Harley keyfobs

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by xc351, Feb 5, 2020.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

Has anyone played arround with harley key fobs new bikes are 100% keyless start. Presume many cars would use similar tech.

Is it as simple as rfid, can we clone it onto a card/chip or similar.

Ideally I'd like to simply stich one into my riding gloves (presuming I can get it o to a small enough device)

I think there an active unit but have no idea what the batt would do.

The oem unit is large and bulky

2. Rass

Rass Member

No, it's a code hopping unit like modern car fobs. I know you can get replacements, but the main cost is getting them set up on the bike.
    What's wrong with in your pocket or on a lanyard? If you really don't want to use a fob, there's a the pin code which you can program.

3. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Yea ive used the pin a few times. Just an extra thing to carry. Seen some cars that use a simple rfid car style.

It's not that it's massive or anything. Just seems like I have 1000 keys here I do seperate them but would be nice to streamline it.

4. mjunek

mjunek Member

When my uncle bought his keyless start Harley, he was warned never to put it in the bike jacket; but to always keep it in your pants somewhere.

Reason-
    1. You start the bike in the garage
    2. You go for a ride around the block to fill the bike up
    3. You fill up the bike
    4. You realise you left the jacket in the garage, near the bike.
    5. Umm...shit.

5. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Yea that's why I was thinking glove or helmet. There is a pin code that u can insert via indicators.

If they have locked it down that much its not worth playing with don't want to simply make a new token but make it much smaller.

I read to much fb and random crap on the net and I'm concerned someone could use a $20 scanner and clone the key or amplify the signal.

6. Hater

Hater Member

they're stolen so often (via vans) that if it was that easy to clone them it would be a massive well advertised thing.

7. merlin13

merlin13 Member

As already noted, if it was easy to clone then lots more Hardlies would be on the "Missing, Presumed Dead" list at the insurers.

So stop fartarsing around - buy another key coded to your bike and cut it up.

8. mtma

mtma Member

One legit problem with passive keyless entry/start (the one where you don't have to touch your fob ever) is the repeater attack. Cheap aftermarket systems will definitely be susceptible, many manufacturer systems are too.

With a repeater attack it depends on how the immobiliser system is programmed, but based on mjunek's story I guess the Harley bike system won't do anything until it's turned off again. I guess killing the engine suddenly on a bike is far more unsafe than a car.

9. Hater

Hater Member

eh, always depends on the situation, but because harley are retarded and have a right hand indicator button (rather than a switch for both on the left like normal) i end up hitting the ign kill switch all the time on mine, takes a few seconds to realise why the go go is no working...

10. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Ive started my bike said f*k this taken of my jacket as its to hot thrown it in the back of the ute went and did my thing then realised once i go to start my bike again, then had to do the code thing more than once.

But agreed harey being harley is always a pain