips when using a vapochill case.....

9. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Killed a PSU (and tripped a fuse in the process) in my mid teens not knowing what the 120/240 switch was for :lol:

I killed a ps1 laser playing around with the pot. I have about 20 spare tho so i dont care :lol:

In terms of mod removal ive been pretty lucky, for xbox, snes and even a megadrive I removed bad hw mods that rendered the consoles dead and they came back to life as stock unmodded :)

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'd been messing with a board a few months ago, having trouble with one of the ram slots. Z170 ITX, GTX 970 and 6600K in a Phanteks Evolv Mini with a custom loop. Gave it a good squirt of contact cleaner, figured I'd do the rest of the board for good measure... had a couple of orange stains from spilt coolant I'd wiped away.

Must have somehow knocked a pin out of a molex connector while working on it. Sitting at my desk with wifey ranting about the smell, all looks dry, power it up. Molex wire shorts on the chassis, ignites pool of contact cleaner which is hiding on the bottom of the case.

Metre high flames on the desk in front of me and her.. me ripping out the power cord, dragging the flaming box away from our monitors while trying to tell her calmly to bring a couple of wet towels ASAP without panicking. She did well, I was proud of her.

The only part of the PC that survived was the CPU and rads, the rest went into the recycling, but the desk, monitors and surrounding shit like ummm the house and us... survived unscathed.

Next time I'll check more closely before flicking any switches..

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Woopsie!

This reminds me of something I did about 6 months ago - a lot less exciting. I was doing a general clean-up in my i5 desktop and discovered that my PSU was modular, so decided to take out the cables I didn't need. To keep things simple I just unplugged them all from the PSU and tugged on them. Any that came away from the PC I clearly didn't need, and the rest I plugged back in to the PSU.

The PC was off of course but somehow both of my HDD's were fried during the re-plug, including my beloved WD Velociraptor. Stone cold dead they were, wouldn't even spin up :(