Has anyone else moved on from Sickbeard?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by gruntLOL, Jan 8, 2015.

1. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

I love this program but it's lack of customization is starting to get frustrating. A big annoyance is how when thetvdb decides it wants to structure seasons in one way and you can't change it and it sort of breaks shows. I can't even change the show data so that I can at least tweak it to my liking. Not that I've been able to find anyway.

I like the way that it tracks everything and *most* things are automatic but it something doesn't quite fit the mold boy does it not fit the mold.

What are the best alternatives at the moment? The most important things for me are the move and rename feature as well as alerting XBMC of snatch / completion.

2. tzortst

tzortst Member

https://sonarr.tv/

Install sonarr and you will never look back, leaves sickbeard for dead!

3. Rezin

Rezin Member

Although they're having an issue or two at the moment, with Trakt modifying their API. (make sure you're using the latest version of Sonarr, which uses TVDB instead of Trakt)

4. kesawi

kesawi Member

http://sickrage.tv

It's a sickbeard fork which fixes a lot of the issues with Sickbeard. Key additions over sickbeard:

• Can choose different sources for episode naming when adding a show
    • Supports anime and sequential episode numbering
    • Support both usenet and torrents
    • Automatic failed download handling (will automatically switch from usenet to torrent)
    • Nicer looking interface

Not sure how it compares to Sonarr

5. tzortst

tzortst Member

Trakt sources it's data from TVDB anyway then they enrich the data.
    Best thing about sonarr is it also incorporates Xem http://thexem.de/ which eliminates alot of the problems in relation to TVDB and their order of episodes

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

What's the issue people have with SB and series naming? I love the idea of automatically doing something about failed downloads, but otherwise I never hear or see SB as he grinds away in the background.

7. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I still just use an RSS feed in rutorrent.... Works flawlessly (except sometimes i get episodes twice due to repacks)

8. tzortst

tzortst Member

Sickbeard feeds all of its episode information from thetvdb, there are a number of shows where this information is incorrect of tvdb which causes sickbeard to name and download the incorrect episode. unfortunately the mods/admins over at tvdb are stuck in their ways and won't allow for these shows to be changed.

thexem runs in between sonarr/sickrage and thetvdb and corrects a lot of these ordering issues. There are a number of threads on the sickbeard forums etc into the issue. http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4674

9. grommet80

grommet80 Member

Not really, well, I went to Sickbeard PirateBay edition and then to SickRage when MrOrage called it quits.

10. Statts

Statts RIP

Another +1 for Sonarr. It's simply a better product than SB.

11. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Subbing to this thread.

Since the untimely demise of a "crowd favourite", that stored all the shows I watched, and when they came out / new seasons premiered, I've had to look for alternatives.

I've heard Sickbeard tossed around but not the alternatives.

So do these programs allow you to choose what shows you watch, and it'll just put them onto a selected storage device (e.g Synology NAS or WD Live Hub) when they come out?

12. Renza

Renza Member

Came here to say look at NZBdrone, but looks like they just renamed to Sonarr. So +1 to this mob. Does error handing (failed usenet downloads) unlike sickbeard which is a massive, massive plus

13. HeXa

HeXa Member

yep - I've recently moved to Sonarr as well

OP - by default it is for Usenet, but Torrents are supported on dev builds.

go into the settings, change to advanced view and change Branch to "develop"

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

since i setup Sickbeard and insisted to not use newsgroups, the whole ezrss takedown has stripped the majority of functionality.

Glad there are some alternatives i can look into when I have nothing to do :thumbup:

15. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Just did this myself, went from SickBeard to SickRage. Worth the change for so many little fixes and additions. If you like SickBeard, do it.

16. Tekin

Tekin Member

Switched over to sonarr - looking good so far.

One question - is it possible to set it to 'fill in the gaps'? got one or two series that are missing some earlier eps.

17. grommet80

grommet80 Member

ezrss had been flaky for years for me. It's why I went to the piratebay fork and then sickrage.

Now I just use newsgroups anyway.

18. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Just thought I would post back and say at time of posting I was checking out Sonarr and it feels like a much better solution than Sickbeard.

The naming issue I had on a show was fixed within 24 hours and just required I manually rename a few offending files all new ones have been fine (thexem is a great idea). I feel it runs a little faster on my machine and I much prefer the interface.

It might also be coincidence as I changed a few other windows settings around to prevent it sleeping as often but it also seems to update shows more regularly for me too.

Much happier definitely recommend it but horses for courses if SB is working then I guess theres no real need to swap.

19. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I just installed Sonarr and added in all the shows only to find I can't add NZB.su an indexer?! The hell...

Oh, maybe I can...

20. Tekin

Tekin Member

yeah - that threw me as well for a moment

Click on the presets button under newznab. I think they are clumping all that are using the same back end systems together. That's where you'll find dogs and nzbgeek.